1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

It's happening...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Wattafan, Aug 15, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think you are being overly dramatic

- Wattafan

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Obey the law

3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Which is why I am all for better qualified personnel to deal with particular cases.
    What I am not for is reducing the force when there is clearly a need for the ones we already have. They are even reducing cadet training. Ridonculous.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

So why try to fix something that isn't broken?

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I say we move Austin to Mexico and let Houston become the next capital

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

You're spot on...

Its not about lowering the police or anything else negative towards the police...

It's about having the police do police work and get better training..

T_Man

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Policing should be prevention. Not door kicking and revenue collection.

Robert Peel principles for policing. Number one:

To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelian_principles

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Police officers usually call in experts like paramedics, etc,.

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Right.
    So how do we deal with culture that breeds crime and hopelessness?
    Continuous handouts are fiscally untenable and a burden on society.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve just skimmed this thread and while I agree that we need to reform LE this seems rushed and more reactionary than a well thought out process.

In Minneapolis where there was a major push to defund the police with the mayor famously being booed when he said he was against defunding this process has been put on hold. Even after the City Council votes to “defund” it was stated as it wasn’t going to be a rushed process and as is the city charter commission has put it on hold.

This is an issue that definitely needs to be approached carefully. I agree that there are many services that should be taken out of LE hands but how we untangle that isn’t easy. I also believe that reform requires not defunding but actually more to train LE better and attract better people to the force.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Many of them lived through the 70s and 80s with US cities were violent, crime riddled hell holes. Since then, the US and most major cities have consistently invested in larger and larger police forces with a corresponding drop in violent crime...which has consistently lowered over the last 3 decades almost everywhere. Many of the "defund the police" people weren't even born when major US cities were so terrible so they have no point of reference.

If its about shifting budgets to places that will lower crime, it is an interesting thought experiment...if it is actually about reducing police to near 0 levels (which BLMs own website claims despite what defenders say on the internet), then its going to backfire.

We shall see. We are playing with fire. Maybe it'll work and crime will continue to go down in these big cities. Or maybe crime will skyrocket resulting in Republican law and order candidates sweeping the nation after people get tired of 20% increases in violent crime.

Wattafan likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So it's time to stop corporate handouts as they are fiscally untenable and a burden on society and it's time we spent that money on educating children, solving a homelessness problem, addressing lack of health insurance that forces people into death and bankruptcy. That's a good start my friend, I'm with you on that one.

o_O

Bootstrap sloganeering is so gauche.

13. bobrek

Did you bother reading the article i posted? What problems do you see with what St. Petersburg is doing?

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Actually, I was thinking about the taxpayer.
    Hence the word "society".

15. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I read your post - I figured it was the gist of the link.

16. bobrek

So... what complaints do you have about what St. Petersburg plans to do?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

#1 - Response time. Are they going to have specially marked cars with sirens?
    #2 - Situations aren't always predictable which is why police responders are armed.
    #3 - more responders may be required and how many mental health experts (for example)are going to be available? Who else may respond quickly? Cops.

18. bobrek

Read the article... do some research and you will find the answers (at least as they pertain to St. Petersburg).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member