1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looks like the US is finally restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by geeimsobored, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

Or, all that money flooding into the Cuban people will help them produce more food and improve their quality of life. You know, the same way trade works everywhere else in the history of the world. Or perhaps Cuba, and Cuba alone, will function under a whole new Space Ghost Rules of Economics paradigm.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Wow Major, you're a genius.

Except I am talking about the immediate future, not 10 years from now. I'll be sure to spell that out for you next time. Maybe I wont, after all I need to give you the opportunity to belittle someone with your vast intelligence.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ergo Trump must not have Russian sympathies? Come on. This is nothing more than the same pandering that politicians of all stripes have done to win over Cuban voters in Florida for decades. When Raul dies of natural causes will we finally declare victory in our decades-long stance against Cuba?

I don't understand how we can point to increased Western influence in communist countries, such as perestroika in the USSR or increased trade with China, as a positive influence and, in the same breath, argue that cutting off American relations with Cuba will somehow work in the same way after 50+ years.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Allowing Russia to install nuclear missiles in Cuba is not an option.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Is there evidence they've tried to do this since the fall of the USSR? I honestly don't know and would be interested to read more.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

All trump is doing is hurting American businesses that have an interest in investing in Cuba, hurting Cuban-Americans who favor Obama's opening to Cuba (and there are plenty, despite Mr. trump's inane babbling nonsense) and the Cuban people themselves, allowing our allies who long ago saw the wisdom of engaging with Cuba to take advantage of a great investment opportunity and an opportunity to help the Cuban people and, of course, trump's bellicose stupidity opens the door wide for the Chinese, with their enormous amounts of cash, to make further inroads in the region (see Nicaragua and Panama), while allowing Putin and Russia yet another chance to meddle in the Americas.

Mr. trump is well and truly an idiot, as are his supporters who can't see the consequences of the man's dumb and dangerous foreign policy. Mr. trump makes it obvious that he was "educated" with little, if any, grasp of history and foreign policy. That so many of his supporters appear to share those deficiencies should come as no surprise. It is plain that someone can go to a very expensive private school, and a run of the mill public school, and have equally lousy history teachers.