1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looks like the US is finally restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by geeimsobored, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

When can we order cigars?

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Its not going to happen with this Congress. The Republicans aren't bold enough to try to do that and Marco Rubio is the new head of the foreign relations committee. He'll kill any attempt at repealing the embargo laws. Obama is going to have to implement workarounds like he always has to.

I do suspect he'll find a workaround for the tourism ban. There are enough holes in the embargo to allow for it.

#22 geeimsobored, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Why doesn't Obama trying convincing the American people who in turn pressure Congress? That's how democracy works. Obama has never 'had to implement a workaround', he chooses to rather than taking the democratic approach. He gots golfing to do.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He took the democratic approach

Here was the result:

[​IMG]

5. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I like how this is almost universally seen as a good thing and a step toward the right direction with regard to Cuba (anyone on CF against this move?), yet some folks here will STILL find a way to bash Obama.

6. tallanvor

And the American people voted over overwhelmingly for Republicans. Democracy is hard. Why convince the American people to support a piece of legislation (Obama always fails at this) when Obama can just decree it? None the less he should since its the moral thing to do (at least most view democracy as moral).

Wow . Total ****ing bull****. Obama is taking heat from both sides for this (why do you think he waited until after the election) . Commodore and Major have both said this.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

we can't allow Russia to have a military base 90 miles from our shore after they start a war due to social unrest (low oil prices + sanctions are laying the groundwork for that)...

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm not sure how much criticism from Democrats he's getting. The media keeps quoting Rubio and Menendez as examples of "bipartisan opposition." However, considering both are children of Cuban exiles, I hardly consider that to be an example of bipartisan opposition.

It just sounds like the media is quoting Cubans. I'd hardly label that as Obama getting heat from both parties.

9. Major

Major Member

Setting and implementing foreign policy is specifically one of the primary functions of the Presidency. Normalizing relations is not a 'work around'. None of the things he did are things Congress would or should vote on.

10. tallanvor

Go look at the post I responded to.

11. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Wow. Total ****ing bull**** overreaction. Calm down.

Since when has Commodore ever not disliked anything Obama has done? Again, it's just an example of people wanting to bash Obama because that's all they've been doing. Also, I do believe Major was just quoting Commodore and addressing his comment - not actually taking his stance.

I swear, one of the biggest things that stifles debate here in the D&D is that people are either just so committed to their party-line thinking, or they're just so stubborn in what they believe (this goes both ways), that they refuse to be objective for a bit. Had Bush implemented this policy, I would have been all for it. Diplomatic relations is a good thing.

12. tallanvor

What does that have to do with anything? U claimed this was universally seen as a 'good thing' which is total bull****. Its already been shown to you by Major and Commodore that its not universally seen as a good thing.

either that or you being dishonest.

#32 tallanvor, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think Obama is done on this front. I think it'd be nice for the US if we'd lift the embargo, but Obama doesn't really need for it to happen. He did a prisoner swap and opened an embassy without needing to lift the embargo. If we go another decade with the embargo, it won't undo what Obama's done.

As for work-arounds on the travel ban, Americans already have one -- fly to Cuba via Mexico. We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is your position on relations with Cuba? Please don't answer with an answer about process, just answer on whether or not you think the US should have normalized relations with Cuba.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, that's the lede, there's no reason to care about anything else in this story.

16. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Think of the rum!

17. tallanvor

I think this and the Bergdahl deal make Americans way more vulnerable. Anyone who wants anything from America should go arrest an American for any reason. Obama will give you whatever u want.

As to lifting the embargo; nobody likes embargoing a country. I would support it if Cuba made changes.

18. mtbrays

Supporting Member

BuzzFeed: White House Credits Pope Francis for Facilitating Cuba Deal

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What people all or fail to see is the big picture. Russia just invited Kim Jun Ung or whatever that North Korean fatties name is to visit.

Mending fences with a country whose in our back yard helps eliminate the threat of them being used by the Russians for a second Cuban missile crisis.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

CUBAN CIGARS!!!!!!!!! woot woot...