1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's a bit early, but who should play The Joker?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Seems the chatter for this has increased lately. I was checking out the movie news at IMDB when I noticed that Paul Bettany was rumored to be in the running (I can't believe I didn't consider him already). Anyways, I found a nice breakdown of possible candidates and other good choices.:
    [​IMG]
    http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/628/628645p1.html?

The Stax Report's "Clown Prince" Edition
    Casting suggestions for the next Batman film!

June 23, 2005 - Stax here with a special "Clown Prince" edition of The Stax Report! Today I'll be offering my thoughts on which actors might be best to succeed Jack Nicholson as The Joker in the next Batman movie. As most of you die-hard Bat-fans surely know by now, the ending of Batman Begins hints at who might be the villain in the inevitable sequel.

The candidates I've selected are actors first and stars second (indeed, only one of them currently has any true marquee value). This is in keeping with director Christopher Nolan's casting the best actors possible for Batman Begins rather than the rotating guest-star casting of the prior Bat-films. Some of these actors were suggested to me by readers so thanks for putting the bug in my ear.

I'm leaving off oft-rumored contenders Crispin Glover and Lachy Hulme (I've never seen him in anything so I can't have an opinion on him). I'm also excluding Mark Hamill. Here goes:

Paul Bettany: This tall, pale, lanky British thesp is best known to stateside audiences for his supporting roles in two Russell Crowe starrers, A Beautiful Mind and Master & Commander. It was while watching the British crime pic Gangster No. 1, however, that I became convinced that Bettany could work as The Joker (I first suggested casting him in my review of Batman Begins).

In Gangster No. 1, Bettany plays a smartly dressed, psychopathic hoodlum. With his haunting eyes and maniacal grin, Bettany proved that he could be darkly humorous, intimidating and creepy all at the same time. You can imagine then my delight when I learned that, according to Batman-on-Film, Bettany is rumored to actually be in the running to play the Clown Prince. He does seem, given the casting of Begins, like the type of actor Nolan might cast next time around. I can just see Bettany going toe-to-toe with Christian Bale.

Johnny Depp: He seems to be the current fanboy fave for the role and, given his newfound box office value, Depp might be the smart money bet. He certainly has the acting chops and quirkiness for the role but I wonder if he has the menace; there is an innate goodness and naivete that Depp projects that might keep one from believing his Joker capable of such horror. Still, Depp's star power might be necessary for the next film.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Batman Begins has done well domestically and abroad but not truly spectacular business (not Spidey-sized numbers). It's only fair then that Warner Brothers consider ways to get more people in seats next time around and casting a big name like Depp could work. Fanboys would probably be happy and general audiences would be keen to see him in the role. Depp is also a strong enough actor to not be engulfed by the shadow of Jack Nicholson. The question is whether Depp, a friend and constant collaborator of original Batman director Tim Burton, would agree to do the role since Nolan and screenwriter David Goyer have gone on record criticizing Burton's films.

Jude Law: Like Depp, Law is another pretty boy who is actually a damn fine actor. Law can play the romantic hero or the wicked cad equally well so I think he'd make for an interesting Joker. He has slightly more star power than some of my other suggestions but isn't a big enough name to overshadow Bale. I could very easily see Law in the facepaint and purple suit.

Alan Cumming: IGN FilmForce's very own Ken Plume is the one who first suggested to me that Cumming could make for a good Joker. Now that it appears he will not be reprising his role as Nightcrawler in X-Men 3, he might actually be able to do this role. Cumming has the impish look of the cartoon Joker, that certain malevolent glint in his eye. He also seems to dress like the Clown Prince on his own time so it's not difficult to see him carrying off Joker's outfits. He's a wee bit short for the role but so was Nicholson.

Tim Roth: I first suggested Roth for The Joker way back in July 2003 when I offered my dream cast for Batman Begins. Roth has the acting skill, twisted wit and sadistic edge that the role requires. Like Cumming and Depp, he's shorter than the comic book character but Roth's villainous turns as the devilish dandy in Rob Roy, Dutch Schultz in Hoodlum and General Thade in Planet of the Apes convince me that he could make The Joker his own.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Adrien Brody: Brody has something that no other Joker candidate I've mentioned has: an Academy Award for Best Actor. Like Depp, though, I'm not sure he's menacing enough for the part. Still, his long features, gangly build and punkish attitude seem right for The Joker. And, after King Kong opens this December, Brody will have a blockbuster to point to on his resume. That shouldn't hurt his chances of becoming the next Clown Prince.

Who do you think should play The Joker in the next Batman film? – STAX

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

crispin glover would be cool - you are my density...i mean destiny

marilyn manson - since he didnt get to play willie wonka

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

I think Crispin Glover would make a most excellent Joker.

The perfect blend of brooding, crazy, charismatic, and schizophrenia.

[​IMG]

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

No pretty boys, please …

(Although Jude Law is a huge comic book fan and would definitely take the material seriously. How about Jude Law for Harvey Dent/Two Face? Part of the tragedy of Two Face is that Harvey Dent was dashing before the accident.)

I actually think Paul Bettany is a very interesting choice.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

It HAS to be Crispin Glover. The guy is insane, anyway.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Can anybody come close to Nicholson's performance in the first one? I doubt it.

8. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I second khan here with Paul Bettany...I bet with the right makeup they can make this guy really look crazy...but I don't think Jude Law has enough physical presence to play 2 Face...

9. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The voice from the animated series..

None other than LUKE SKYWALKER!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#10 DonnyMost, Jun 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The voice would be absolutely perfect. Too bad Hamill is too old, isn't much of an actor, and would make the weirdest sight of all time; Luke Skywalker with white makeup, flopping around with insane evilness.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cockknocker.

13. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

If they're going to make yet another batman movie, they need to get a new villain. Leave everyone else that's already been done alone. I watched Batman Begins with enthusiasm because everything's come full circle - we know how Batman got started - what else is there to know or see besides new villains?

I'm not remotely interested in this new movie, unless Johnny Depp gets cast as the Joker, I'll wait for it to air on HBO and watch it just for him.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Mark Hamill too old ? He is younger than Nicholson was when he played the Joker! & no one, NO ONE, will touch Jack's performance. :cool:

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they're going to do a Batman movie with the Joker, they MUST use The Killing Joke graphic novel as inspiration. This gives a much more tragic background to the Joker and makes him much more of a character rather than a caricature. Plus, it was written by Alan Moore (who did the Watchmen series) and drawn by Brian Bolland (Judge Dread artist and one of the best comic artists ever), which gives its lots of good visual ideas to translate to the big screen.

The picture posted by Chance looks pretty cool, though maybe a bit too vampirish. One of the things that makes the Joker such an interesting adversary to Batman is that they're each other's opposite. Batman is the deadly serious good guy who lurks in the shadows while the Joker is the humorous bad guy who runs around brazenly in the light of day.

16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Bring back Jack!

17. cdastros

cdastros Member

There is a rumor that Nolan wants Sean Penn to play the joker

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Sean Penn couldn't take that job away from Jude Law, "one of the finest actors of our generation" :rolleyes:

19. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I wouldn't mind Ben Affleck if only for the sole purpose of watching Batman beat him up. Imagine the symbolism of Gotham giving Beantown the beatdown.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Jack was 52 when Batman came out. Hamill is currently 54. And since they probably won't start filming for another two years, and the fact that the Joker is in the third Batman movie, Hamill will be pushing 60 by the end of this new series. So yes, I think he's too old.