1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looks like I am going to Australia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 25, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My mom is going to teach for a semester at a university in Perth and I am planning on heading out there in September. I hear things are booming in Western Australia and am going to be making some inquiries about working there. I have never been to Australia and other than dating someone from Perth in college I don't know too much about it. I hear that it is very similar to San Diego though.

Any Clutchfans Aussies live in Western Australia?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Say hello to Arnold Schwarzenegger's family back home! ;)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

HAHAHA! Repped....in my heart.

4. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'm from Perth Western Australia, but I have been living in the Bay Area for the last year. Happy to help you out with any questions. I think dockerland still lives in Perth.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"It" looks like? :confused:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

rep'DD. :eek:

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks. What's the weather like there in September and how does the cost of living compare with The Bay Area?

8. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

Lucky you. I visited the Gold coast back in 2003 and has an amazing time. I definitely want to go back one day and visit the Western part. If I'm not mistaken you're an architect? I work for an A/E firm on the engineering side and my architectural counterparts tell me there is a 50% unemployment rate for architects in Houston. It's nice to hear that construction is going strong in some parts of the world.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yeah its a pretty bad time for architecture. My own business is barely scraping by which is why I have been looking overseas for other opportunities.

10. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

"Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!"

11. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

I live in Perth and wouldn't live anywhere else in Australia. We have some of the best beaches in the world and with you coming over during summer you will absolutely love it. Perth has been going through a complete dry spell for the last 6 months with rain only coming over the weekend. From November through until April/May you can expect the temp to be 30+ degrees. I believe we went 50+ days over 30 degrees which was a record. The women are AMAZING as well.

What sort of work will you be looking at? A lot of the money is made in WA through the mining resources which is mostly up north or more inland. Mind you, if you are willing to work you should not have any problem finding a job here in Perth :cool:

If you are coming over in September you will arrive during the finals for the AFL (Australian Rules Football) and if either WA team is in the finals (hopefully the Fremantle Dockers) the town will be insane.

If you have any questions or want some advice feel free to hit me up.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks for the info dockerland. It sounds great. I have never been to Australia so I am just going to see what it is like. I am not going specifically to find work but given the state of the economy here in the US would like to find out more about the economy in Australia and see about the possibility of doing work there. This trip is more to find out what things are like and if things are promising and I can make some good connections would consider then pursuing job opportunities there.

Will probably hit you up for more info as my travel plans develop.

13. Dei

Dei Member

Never been there either but, from the impression I've gotten of Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe and David Andersen, they're a mad bunch.

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

Perth is the most isolated major city on the planet. I guess its kinda part of Australia.... :-D

15. davo

davo Contributing Member

September can still be a little cool - as dockerland suggests, it doesn't really get hot until November or December.

Cost of living is HIGH. Probably higher than most parts of the Bay Area. Over the last 10 or so years, Perth's economy has been racing.

16. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

I wish it wasn't, for far too long we have carried the rest of Australia with our mining resources. Funny how we still only receive 70c to the dollar back in GST returns yet NSW and VIC receive 90c.

If you love the warmer weather/beaches and generally a friendly environment that is not as fast paced as most of the major cities in the world and has more of a laid back feel then you will love Perth.