1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It must be nice to get paid 72 million for an internship on how to become an NFL quarterback.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well that certainly is new and insightful from you...

Broken record.gif

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate the Cowboys. Their rookie is making Brock look look like the rookie, which is hard to stomach.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if Brock had that crazy good O line to camp out behind and their rookie had to deal with the Texans' patchwork O line then it would look VERY different.

For sure Dallas' O line is worth being jealous of, hopefully the Texans can put something like that together one day.

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Every year we know we need a better offensive line. It's so frustrating to me that we say that year after year.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Welcome to being a Texans fan with Grampa Bob, Godfather Rick and "insert coaches name here".

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Not much luck of the Irish with quarterbacks Bill

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Baa Baa black sheep have you any wool Bill, He's really really smart Bill, I'm taking over the offense Bill, and last but not least.................I don't remember that one bit Bill.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They've attempted to address it in the last two drafts. If the fans had their hindsight ways, no o lineman would ever be picked over later contributors.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The OL has been much better recently. Duane is back

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What metric are you basing this on?

They're certainly not expansion level bad... but still well below average. Brown is far from the all-pro level he once was. XSF cannot pass block (but was solid against the run last game). Losing Martin very likely more critical than any other offensive injury.

Lines also do get better as the season goes on, provided they gain familiarity... so they should be playing better regardless.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's basing it on his desire to bash Brock Osweiler. It's certainly not based on reality when it comes to the pass blocking.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I hope we draft offensive linemen with our first 2 picks next year, just to keep getting better, and to help our qb and run game even more.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They get Martin back, so there's one. Most likely will be in position to get a tackle for either side.

The Cowboys model will be emulated.

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Being in the NFL is not the same thing as playing in the NFL; it isn't - I'm sorry. It's like arguing so-and-so was in the minor leagues for five years - he should be hitting at the MLB level. Not to mention, 4.5 of those years was spent not only in another system - but two different systems.

Brock may ultimately bust and he certainly hasn't been good so far. And I certainly understand chaffing at anything that sounds like an excuse given the money and expectations... but his lack of NFL playing experience is legitimately in play as a possible reason for his performance thus far. It is. There are very few QBs throughout the history of the NFL who are polished superstars after their first 16 starts. Peyton Manning had a lower qb rating his rookie year (71.2) than Brock has right now.

He is, in terms of game experience, beginning his second season - minus the benefit of an offseason; we need to see him make some big strides these final 8 weeks, no question. Bye came at a great time; I hope he and BOB get on the same page.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

Being in the NFL isn't the same thing as playing in the NFL? Of course it isn't the same thing. However, there is a reason that teams have traditionally say rookie QB's for a season. At the quarterback position, a lot is learned in the class room and at practice. Having been in the league 5 years and being older and more mature, and having lived in the NFL culture, with the practice habits and time reading tape and practicing; he is clearly not a rookie. I don't know how much or how you even measure the experience he has compared to a rookie as it is difficult to measure.

What I am saying, is that this situation is a lot like Motiejunas with the Rockets; the player at issue isn't the same as rookie. Osweiler is not the same as a 21 year old rookie taking the field. He is a long time back up.

I hope that Brock Osweiler becomes an average starting NFL QB, as I would love the Texans to actually be something worth getting excited about. However I am not optimistic, as most QB's in Osweiler's position (long time back up signed to a large contract with limited track record) fail.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Basically the Texans should do the exact opposite of what they think they should do.

pugsly8422 and deb4rockets like this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think he has certain advantages; no question. You can tell by how he carries himself off the field. I'm sure watching Peyton Manning prepare week-to-week - especially the way he handled the media - was an education in and of itself. But he's in his third offensive system in five years; it's not like, say, Aaron Rodgers, who not only learned from a guy like Favre- but was doing it in the system he would eventually run with the same head coach. Osweiler was with Gase, initially; then Kubiak, now O'Brien.

And what advantages he does have... he still has to execute on the field, and in that regard... from a playing experience, he was most assuredly a rookie. He's certainly laying like one: unsure, impatient.. He's made 16 career starts; I mean... that's a rookie year. Are you suggesting five years of riding the bench is worth additional game experience in some way?

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL. Actually, that just about says it all right now. Let's hope that Brock can overcome what Fitz just hasn't, when it comes to throwing interceptions. He makes Brock look great with 8 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Hoyer actually threw 6 touchdowns with 0 interceptions this year on a terrible team, so he actually improved on getting intercepted before he got hurt.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I agree that he does ultimately need to execute on the field, and obviously actual game experience is important.

Is 4 starts one year, and 12 another the same as `16 straight starts when it comes to experience and evaluating a QB? I don't know that there is an easy answer when it comes to an evaluation.

Do I think being in the NFL 5 years without starting provide you with an on field advantage over someone that is a real true rookie? Yes I do. I think it helps in a number of ways. How do you formulate a metric to measure it? I don't know....... but I firmly believe that a QB like Brock that sits for a few years and then plays will be better prepared than a player coming straight to the NFL from college at the QB position.

I don't think we are really that far apart in our opinions. My issue is people labeling him as a rookie or judging him against other rookies.... he clearly isn't a real rookie. His animal (back up QB that sits 3-4 years and then starts) is somewhat unique to the NFL and QB position.