1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'It is only you versus many and you are going to lose'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I guess you have a different definition of terrorism. My definition: Act on civilian populace for political/ideological reasons.

He wasn't a civilian. Doesn't make the murder any less despicable.

BTW there is much more to "wearing the uniform" then just putting it on. Its a decision to now be considered a combatant. You can no longer claim yourself as an "innocent civilian".

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Every murder done by a Muslim is an act of terror unless they are killing the Chinese, Russians or anyone that western world do not like.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So you are saying the Fort Hood shooter wasn't a terrorist?

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

It was workplace violence remember?

5. fchowd0311

No more than the Aurora theater shooter, Sikh temple shooter or the Newtown school shooter. Of course you wouldn't label these individuals as terrorists since they were not Muslim.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The argument over who constitutes a combatant is a very relevant one. We know the United States basically considers anybody that is male and within a certain distance from a so-called terrorist a combatant. you can all see with the argument that you are having amongst yourselves the implications of something like that.

8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

He could be labeled a terrorist, but his act of shooting soldiers was not terrorism. It was labeled a mass murder/shooting. Numerous forensic psychiatrists and terror analysts have said it did not fit the definition of terrorism.

Was Pearl Harbor a terrorist attack?

9. fchowd0311

They weren't Muslim so obviously no.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, because one internationally recognized country was attacking another with their armed forces. That's an act of war.

Militant Islamist fanatics murdering people not as part of armed forces of their country, but based on their fanatical belief in a hateful ideology they believe to be the true Islam is terrorism.

11. fchowd0311

Love how your definition of terrorism includes Islam in it.
    Both Pearl Harbor and this particular incident was unprovoked and against some sort of combatant. Just because you choose to believe that the ideology of the Japanese empire was less crazy than this particular murderer does not change the fact that this murder is nothing more than just another murder a despicable one at that.

#31 fchowd0311, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So much cognitive fail in this post I don't even know where to start.

This was not a definition of terrorism. It was a description of behavior of Islamists that would fall under a definition of terrorism, in my opinion.

Link to where I said that?

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a7cmijwvpD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have no love for the English Defence League. At all. Idiots, if you ask me.

15. fchowd0311

"Militant Islamist fanatics murdering people not as part of armed forces of their country, but based on their fanatical belief in a hateful ideology they believe to be the true Islam is terrorism."

I'm making a logical leap by assuming you are relating the murder to Pearl Harbor. You said this incident is considered terrorism because of a "hateful ideology" thus I can assume you think ideology or a certain type of ideology comes in to play when defining terrorism. We are arguing semantics here because I'm sure you and I agree that this was a hideous act. If you want to include "hateful ideology" then wouldn't any mass shooting be considered terrorism? You don't think the Sikh temple shooter had "hateful ideology" or the theater shooter or the Newtown shooter? They all had some sort of "hateful ideology". If you want to label this murder a terrorist act then be consistent or else the only thing I can assume is that the only constant in your definition of terrorism is something that involves a Muslim.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yup. Several, indeed.

Yes, which makes it even more baffling to me that you and some others, like Hydhypedplaya, want to argue semantics. :confused:

The Sikh temple shooter - maybe, and yes, probably - almost surely some racist/xenophobic ideology behind this. I don't know about the theater shooter and the Newtown shooter. Seems to me that they didn't really say much about their motives and just seemed outright crazy. These two guys here of course also did something crazy, but they made it very clear that they acted because of a particular ideological belief (that in Islamism).

You are assuming incorrectly.

I would consider Breivik a (crazy) terrorist, I would consider the left-wing RAF murderers (who murdered the father of a good friend of mine in cold blood) of previous decades in Germany terrorists, I would consider the IRA terrorists, I would consider ETA terrorists. And so on. They are all murdering on the basis of a hateful ideology. One difference (which doesn't make the murders any less horrible) is that all of the previously mentioned ones seem to have a predominantly regionally limited "interest" (nationalist ideology, extremist left-wing ideology relating to who governs the country they live in, etc. - I have to slightly correct myself since the RAF also had international ties).

Violent and extremist Islamism based on a false understanding of their religion, on the other hand, is a global problem, and has more deeply rooted support by way too large parts of the followers of the religion in many countries (e.g. Pakistan).

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That said, a lot of what the guy says in this interview is completely true.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This psycho may have been a German extremist... developing...

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's not terrorism, but that doesn't make it any less tragic.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

These fools sound like they were on bath salts or something.