1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is so clear now...We have too many players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by opticon, Nov 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaneB

DaneB Member

You're exactly right! For awhile there we had 11 players that were getting over 10 minutes per game. It's very difficult to get any sort of chemistry when that's going on. The Lakers have a 8 man rotiaton. The other top playoff teams have about 9. If I remember right, Adelman even said that it was going to be tough to have such a deep team...

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

DD, I like C-bud a lot but you are out of your mind if you think Lee is way too short to play SF just because he's 2 inches shorter. Height, especially if its just two inches shorter, doesn't make or break your position in the league. DH is the best C in the league, and he's 6'10 against legit 7 footers. Hayes played a lot of C for us today, and he's 6'6.

Honestly though, we really have too much depth, RA is overwhelmed with the options. If DM has no intention of replacing him with a better in-game coach, gotta package our assets for an upgrade. A "superstar" like Melo isn't necessary, another Martin-level player at the SF or C position should be enough:

Battier,C-bud, 2012 Knicks pick for AI
    Jordan Hill,PP, 2012 Knicks pick for Marc Gasol
    Jordan Hill, JT for Splitter

Something along those lines would be great.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ah contraire, my man, I said our depth and teamwork would make us contenders IF Yao is healthy.

Also, I did not count on Rick Adelman trying to get everyone playing time, I figured he would play the best 8 or 9 and fill in as injuries required.

Ironically, injuries have done the job he should have done all along.

:)

DD

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Benching Brooks? We finally agree! ;)

5. DaDakota

Funny man...lol.....

It has nothing to do with that, it has everything to do with a skinnier rotation and playing crappy teams...

Brooks would still be starting, and will be when healthy but only Ish or Kyle will play as his backup.

I think Ish heads to Rio Grande once that happens.

DD

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It probably has a lot to do with the rotation (9 is still too much!) and the teams we've played.. but I don't think Brooks should be our starter anymore. He's a shoot first point guard in an offense that's loaded with scorers in the starting five -- we need him off the bench to deliver the scoring punch in the second unit.

I am very surprised at you calling for Courtney Lee to not get any PT though? I hope you aren't suggesting he sits while Budinger continues to shoot 18% from downtown? Lee's one of the few guys on this team that actually plays defense and you want to sit him because of a couple inches? I'm surprised your sig isn't calling for Chuck wagon to sit as well then!

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Honestly it pains me to say this since i'm a huge Budinger fan but i think Courtney Lee gives us what Budinger does and much more. Budinger's minutes should be reduced since Lee is a better all around player.

8. blunto

blunto Member

I think Budinger should sit. His ankle is sprained. ;)

Really though, isn't that what this depth theoretically affords us? (The ability to keep winning games even when guys getting significant minutes go out with injury?)

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Without Bud, this team is a high school basketball team with the occasional dunkers. Bud makes the team look cool with the quick cuts and high dunks. We should have kept Landry to make us look even cooler in that department.

10. makman

makman Member

Yea, forget wins and defense. Looking cool and dunking is what Adelman and everyone wants. How's your HS basketball team doing btw?

11. DaneB

DaneB Member

I don't think that would be the best things to do. He is a good enough guard to start on pretty much every team except for maybe the Suns, Hornets, and Bulls...

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We need the depth for injury insurance and to match up better with different teams. It was RA's stubbornness not to play JHill against athletic frontcourts and his inability to find a good mix of offensive and defensive players that cost us early games.

We have a good team IF the coaches know how to play them.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

LOL we were playing against the Knicks who make any opponent look good

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've been saying it all summer and people have been telling me I don't get it. I get it and then some, but for those who don't, let me explain. Depth is great for the regular season and when you have versitility. Depth is not good when none of the players can play together. If people still don't get it, let me go further in depth.

Brooks and lowry can't play together for stretches because they're both small. Add to that combo that doesn't work is the simple fact that the team would have to pull martin off the floor. Martin and chase nor martin and lee can't play together because the 1st pair will kill the defense and the 2nd set doesn't have the size. Shane and lee can't play together because it will kill the offense. Thats just in the backcourt and the sf spot. On the frontline, yao nor miller can play together and its not ideal to play chuck with Yao. So basically, the rockets don't have versitility which is vital when you have depth. When Adelman had the old blazers, he could throw out alot of combos because clyde,kersey,and robinson. In sacramento he could do the same because of christie,webber,and hedo.

Bottomline is they need to clean up their roster via trade. I'm not here to make suggestions, but when players get back, the problem will occur again. None of these guys are superstars, but most are deserving to play consistent minutes.

15. RyanB

RyanB Member

for sure it was a big issue but not the only one
    we need a stable rotation plus playing good defense and staying healthy

16. DaDakota

So far, the injuries have done Rick's job for him, but when they get back there will be more trouble, as both JT and JJ have expressed frustration.

Watch what happens if he goes back to an 11 man rotation and the team begins to struggle again because of it.

DD

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The blazer started paying better last year once they traded outlaw and blake. I know what should happen and the rockets do also. Anyone who said you can play 12 players who are this close in terms of talent and keep them happy doesn't watch basketball.

18. Sanity2disChaos

WHAT! :confused: Too many good players is never a bad thing.....period.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

We definitely do have a lot of bodies.. But Adelman's job is to find a rotation that works no matter what.. If he can't do that...

Also, Lee should be getting a heck of a lot more minutes.

20. Sanity2disChaos

Stop yourself..... :confused: ......now.