1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is time to make a case! Battier for defensive player of the year!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bingfei236, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

If people so call "Expert" was bringing the case for Bruce Bowen name defensive player of the year when spur played well in past few year. now it is
    time to give some credits to Battier. This guy is true professial, defense best scorer every night. Plus, different from other great defense player, Battier is great team-defense player, he is smart enough to cooperat teammates to stop best scorers. Since we have got very good team record and is one of top defense team in the NBA, Battier should be noticed as defensive player of the year!

The only thing worries me is Battier is not the STAT guy and somehow people only look at the numbers!

2. Classic

Classic Member

That is truely the only thing they look at. Marcus Camby? That guy does nothing for his team as was evident last night when the Rockets got anything they wanted in the lane. Battier is a game changer. Unfortunatley, these media guys are nothing but fanboys and will vote for somebody who leads the league in steals or blocks regardless of whether he actually has a huge impact on the team's overall defense.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Battier follows the game plan, he's a great team/help defender as you say, and he makes the guy he's guarding work for his shots. As important as all of that is, voters for DPOY look for other things. He's not an imposing athlete. He doesn't put up any really gaudy defensive stats (though his blocks are nice for a defensive wing). And he really isn't a defensive one on one stopper in the mold of a Ron Artest or Bruce Bowen.

My guess, at this point, is the award will go to Kevin Garnett. I can't see Camby winning it back to back when his team is perceived to be terrible on the defensive end.

4. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Probably not the best one-on-one defender in the NBA, but he's definitely the best help-defender in the league. Watch the subtle things he does; his focus is not on stopping his guy, but more importantly he focuses on stopping the basket.

Let's add Scola with the ROY and Adelman with the COY.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I'm down.

6. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

but are u down like a clown?, charlie brown.

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Everyone said he's a great defensive player, but he hasn't make the all defensive team once

8. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

poor Scola will not win ROY because there is not dunk in his game...

poor Adelman will not win COY because he is never known as defense coach

and we are best defense team not best offense team

9. scola4president

He is a great defender I think he deserves it. Every time I watch Shane, he always has a hand right in the guys face. He is not easy to get by and knows how to funnel the man with the ball right into other defenders. Then again most of our team does all these things. Doubt he could win but he is crucial to this team. He also allows tracy to guard weaker players for most of the game allowing him to be fresh on O. Im his offense wasn't the reason he made the Olympic team, atleast his name should be mentioned.

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I don't know if Battier is quite up to par with other perimeter guys like Kobe, Raja Bell, Ron Artest, ect. Is Bowen still up there? Those guys obviously have the offense to go with their games. From a purely defensive stand point is Battier any better on D than a focused T-Mac from his own team? T-Mac used to cover the opposing star until we acquired Battier. We'd rather conserve T-Mac's energy for offense.

The inside guys are in a complete different category.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How well you cover the guy you're guarding one on one is just one aspect of defense. If that's all you want to go by, then Battier probably isn't an elite defender (though he's still above average, in my estimation).

And saying a "focused" T-Mac can be as good as Battier defensively is missing the point. Battier's strength is he's always focused. And lack of focus is a particular weakness for T-Mac.

12. scola4president

13. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Battier makes his case each and every night we have a game. Some experts know what he does on the national games he gets talked about for his defense. It was mentioned he finished 4th or osmething like that one year with Memphis so people know about it but people can't watch every game so they have to rely on stats. Some of us forget that. A person can't watch every team which is why awards with voting from media or fans are stupid. I think the MVP, OPY, DPY... etc. should be voted half by players half by coaches.

Oh and Adelman has a pretty good shot at COY. If we finish 5th or hirer he could definately win. PJack will probably win though, but also guy in NO. Guy in Portland is all but done. Also Maybe Doc.

14. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

If they're poor I'll gladly switch salaries with them.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This year it's Paul with the stats. Almost 3 steals a game is going to win the voters no matter what Battier does to his opponents' FG%. That's fine with me: I'd rather have us beat the Hornets in the playoffs than have Battier beat Paul for the DPOY.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This will be the year he make all defensive team, count on it.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Ron Artest should win every year. He plays real NBA defense. Chris Paul plays the passing lanes and Marcus Camby is a weakside shot blocker. Neither are in the league of Ron Artest.

18. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

Shane = DPOY

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

DPOY should be KG...mostly because if we're running Battier on the basis of Houston being an elite defensive team, then someone has to rep Boston for being #1.

Of course, since DPOY is a stats show, it's probably going to be Camby.

Still, I can't see Battier not making an All-Defensive team this year. In addition to reputation/team defense, the Batman's got some very solid defensive stats as well (1.2 st/1.2 blk)

20. mtran

mtran Member

shane doesnt have the #s (rebounds, blocks, steals) that most voters look at when they vote for DPOY. come to think about it, wasnt michael jordan the last perimeter player to win a DPOY? but shane not making an all nba defensive team is a travesty.