1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It must be nice to get paid 72 million for an internship on how to become an NFL quarterback.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Can we re-work his contract if he's average- above average?

He wouldn't want a paycut, but if the other option is he gets cut, maybe he agrees to some restructuring

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I hope it never comes to them making that decision. I'm tired of trying out new quarterbacks, and waiting for them to learn Bill's "complicated offense", and want him to be the one we have been looking for. I'm hoping that it doesn't take 2 years to realize he's gonna be the one that we have been looking for.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not true. There were some (mostly Denver people) but the majority said it was a deal the Texans absolutely had to make to get the best free agent QB available.

If you call the Texans comical then you should do the same to John Elway and the Broncos because their offer to Brock was almost as much as the Texans. It's actually a pretty smart deal knowing they could essentially get rid of him in two years if he is not cutting it. Stop tripping at the money, this is the league they are playing in. Chase Daniels got $7 mil a year to hold the clipboard for Bradford, a QB that has proven to be unreliable but is making $18 million a year. They did good in trading him to the Vikings but they signed him to that contract.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the team is winning, and he's willing to work with them to create more flexibility, it certainly should be explored.

Brady did it.

If they're not winning, they move on. Much like a failed draft pick (but with less committed/wasted years).

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hahahahahahahahaha! Hilarious! You're pretending I'm actually Rick Smith, general manager of the Houston Texans, posting anonymously on a message board to defend himself. So rich...

Boy, there's a lot to unpack here... The Texans were bidding against Osweiler's former team; Elway can retroactively spin it however he wants - but the Broncos wanted Osweiler back and were making offers competitive with the Texans'. There's a lot of gray area to disagree on - but this isn't one of them: they were not bidding against ghosts. That is factually untrue.

And no one thought Osweiler was a slam dunk; even homers understood he was unproven and a risk. But he was unquestionably the best QB available to the Texans and most understood and supported the decision. No one wanted another season of FitzMalHoYates under center.

I can't wrap my head around the last point - the Texans are screwing over the county, taxpayers and fans?... That's a new one...

6. Hey Now!

Third; he's made nearly three times as many starts as Osweiler (40 v. 15). FYI, after 15 NFL starts:
    Carr: 58.6%; 3,112 yds (5.53 YPA); 20 TD | 11 INT; 77.7 qb rating
    Brock: 60.3%; 3,845 yds (6.4 YPA); 20 TD | 15 INT; 79.6 qb rating

And Carr didn't switch teams/systems after 7 starts. Also, FYI - while Carr looked better his second season, his final 8 starts were not good:
    starts 1-8: 63.7%; 7.7 YPA; 19/4; 104.3
    starts 9-16: 58.7%; 6.3 YPA;13/9; 79.2

So any idea that Derek Carr hit the ground running in the NFL and hasn't looked back is complete revisionist bullshit. He was Osweiler-like for roughly 24 of his first 32 NFL starts.

My POV all along has been Osweiler needs to look better 9-16 than he did 1-8. The bye comes at the perfect time for him to hopefully build to a better finish.

7. Hey Now!

Honestly........ average would look like... roughly Brock Osweiler in his five home starts, in which the Texans are 5-0. If he gets to that level consistently between now and the end of next year - while a disappointment overall, he would not be egregiously overpaid during those final two years of the deal.

Starting QBs - even average starting QBs - make an obscene amount of money.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I can't remember which thread, but I did that exact same analysis for their first 10 or 11 games at the time to show people that Carr was not good to start. I also touched on the fact that he traded teams and had a lesser Oline.

Can you imagine if we got Carr and had his first year production here? People would riot. Yes I know he is cheaper, but honestly it's not my money, and rather than see the money they gave Boz as a negative waste, I see it as the first time in this team's history that I can remember them taking a chance and trying to push this team forward in FA. To me, he can still be worth that.

9. MystikArkitect

It's now Fitzmahoyatenuumweiler.

Relax, I understand your point. No one knows what exactly went down but it doesn't seem there was much of a market for him outside of those two teams. All of it is heresay and no one has actual data on what the Broncos offered him if anything.

The last point is that there are things that public funds paid for (retractable roof, giant led billboard that replaced vendor signs only to be used as.....more vendor signs) that are inherently worthless.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Safe to say no one else was offering him a big contract.

It's not like Durant meeting with a bunch of teams...or even Ken Bazemore

11. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Well luckily the Texans can get out of it in two years.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If he isn't showing improvement just cut him this year. It's called sunk cost.

13. Hey Now!

a) that's far from what you initially said (they were negotiating against ghosts); b) it only takes two to create a market and competition.

It's been widely reported the Broncos offered him a commiserate deal; they've certainly never denied it.

14. Hey Now!

Well, except the Broncos...

Let me ask you a question... how many teams were legitimately in the market for a QB last year? I count five: Jets, Browns and Rams + Texans and Broncos. That's it. (Maybe the Eagles - although, they had Sam Bradford - who may or may not be better but is well-compensated. And you could throw SF into this mix, too - likely wanted a QB but had a ton of money wrapped up in Kaepernick.) Every one else had a QB they were content to start in 2016. The Rams and Browns owned the top two picks in the draft with at least two highly-rated prospects available; unlikely to be in the bidding for a FA QB. That leaves just the Jets, who wanted to bring Fitzpatrick back after a solid '15.

This isn't like basketball - where you can find a spot for a Kevin Durant if he wants to play for your team. This is a very specific position that is generally highly-compensated. Thus, the pool of available teams is limited. Maybe the Bears would have been interested - but they pay Jay Cutler a lot of money so it's a non-starter. Same with the Dolphins And Tannenhill.

I don't understand (or agree with) this constant need to invalidate Osweiler's free agency...

15. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Yeah something easy to do when it is not your money. No way any team takes that cap hit

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am beginning to think it is not the QB . . .its the org

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I have wondered that myself at times. Maybe it's the way Bill's "complicated offense" is making things more difficult than they should be. Maybe it is the routes they are running. Maybe it is how they are practicing. Who knows.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

BTW these are Parcell's 4 neccessities on a QB; wonder if it matches up with BOB's or is similar:

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
    2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
    3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
    4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

There's at least 7 drafted in the past 3 years that were seniors and started for their team this year.
    • Carson Wentz
    • Dak Prescott
    • Cody Kessler
    • Derek Carr
    • Jimmy Garoppolo & Jacoby Brissett
    • Trevor Siemian
    And in the 3 years before that there's also:
    • Case Keenum
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Kirk Cousins
    • Russell Wilson
    • Andy Dalton
    • Andrew Luck
    • Tyrod Taylor

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  19. LivinLikeLarry

Honest question... Is Bill's offense really considered to be "complicated"? I mean, from everything I've seen since his arrival its pretty much Gary Kubiak minus the play action. Incomplete pass on first down, run up the gut on second, and then throw short of the first down sticks on third seems to be a pretty consistent theme with Bill.

Granted, the offensive line hasn't exactly been stellar in his tenure. But apart from the occasional wild cat play, this offense seems devoid of any creativity.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, very much so.