1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It must be nice to get paid 72 million for an internship on how to become an NFL quarterback.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

XSF was a big part of that closing push. He has some run blocking skills.

He is still abysmal in the pass protection. And I agree that a good o line does wonders for a WB. Especially young QB's. Carr and Prescott getting drafted to teams with solid o lines cannot be ignored.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

J.J. Watt anyone? What's your point?

They paid the going rate to obtain a highly-regarded 25-year old QB. It was, given their circumstances, a defensible decision that is not, thus far, looking good. But that doesn't invalidate the thought behind it.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

When I say that, I'm not assuming he's gone.

I was thinking that the contract had a bunch of incentives built in to get him to that number, but I think I'm wrong after further research.

Anyhow, I HOPE he makes it all four years and forces the front office to pay him. Thatd only mean good things for the franchise.

If he doesn't though, he can be cut, only costing us, I believe, $9 million over two years. Not bad at all.

The contract itself is not bad.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I know 37 million is guaranteed. He still gets 72 million if Bill, Rick, and Bob like him.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You know that, I know that, Rick, Bill, and Bob know that, and everyone else knows that. How many years have we been saying that now? Yes, we need a better O line.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Look, I am not a sports writer, just a fan making a comment to stir up conversation. I am not a Brock hater, and was simply making a comment on how nice it must be. Yes, he is disappointing so far to me, and yes, I know he won't get 72 million if Bob, Rick, and Bill decide to cut him and get away at 37 million. I personally hope it doesn't come to that. I want him to succeed. Your opinion is always condescending towards me, and I guess that gives you a little thrill, so glad you get some pleasure from my posts.

8. conquistador#11

lol at texans 'fans' bringing up the cowboys, might want to win your first playoff game in what 10 years? not five, not four, not three, not two, how about just one. =)

I'm happy for every win. Do I think they're contenders, not even close but they're playing .600 and taking their bumps. Not going to feel sorry for the steelers who play in a division with the sucky ravens and cincy. Only the West can stick their chest out in the afc and say they have a tough division, which we're 1-1 against.

ohh yeah the cowboys did win that game on that bogus call against the lions. that's how memorable that was. =/

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The Texans are playing some of the best teams in the NFL this year! I can't stand the Cowboys and their owner. Have you ever noticed how vain Jerry is in removing his glasses when he notices the camera is on him?

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sorry Deb but I got to call you out on this one. You are the definition of a hater even if you won't admit it. You alone have made several anti-Brock and pro-Carr threads. Can you at least admit you don't support Brock?

#71 ipaman, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

THIS^ No one seems to see that this is Carr's second full year starting, and that he started off horribly. But whatever.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Brock's play improved to below-average last Sunday. Let's see if he continues improvement.

14. T-Perro

T-Perro Member

I mean he's not THAT bad. let's give him some time.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If they like him enough to let him stick around for 2 more years, that means we should ALL like him. Nobody is paying him an additional $35 million if he continues to suck. Stop with this idiotic nonsense.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

All I said was it must be nice to get his salary for how he is playing so far. I want him to get better. Yes, I have brought up how bad he is doing because I am so disappointed in how I had imagined him looking this year. I let myself down I guess. I see lots of potential, and really do hope he somehow manages to make better decisions. I also hope our owner puts forth an emphasis on building up our O Line in the next draft. He needs better protection. I never once said I wanted Carr to come to Houston, and will admit I was one of the fans who didn't want another Carr. I brought that up because I was wrong about using my bias of his brother against him. He has proven he is better than his brother ever was.

17. MystikArkitect

Rick is that you? I would call him a quarterback that had experience in regular season games. The Texans did with Brock what they do with anyone....get into a bidding war with ghosts.

Everyone outside of homers questioned it THEN. They are just outright laughing at it now. The owner came out an called him "essentially a rookie". How do you pay that much money to "essentially a rookie"? This front office is comical. Then again, if you judge them by their ability to stiff the county, taxpayers and fans while keeping their books looking good, they're probably top 5 in the league and have been for a while.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You and I both know that we have not ALL liked the choices THEY liked. I hope Osweiller gets better each week, but saying we will ALL like THEIR choices is saying we ALL liked the choices of Hoyer, Mallet, and Fitz as quarterbacks.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I can honestly say I laughed watching Manziel get passed up so long in the draft. I will take someone like Osweiller, who is at least mature and works hard to improve over some "show me the money" party boy who has his priorities all messed up. Manziel was a train wreck a coming long before he entered the NFL.

awc713 likes this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No, what that's saying is that everybody knew those were stopgaps that had NO chance at signing long-term deals here. Not a single one of them was ever going to be given the same kind of leash as Osweiler. Even then, if Osweiler continues to play like this, there is absolutely ZERO chance the Texans pick up his option for the final two years.