1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Off

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Jun 1, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

I didnt realize Dunn was so much younger.....thats a huge factor in rebuilding. Given the ages, I think I may have to reverse field and go with Dunn.

2. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

But you left out the fact that he walks 100 times a year, which is something that has to be added to the equation to get an honest evaluation.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I think this is an incorrect statement, and a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. Ensberg has had a tremendous season, I don't think anyone will argue with that. But Dunn's has been better.

Ensberg may be batting 40 points higher than Dunn, but Dunn still leads in OBP and SLG by a pretty significant margin. And Dunn is 5 years younger.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Adam Dunn in much younger than Giles, better athlete, better defender. Who cares if he strikeout so much, he hits home runs. Playing for his hometwon team may also help.

4. Nick

Nick Member

I think we're saying the same thing, just leaning to different sides.

I'm saying that Dunn doesn't deserve all the hype of being this great HR hitter because of all the K's... and in the end, his impact on a team is no greater than Morgan Ensberg's (despite Dunn's better SLG and OBP... the K's DO make a difference).

The contrary opinion (which is still just saying the same thing) is that Dunn still produces despite striking out so much because of his walks and HR's.

Overall, its still the same no matter "which side" you look at it from (the positive or negative light).

Also, I already said that his 100 walks last year was just as much of a product of the Reds having no other threats in the lineup. Additionally, with the amount of times Dunn K's, you can't blame pitchers for not throwing much in the K zone to him... I credit him for drawing at least that many walks, otherwise his season (despite the 46 HR's) would have been a complete disaster.

In the end, you can't tell me that a guy has a "great eye" when he K's almost 200 times.

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Member

But he's done it every season at every level. I'm not sure what other conclusion you can draw from that.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

7. The Real Shady

Damn, he really does want to come home. That's the type of guy that the astros usually go after because they can get a hometown discount with them also.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wow if the fans realized this and the players realized this why can't the front office?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who's to say they haven't?

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

They didn't or they would have done it in the offseason.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

You are right ... The just decided to get no one in the offseason :rolleyes:

It's simple .. They went for the big fish and put everything into Beltran and they got played. You can criticize them for going all in for Beltran, but I don't know how you can say that they tried to do nothing.

I was in agreement with the Astros strategy for the most part up until the point they didn't get Beltran so I can't complain about what they did in the offseason, but they did try something. The strategy just didn't work.

If they do nothing this offseason, then I'll be right behind you in criticizing the organization. I think they made a valiant effort last offseason, and I think they will do it again this offseason, but with much better results.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks. My face can't get any bluer.

13. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

Todd Helton Splits (2005)
    Home (23/80 (.288) 3 HR (.513 SLG) 13 RBI (.954 OPS))
    Road (22/93 (.237) 2 HR (.355 SLG) 6 RBI (.709 OPS))

3-year Splits
    Home (323/851 (.380) 62 HR (.699 SLG) 197 RBI (1.181 OPS))
    Road (258/832 (.310) 33 HR (.517 SLG) 125 RBI (.939 OPS))

And if you're worried about his road stats, check out his numbers at MMP over the same period:

MMP (14/33 (.424) 2 HR (.727 SLG) 8 RBI (1.215 OPS))

2005 Salary: $12.6 Mil
    Signed through 2011 with almost $131 Mil (18+ mil per year avg.) remaining on his deal. Of course, the Rockies would have to pick up some of this money.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

:eek: That's a lot of dough he's owed.

I'd be happy with Helton if the Rockies did pay part of his salary, though.

15. RIET

RIET Member

My personal preference is they go the youth route.

It may be painful but it's better than to overspend on players like Helton.

16. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

When they Rockies dealt Hampy, they had to pick up some of his salary too. Helton is 31 years old and has 6 years left on his contract. He plays a position where speed is not a factor. The only question is will his production fall off significantly in the next 6 years?!? If guys like Rafael Palmeiro can still hit 40+ home runs in his late 30's, why can't Helton? True, he'd be in the field every day, but his body will recoup faster not playing up in the altitude half the time.

My point is that you don't know how long you're window of opportunity is going to be open. Picking a player of Helton's elk extends that (IMHO) for the duration of his contract. Oswalt is in place, we have some young arms in the system, and we have a young, talented closer. Pettitte is signed for one more year, Clemens might be willing to come back for another year if he (WE) finish the season strong. He obviously still has "it." Backe is an improving pitcher who is playoff tested somewhat. You can't be afraid to think big and miss.

We offered 100+ mil to Beltran and everyone was concerned that he'd lose a step as he grew older. Obviously, Beltran losing a step is more of a detriment to his career than Helton given their postion and Beltran's baserunning.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Doesn't Helton also have a history of back problems?

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I agree with Lance. Actually, that was my exact point during the winter. Either get younger or go for it all. Especially considering the year we had last year.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, in a sense they did. They went for it all in Beltran and got burned. In the recent history of baseball, you rarely see big trades before June. Unfortunately, with the start we've had, I wouldn't be surprised if we waited until the offseason to make any moves.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Uh yeah thanks for putting words in my mouth.:rolleyes:

I don't care that they didn't get anyone in the offseason, that's not what irritates me. I'm pissed because they resigned Clemens and Biggio and surrounded them with a Triple A team. If you want to go youth then freaking do it. Do not resign Biggio since he's in the way of Burke. Do not resign Clemens who eats up 18 million dollars in payroll. Let all the kids play, all of them. Tank the damn season, resign Oswalt and Berkman, get the #1 draft pick, and save your money for next season. The following season sign a good young free agent or two and rebuild the team. The Bagwell and Biggio era is done. They came close but it just didn't happen.

If you wanted to go for a one last hurrah then resign Clemens, Biggio, and Kent. Give Beltran a set date, make a decision by this date or we're looking elsewhere. Trade Burke, Backe, etc. for Soriano. Sign a Burnitz or an Alou if Beltran couldn't make up his mind by the set date. In other words full speed ahead, put every possible egg in the basket and build on last years momentum.

The Astros split the difference with a mix of old vets and green youngsters. Result? A wasted season because the front office had no contingency in the event of Beltran signing elsewhere.

I'm glad the players realize that these are the two avenues to take as well. It's just too bad Berkamn didn't say anything sooner when it could have made a difference.

My face can't get any bluer either.