1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It sucks our Cs are rebounding aka Do we really miss Josh Smith that bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Jan 7, 2016.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

This probably will be a long post filled with grammatical and spelling errors so bear with me. I don't have too many bright moments of basketball analysis but I am hoping this could be one.

Ok so we all are thoroughly disappointed with the Rockets so far this season especially after an amazing 'defying expectations' season we just experienced.

Now the Rockets aren't short of fingers to point at for the various reasons but the biggest glaring thing is the team defense. I do not think you can blame one or two (though personally I am looking at you James and TJ) people for the collapse of the defense this year versus last season.

To me one of the biggest glaring things has been the team's rebounding. The Rockets are just not rebounding the ball nearly as well as last season. Despite having Dwight back and now Capela emerging as a good rebounder as well compared to last season. Its not like DMo ever was or will be an amazing rebounder either. So how are we seemingly just not rebounding as well as last season and when we do its not having the same impact.

First off the Rockets defense is letting teams score much more easier than before so that results in less rebounds available overall. Secondly I feel like there is a reliance this year on having our centers get all the rebounds. Last year we didn't have that luxury with Dwight being hurt and Capela not ready yet for actual game minutes. Collectively the mindset of the team was to get rebounds. One through five are not boxing out and going after rebounds anymore and it has hurt on both ends of the court.

Take the Atlanta game for example the Hawks got back into and won that game thanks to their 3 point shooting and offensive rebounding. The Rockets could not secure a rebound to save their lives late in the game. The guys on the perimeter were just standing and looking thinking Dwight/Capela would just get the rebound. This was not the case last season.

Secondly oddly enough Dwight and Capela rebounding HURTS one of the greatest strengths the Rockets have on offense. Transition. Though Dwight lately has looked to outlet the ball more after he rebounds lately often times he has to wait for a guard to come back and get the ball from him. Same with Capela -- this allows the defense to get back and get set. Problem is Dwight has never really been that outlet from rebounds passer (this was one skill I felt Asik had over Dwight big time he always looked to outlet after his rebounds). Same with Capela, now Clint is young and can develop this skill into his game, but its just not there right now.

Last year the top 5 defensive rebounders on the team

Dwight 7.8
    Harden 4.7
    Ariza 4.7
    Terrence Jones 4.3
    Josh Smith 4.1

This year:
    Dwight 8.3
    Harden 5.1
    Capela 4.4
    Ariza 4.2
    Jones 3.3

*Technically Chuck Hayes was 5th but only played two games so not counting him

Now it seems like the team is rebounding pretty much at the same average as last season among the top five but lets look at this though.

Harden, Ariza, Jones and Smith all have the ability to take their rebound and push the ball up the floor leading to easier transition baskets which in turn helps the rockets set up their half court defense (because Lord knows their transition defense sucks)

This year though Its Harden, Ariza and Jones who could do that. To me though Jones has regressed terribly (seriously I feel he is just looking for his and only his on offense). But Jones never was much of a guy to push the ball the same way Ariza and Harden would.

Josh Smith tough -- one of his most unique skills was his playmaking ability and his defense. His defense is sorely missed this season far more than I thought. His play making I felt would have been replaced and then some by the addition of Lawson. The one thing I did over look is Josh's ability to rebound the ball in the paint and push the ball up quickly in transition. He was really our only big man who could do that last season and that was a trait that really effected the team.

So while we are just rebounding slightly less compared to last year in the top 5, the people rebounding and how the Rockets play after the rebound is gathered is vastly different.

This decreased transition (or ability to) has hurt Corey Brewer the most who basically gets everything in transition and is probably our most lethal transition scorer. The poor team defense hurts of course because the Rockets are taking the ball out of the basket more (again missing that versatile PF defender that Smith was) which limits transition opportunities.
    Face it Corey never was and never will be a good half court offense guy. His shot is mediocre and streaky. His ball handling is poor and he is moving way too fast when everyone else is not in the half court. In transition and open court though? Guy is like going to score 90% of the time it seems.

But besides Brewer transition is the only way the Rockets can get easy baskets. They are not getting enough of those this season. While I am not saying the Rockets need to get Josh Smith back and all problems are solved - if they are able to get a PF that can defend, rebound and handle the ball well I am pretty sure they'll start to look more and more like last year's Rockets than whatever they are right now.

