1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is time to unlock the midrange.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryan_Success, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Where does the 3rd best offensive rating in the league take you? To the NBA Finals? At this rate, it’ll be a miracle if the Rockets go to the playoffs - after coming to lay a big egg to the Pelican bench players (and at home). The only stat that matters is wins and losses - nothing else matters.
    Where do shooting 50 3-pt shots in a game take you? You make 15 of 50 shots, you miss 35 shots - if they would take more 15-18 footers or attempt to drive to the basket, the effectiveness would increase and it would mean more points and more wins. Instead of putting up 35 bricks (and they take a lot of ill-advised threes), just get in closer, get a higher percentage shot.
    0 for 35 = 0 points
    10 for 35 (30%) from mid-range = 20 points
    What is better, 0 points or 20 points?

The Rockets have no mid-range game, so the other teams defend them at the 3-point line. Why not at least tease them with a little inside game so the players take better outside shots when the defense opens up more?

napalm06, Ryan_Success and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Pls dont do @roslolian like that he has family to feed and is a nice guy:eek:

roslolian likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Stop comparing us with gsw, we are the better team...

Ryan_Success likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Last time we met in playoffs spurs midrange prevailed by 40 points at our house
    where is the glorified 3pt shot when you need it the most?

Ryan_Success likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Offense is just one aspect of the game duh, lots of other factors come to play in winning a series like health, defense and overall talent of the roster.

The Rox have the 3rd best offensive rating without Cp3 and Capela, if you have half a brain you would know offense isn't the problem.

The only stat that matters is wins and losses? What does that have anything to do with mid range shots? Do you have any proof that mid range shots will turn all those losses to wins? Mid range shots are not inside shots, what does "teasing opponents with an inside game" have anything to do with mid range shots? You think mod range shots and inside shots are the same????
    LOL!

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

We didn't meet the Spurs last year where were their mid range shots when they needed it the most?

Rox STILL have a better record than the Spurs even without Cp3 and Capela for most of the season. Clearly those mid range Js arent working.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

so you are smarter than Poppovich now? they have nobody on their roster

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The issues last night were on defense. However, in the 4th quarter, when it was clear Harden was having an awful shooting night, I would have rather he mix it up and not just keep taking those 3s.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  9. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I already posted the evidence when I posted their shooting percentages from 10-14ft, showing they shoot a higher percentage in the midrange vs. their shooting percentage from 3. What other evidence do you want me to provide? It’s not uncommon for players to have higher shooting percentages the closer they get to the basket.

10. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I think you’re the only one suggesting a drastic change. Most posters are saying IN THE EVENT WE ARE HAVING A POOR SHOOTING NIGHT TO MIX IT UP AND INCLUDE CLOSER SHOTS. I feel like you’re only re-reading your own posts and patting yourself on the back.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Let me get this straight , @roslolian seems to stumble on something the scrub Popavich hasn’t figured out yet, someone quickly link Pop to this post so he can save his season. He’s talking about context but can’t even cite the reason the spurs are doing so terrible. It seems to coincide with personell issues (hint hint).

Someone get this man a job!! It’s a wonder he hasn’t replaced Daryl Morey yet. Seriously man, you’re so kind letting Morey and all the other league personell keep their job when you’ve known the truth all along. In fact we should be chucking wide open half court shots to beat the transition defense. Open 3s all game!
    Pop better be careful otherwise he might be out of a job—no wonder he never won anything.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You’d think that reading countless posts would probably make it clearer, nobody is saying to abandon the 3. He may have a reading disability but he does know the truth we all don’t!!

Ryan_Success likes this.
  13. edwardc

edwardc Member

And that's the problem right there MDA doesn't know about the mid-range shot.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The spurs have 2 of the best mid range shooters in the game on their team. When both are on the floor they shoot the 2 at one of the highest rates in the league. Funny thing is, their offense is better when one or both of them are on the bench. Because that’s when they start bombing 3s at rate similar to the bucks and Rockets.

He plays to his teams strengths and knows when his elite 2 point shooters are on the bench its time to bomb away.

Citing the Warriors is pretty ****ing dumb too. They have 3 elite mid range shooters.

harold bingo likes this.
  15. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I’m actually a fan of MDA but there are times I wish he would call plays to get guys easy buckets to get them in rhythm. The free flowing style works when we are clicking on all cylinders, but sometimes you need to coach. He has shown the ability to draw some good plays out of timeouts! We should run those more often opposed to relying on half of our 50 3 pt attempts to drop.

16. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

You don’t believe Harden, CP3, and EG could be elite midrange shooters? 3 point shots are literally the hardest shot to hit in basketball.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The last 10 years only 1 time has a team with an offensive rating worse than 10th won the title. 6 out of the 10 years the champ was top 3 in offensive rating or better.

Last year we had the health and defense to go with it. This year we don’t. Offense isn’t the problem.

harold bingo likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I KNOW that Paul is elite and that Harden and Gordon are not. The facts are available for that.

We don’t have to go over the fact that 3>2 do we? The shots are SLIGHTLY harder than a long range 2 and reward 50% more points.

19. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

This is where I go to my original post where I explained there is a such thing as a bad midrange shot. A step in from the 3 pt line is a bad shot. 3 steps in is a free throw line jumpshot which Harden shoots more then anyone in the NBA. That shot is SIGNIFICANTLY easier then a step back 3. I would argue Harden is closer to elite then not if he had a larger sample size. EG has the ability to be good to great with a larger sample size. I would prefer a 3 over a long range 2. I would prefer a elbow jumpshot over a 3 if we aren’t shooting from distance well.

20. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

We get so caught up with the analytical numbers that we forget basic basketball principles. Sometimes the numbers aren’t just black and white which is when adjustments are necessary. Basketball is more of “if this is happening, then you do this” not “you do this, you do this, you do this”. Teams win championships because of being able to make in-game adjustments.

Offense isn’t our major problem defense is, but what’s easier to change? We can’t rely on new defensive personnel to come in and make a huge difference, because it takes 2 to tango. We have lost games for continuing to fire up 3s that weren’t falling when we could have easily preserved leads by attempting easier shots. They may not have gone in, but you can live with the attempt.

hakeem94 likes this.