1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"It was a horrible day"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jwayne, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jwayne

jwayne Member

I keep seeing this posted regarding today's trades... Let's face it, the only reason many are underwhelmed or disappointed is because they had some grand idea that we were going to land first, Melo... When that wasnt going to happen, they thought we would get Nene... Then Gerald Wallace and so on and on... The moves make sense... Get something, anything, for guys that we most likely were not going to brought back. Goran Dragic isnt going to be any worse for us than Aaron Brooks is plus we got a 1st round pick which, it may not be the top pick but its an assett. With Thabeet we get a KID who is 7'3" that is a good shot blocker who has never even been given a real opportunity. He will at least have Sikma and CD around to mentor him. Potentially on occasion, Dream too. Will he pan out and be decent? I have no idea... But again, we also got a pick in that deal for an aging Battier and Ish... A 1st round pick is an assett. I have no problems with what we did today. I think everyone just had this grand idea we were going to get a super star and I ask, with what player or players were we going to do that?

2 people like this.
  2. rockettexan24

rockettexan24 Member

exactly, we had a good day, fans here tend to overrate certian players, rudy gay, Aaron brooks, and a whole bunch of other players, and well Houston fans aren't happy unless their complaining about something

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I agree with all this, but eventually we'll have to keep it all to one thread. Or at least have one "Great Job Today Morey" thread and one "WHY does Morey suck so bad and he didn't trade for the entire all star team" thread. Cause most of the threads clogging up the first page are either positive "keep your head up" threads like this one, or negative "I wanna go die in a hole, the sky is falling" threads.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I kept hearing that we were willing to "take on money." Where's the money? Our payroll just went down. One of the things that bugs me is that the Blazers got Wallace for a bag of pecans and a PEZ dispenser. What's up with that?

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

I think we would all agree that in order for us to be playoff contenders that we needed a legit bigman... well we did all we could but couldnt interest any teams to trade us a big, so why give up prospects for a possible short term solution wing man when we are stacked with young wings with tons of upside... FREE TWILL

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My son was really bummed out after getting out of high school today. I warned him not to expect much, but the Kevin Martin trade last year had his hopes way up there.

7. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

You guys are smoking crack, these moves were garbage and I won't be buying Rockets tickets for a long time. We are still stuck inbetween making the playoffs and tanking. We should have moved Martin for some draft picks if we are gonna tank and rebuild but now we just have a mish mash of parts. I really think Morey has regressed and I agree with what some are saying around here and in the basketball community that we need a new owner and yes a new GM.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I like Gerald Wallace, I think getting a player like him would not have helped us out in the long term. Don't get me wrong, we definitely would of been a better team, but how much better? Is definitely not worth it to add a lot more salary if we are going to be stuck in no man's land (or purgatory as some refer to it). Gerald would of perhaps gave us a chance to fight for an 8th seed at most, but quite frankly we would of had the same problem at the end, not being able to close out teams. G-Force is also injury form and putting on a Rocket uniform, would not have helped him. I seriously pray for his health because Portland is the place where injury prone players die. :(

9. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Our front office talks a good talk but the actions lately show something else. It looks more like a consignment store then a NBA franchise, I mean seriously wtf direction is this team going? There were options out there better than what we got but I really think that Les has pulled the plug on spending.

10. thekad

thekad Member

It's not a matter of high expectations. It's the fact that we would have been better off doing absolutely nothing.

11. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

^THIS 100% THIS^

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Gee, where would anyone get the idea that the Rockets would come out from the trade deadline looking good? It's not like their GM has ever floated that idea before.

13. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

they gave up two first round picks and i guarantee wallace wont make them win a championship... the west is going to be between LA, SAS, OKC, and Dallas.... no one else stands a chance... OKC after the perkins trade is who i want to win....

14. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

+1000

15. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Really? So, instead of getting a backup PG & C, and 2 first-rdrs, we keep a player that's an aging vet, who shouldn't be starting anyways, and a shoot-first PG that didn't even want to be here anymore? Yeah, that's a good idea. Ever thought of trying to become a GM? You'd be really good at it.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Dragic plus 1st rounder for Brooks is OK. I was all for trading Battier,but not for Thabeet.

17. RocketMania1991

Uh no we wouldn't of......

Battier is a FA after this season and Brooks was going to get paid.

Why would we want an aging Battier and highly paid back up PG on a rebuilding team.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QWfbGGZE07M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

And how do you figure that? Battier is a guy needed when you are contending. Does the Rockets look like we are contenders? Aaron Brooks was going to be traded. We knew that with his subpar performance, complaints on his extension, and later walking out on the team, that whatever chance he stayed a Rocket (especially with contract talks coming up) that we will either have to pay too much to retain him or he doesn't get the money he wants and cause more issues. What we got in return are conditional picks, a 7 footer who can at least play defense and protect the rim, and a very serviceable backup in Dragic, whom I believe is better than Brooks, at least for now.

19. joesr

joesr Member

the fact that you said martin before Scola makes me wonder who is smoking crack. In terms of a back up, patterson who is 1 year less exp then lee is already better and showing signs of faster growth.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Brooks is probably better than Dragic + Thabeet and whatever those 2 late first rounders end up being combined.