1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It had to be done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SmashillaDaVill, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

This what you do.

This is my plan (B) by the way...

Sign or trade for Adam Morrison.

GM and coach force Morrison to shoot 20+ times per game...or else!

By season's end we might have found ourselves Baby Bird or we might end with the #1 pick.

I think this plan could work.

Morrison would have to grow the "Stache" back though. Mandatory. No wiggle room on that.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

If Steve Nash can change his mind about wearing a Lakers uniform, I'm guessing Dwight Howard can be talked into it too

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1znDOfD7d

3. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Well said, wordsmith . . . good 1st post !!!

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Agreed...but it's scary when you realize that literally all our eggs are sitting in that single basket.

Remember how folks cried about mortgaging the franchise on a one year Dwight rental? Well, we already have and the trade's not even agreed to yet.

I will say one thing - I considered Nelson resigning to be a good thing (on terrible terms with Howard). That we laundered Lowry for a pick immediately after may not be a coincidence.

5. dexkk

dexkk Member

People whined about being mediocre for many years. Well, now it's make or break time. The whining needs to stop.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yup. Like I said in another post, its unlikely next years pick (our own) will be anywhere in the vicinity of #14.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the trade hasn't been agreed to yet, why did we put all our eggs in one basket? This doesn't make logical sense. As of right now, Rockets have two options going forward: Dwight Howard comes in and plays with Scola, Martin, Lin, etc. vs. Tanking where I'm certain they're going to trade Scola and Martin(both have been tried to be traded before anyway).

If as you say they have put all their eggs in the Dwight Howard basket, then it would imply they and the Magic have a handshake deal in place. In which case your second statement becomes false.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I would actually go to the games if we decide to tank, I'd show my support to the youngsters and that this franchise is being proactive in their line of attack.

It took 2 years too long, and considering this draft I hear may blow, it kind of sucks. I'm confident if we have the avenue to get great pieces, Morey will get them. The issue is we have no direct avenue since players can pick where they want to go, in the draft, not so much.

I hope we see great things out of Lamb and Moti though, honestly. That'll put us 1-step up in regards to rebuilding.

9. Granville

Granville Member

Sounds like a rounding third reset from the Jim Rome Show...

Paultz played for the Rockets in 80-83 which was past the Hofheinz Pavillion days.

10. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

so we are worse than Charlotte op is an idiot.smh

11. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

More like swinging for the feces

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree that Morey is swinging for the fences for Dwight Howard. But before you say the Rockets are NOT and WILL NOT EVER tank, you might should consider the possible repercussions of swinging for the fences on Dwight:

Scenario A.) Morey swings for the fences and misses, leaving the Rockets roster full of rookies. New York matches the Lin offer. Our starting point guard is either Scott Machado or Sergio Lull. If either Scola or Martin are still here - those are our two best players (though I think it likely they're traded too).

Likely result: We're one of the three worst teams in the league.

Scenario B.) Morey does acquire Dwight Howard in a trade - then Dwight flees to a more glamorous destination the second his contract expires. We've sent half of our most promising young players to Orlando and now all we have to show for it is Jason Richardson or Hedo Turkoglu.

Likely result: You're looking at the worst team in the league for 2013-2014.

Final scenario: Morey swings for the fences, acquires Dwight Howard, he decides he is happy here and we are able to extend his contract. This is probably the only scenario that doesn't result in us being one of the worst 5 teams in basketball either this season or the next.

So what I'm saying is there is better than a small chance that you'll be seeing the Rockets tank in the very near future.

13. thekad

thekad Member

BimaThug needs to stop humoring these guys.

14. SmashillaDaVill

Why sign Asik if you think you have a shot at Howard? Just keep Camby to spell Howard's minutes.

Why sign to an overinflated restricted free agent deal if you don't think he will have a superstar to feed?

Either way, Linn and Asik don't make us a playoff team let alone a title contender.

Lowry was our best talent. Dragic a very capable replacement. Both gone. How are you better as a team?

People don't like the idea of 'crash and burn'. Particularly season ticket holders.

But what strategy did Morey have left to him given Howard's clear preference to play in NYC, LA or Dallas?

James/Wade/Bosh showed every NBA player that the best way to win a championship is to build their own big three. Howard is choosing that path. I don't think he sees Howard/Parsons/Linn as the equivalent of James/Wade/Bosh.

And sorry for the miss on Paultz. It must have been Kevin Kunnert and Zaid Abdul Azziz that made me appreciate Elvin Hayes, Ken Spain and Don Chaney (my original 'big 3').