1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is time to unlock the midrange.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryan_Success, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

True that definitely gets us the win, but this game shouldn’t of even been close. You watch a 15 pt lead slip away heaving up ill-advised 3s. Add 10 of those 3 pt attempts to closer easier shots we win. Way too good of team with way to good of playmakers to live and die by the 3.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mid range shots arent easier if these guys can't make wide open 3 pointers they sure as hell can't make mid range shots.

Rox were never supposed to live and die by the 3 they are supposed to use the PbR to generate open looks for everyone that includes driving to the lane and yes even some mid range shots for Harden.

3. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

We get Harden alone to move 5-6 of those 3s to the midrange I would think he could hit 3-4 of them. Those 6-8 pts alone gets us the win. You can’t tell me you were happy with us continuing to shoot the 3 ball when there were open driving lanes and floaters available.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not how that works, you can't just assume all of those were misses. If he moves in for 6 attempts then he's losing 6 attempts but also losing 2 makes. So if he moves 6 of those shots in, 2 made buckets is -6 points. Now if he hits 3/6 of his midrange shots he's broken even. If he makes 4 out of his 6 midrange shots he's up two points.

hakeem94, topfive and roslolian like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden already has carte blanche to take all the mid range shots he wants. If he didn't take enough mid range shots that means he didnt think those would go in, its that simple.

Also making 3-4 of those 5-6 shots and converting them is impossible as he would be making 80% of mid range shots which does not happen. He would be amazing to get 4 points out of 6 shots and the Rox only lose by 1.

6. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

You also can’t just assume they were the makes so for the purpose of my take I’m moving the misses lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Most people advocating mid range shots dont really do the math lol, if they did that they would know why it doesnt work.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

In that case Harden should have just taken the mid court heaves if all his misses were converted to half court shots that go in then the Rox would have won by 30.

Quick! Time to make the "Time to unlock the half court shot" thread! Lol

9. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I didn't assume they were all makes, I assumed his average. He shot 33%, so if you take away 6 of his attempts and keep him at 33%, you take away 2 makes. For the purpose of your argument this is the only logical assumption to make.

hakeem94 and Ryan_Success like this.
  10. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

We hit 10 more 3s then them so “the math” tells me we should of won but we didn’t. Find the easier more efficient shot point blank period.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Hey someone tell the GSW (the greatest shooting team of all time) that the 15% midrange they take means they’re doing it wrong. @roslolian did some simple math and says that taking 3s all day is better, if only the worriers knew that. Maybe they would actually win some games and championships. Forget what people that live and breathe this game think with proven results, we should trust this guy. Fade-away contested 3 from a 20% season 3pt shooter over an open midrange shot? Absolutely!

Keep spreading the truth @roslolian !!

Same with the spurs, that 15%+ from the midrange they took was all for vain. They didn’t do their math—it’s as simple as @roslolian says it is. There are literally no other variables in play here. If only I knew this too before publishing papers and doing my own biostatistics, focus in on a couple of variables, ignore context and real world results.

#71 LosPollosHermanos, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    hakeem94, smp and Ryan_Success like this.
  12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

that is the way we have played for 4 or 5 years now. Not much D'Antoni system there at all

Ryan_Success likes this.
  13. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

No I get it! I know what your saying, I’m just angry typing. We just need to figure out a way to win when the 3 ball isn’t falling at a higher clip because 19/56 is not necessarily bad. I feel pretty confident in saying if we turn a percentage of those missed attempts to drives, layups, floaters, free throw line step backs we would be able to convert that to more points scored.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. harold bingo

Supporting Member

We need to play defense, simple as that. It can seem frustrating that the 3s look like they aren't falling, but our offensive performance overall this game was very good. We scored 116 points on 100 possessions, that is Golden State level offense. We gave up 121 points to a team missing 4 of it's best 5 players, that's just flat out unacceptable. I know it looked like a lot of open bricks but if we play decent defense here it's still a comfortable win.

hakeem94, Ryan_Success and topfive like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bingo, Harold.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

True and when were a better defensive team we could afford to do that. Now is time for in-game adjustments when we go cold. 2nd quarter on we should have started adjusting how we were going to approach the offensive end because obviously we couldn’t get stops on defense.

17. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I can concede defense was the major issue, but there has been deficiencies there all season. IMO we are the most effective when we keep our 3 attempts around 40. Even if we end up breaking even players are in more of a rhythm seeing the ball go in at a higher clip, which I think helps the all around flow of the game. Guys are more engaged for 48 minutes instead of just the 4th quarter when we’re trying to hang on to a 4 pt lead or come back from down 10. It’s mentally draining for myself watching so many misses so I can’t imagine what it feels like for the players. You can read the body language of EG, PJ, GG (our most vital role players) being dejected when they are cold. Hardens immune so he can do whatever, but we have to start throwing some wrinkles into our approach.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Warriors have Kevin Durant, Steph Curry and Klay Thompson are you really using their shots as real world examples? Talk about ignoring real world context. They took 15% mid range shots guess what, their last game they took 30% 3 pt shots! Which is higher 30% or 15%? Lmao!

If Rockets had 3 HOF shooters then they could take 15% of mid range shots too.

Spurs taking 15% mid range are actually BELOW Rockets in the standing, and thats with Cp3 and Capela injured for majority of the season. Hey, maybe somebody should tell Popovich to cut down on his mid range shots maybe then his fully healthy team can have a better record than the Rox :rolleyes:

All your points are pretty stupid,just what I'd expect from somebody who thinks mid range shots are a great idea.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pls give evidence EG, PJ and GG can hit mid range shots at high rate. You keep talking like if 3 pt shots dont go in mid range shots will when there is no evidence of this so far.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

For those who keep saying the Rockets need to drastically change the offense....Rox have the 3rd best offensive rating in the league! 3rd!!! Without Capela and Cp3 for majority of the season! Behind only GSW who has 5 all stars and Denver which basically copied the Rox offense.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019_ratings.html

Take away 2 of the top 3 players on those teams and tell me if their offense can still beat the Rox. LMAO! But hey, you can be like @LosPollosHermanos and reference a team with the worse record as an example. Yes, follow the team with the worse record so you can be like them! WTF!