The Rockets may not find that player so what they should try to do is have their guards and wings try to rebound more so once they get the rebound 1) they can immediately go on the attack and 2) it will help greatly with limiting the offensive rebounds the other teams are getting. I mean even if Dwight and Clint end up getting most of the rebounds - its a team mentality that will permeate into just more activity all around. Last year the Rockets did not have a choice but to rebound as a team because they had no real centers. This year they have two and letting them do all the heavy lifting and its really hurting their transition offense and defense.

I still have a lot of hope for this season this team has the talent to be a threat but its just lacking the focus and mentality to be that way. A ton of that is on the coaching (IMO JBB needs to be replaced with a different coach, one that is a stronger presence and leader), but our players are veterans and should also know better and lead by example. They shouldn't have to be told over and over the "formula for success" at this point in their careers.

Also hope we can pound the Jazz into oblivion tonight because that never gets old.

Go Rockets

2. s3ts

s3ts Member

from a rebounding perspective, sure. but IMO JSmoove is missed for his play-making, shot-making, and basketball IQ. with the epic fall of our defense this season, we have to start with the criticism of the big men on this team. in that case, yes, we miss JSmoove.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It looks to me like a lot of guys are ready to take off or taking off on the shot, assuming Dwight will get the board, he does a great job on one half of the court, but the other half is usually unaccounted for either to a PF or more often than not a SF/SG that has switched at the top of the key.

We just don't do the fundamentals like boxing out well.

DD

4. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Smith is such a idiot... dude left us to get minutes but he should of known that DMO was out and not gonna be effective and Jones is inconsistent , now hes rotting in LA

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We might be slightly better with Smith, but I can't imagine him in the rotation for a championship team. His pick and roll defense against the Warriors was mindnumbingly stupid.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We just don't have any defense schema. It's not Smith fault.

There is no one Rockets player playing solid defense now.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I commend you for the thread and your research on rebounding, but we have so many gaps to fill, everyday we could create a new thread for an issue :( Ultimately I think a new voice is needed to get the most out of these guys. Sucks for JB as he's getting a pathetic effort from this team, but it is what it is...

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Another good individual defender would be nice, but we already have Howard/Capela/Bev/Ariza and we still can't stop teams.

Team defense is broken.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agree aussie, it is the defensive system that is not working. Too much gambling for steals which gives up easy layups, and pathetic transition D (a lot from turnovers), giving up easy points.

Fix those 2 things and we would be much better off.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Small sample size, but Harrell has not been the beast on the boards I was hoping he would be. I'm sure many will say it's because he a rookie, but some rookies rebound well.

11. basketballholic

We are at the bottom of the league in defensive rebounding. And this after running Dwight and Capela out there together for over a dozen games. We're simply getting ate up on the defensive glass and then getting the ball jammed down our throats on putbacks.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

No surprise that Terrence Jones and Harden are #1 and 2 in my r****d Ball rankings.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Good Post... and I agree..

T_Man

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I might be one of Capela's biggest fans, but why does everyone on this board seem to give him a pass on defense while looking elsewhere?

Harden isn't why our defense has fallen off this year. It's our interior D and part of that (a very large part) is the major minutes for a pseudo rookie that still doesn't understand basic positioning and is too thin to hold position.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He wasn't a great rebounder in college I don't know why ppl thought he would be in the NBA.

He's compared to faried and I never bought into that. Faried led the ncaa in rebounds his last 2 years and was a better faster athlete.

Now with that said I do like Harrell energy defense ability and shooting better than faried, he def has a future in the NBA.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We out rebounded the Jazz last night without Dwight. I think players try to get rebounds more often when Howard is out.

DD

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

No we don't, people clinging to Josh is getting pathetic. He's not getting playing time in LA, why you think that is?

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

This. I said this before. Last year Howard missed half season to start it, so guys got used to help each other pretty soon. This year they came in to the camp thinking Dwight is healthy, Capela is beast on boards, now we only need to worry about offense and leave defense for our bigs. I'm talking about all of Rockets guards. Jones is garbage overall, he doesn't think.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Which is a disgrace. It's almost a natural instinct as this is ingrained since a basketball player's childhood league play to box out.

20. OpenLayup-Why3?

Also it seems we try to force teams take long 2s that end up in layups, but the point is, when our guards play lazy defense on perimeter or force enemies away from 3 point line, they leave 2 bigs under basket (at best, because there might be switches, leaving just 1 big) to fight for rebound against 4 enemies in the paint, while our smalls are already leaking to offense without rebound secured. Or just standing at the 3 point line, not boxing out anyone, just dreaming what they gonna do on offense.
    No effort. Haren set nice example.