1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It could take weeks before some get power

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, Sep 13, 2008.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Is there anyway to check for my folks which area and the time line for when the power in their area will be restored?

--------------------------------------------------------------
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ike_power_outages;_ylt=AtUXFQZCDYReak3GlX1G6Aas0NUE

HOUSTON - Nearly 3 million people are without power in the Houston area as Hurricane Ike slams the Texas coast.

ADVERTISEMENT

It will likely be a while before electricity returns. CenterPoint Energy says it could take weeks before all the power in the nation's fourth-largest city was restored.

Utility spokesman Floyd LeBlanc said 1.3 million customers — or about 2.9 million people — had lost power by the time the storm made landfall at Galveston early Saturday. Work crews were coming in Monday to restore power, and priority will be given to hospitals, fire and police departments and water and sewage treatment plants.

The city's last direct hit from a hurricane came from Alicia in 1983, when 750,000 CenterPoint customers lost power. It took 16 days to restore all service.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Could you be a bit more specific on their location?

I don't know of anyway to get a detailed timeline for restoration of service.

From listening to several interviews with a spokesman from Centerpoint, they will tackle the repairs that restore the most people first.

My power went out at 4:45 am and was restored around 3 pm. (Alief – SW Houston) Around 6 am, the power came on briefly for perhaps 30 seconds and then shutoff. It attempted again and had the same result. I knew that my connection issue wasn't local (nearby transformer), so felt comfortable with hopes of being restored fairly soon which did happen.

If your parents were close to Ike's path and had damage to a nearby transformer, then they will likely be out for a longer time than somebody more distant from the central part of the storm.

3. wizkid83

Thanks for the information, they're out in the Katy area. I just wanted to know if there's a need for them to get the heck out for a couple of weeks or if they can weather through the next two days.

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i wish there was some sort of map showing where there's power.

HOUSTON -- Almost all of southeast Texas lost power after Hurricane Ike made landfall early Saturday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

CenterPoint Energy

CenterPoint Energy said 2.1 million of its 2.26 million customers were without power as of 10 a.m. Saturday. Officials said that accounted for almost all of its overhead power line customers

http://www.click2houston.com/news/17462827/detail.html

5. Mango

Many of the BBS members from Katy aren't reporting too many problems.
    I will defer to them on that. What is the scope of outage in their area of Katy?

Another report on Channel 13 has about 112,000 - 120,000 restored today.
    Same as before with them tackling the biggest issues first and mainly on the West side... expecting to continue that plan.

The hardest hit areas will likely be among the last restored.

6. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Katy resident here. Our power went out around 5 am today and just came back. I would guess that most of the Katy area either never lost power, has had it turned back on, or will have it shortly.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

yes, they said if they have limited road access due to water or debris, crews can't work those areas ...so they will be put on the bottom of priority list.

I'd imagine the north and west areas will be repaired first. central Houston repaired next and then east houston. Southern Houston areas will be last on the list.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Everyone I've talked to in Katy (west of Grand Parkway, on both sides of I-10) has power. The big HEB at Grand Parkway and Fry is open as well.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

10. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

there's power in some area of the shadow creek subdivision.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

over here by the med center we have power. i guess b/c of all the hospitals. granted, it seemed like my apartment complex was the last thing going north on kirby to have power so maybe i'm just lucky.

12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Awesome, thanks for the link - according to the .pdf, there's almost 21000 ppl in 77429 who don't have power.... Though I can't exactly tell whether or not my parents neighborhood is affected. I haven't heard from them since 2pm, so I'm assuming they still don't have power.

13. coma

coma Contributing Member

Katy (I-10/Fry) has power, actually never lost it.

Spring Branch (I-10/Silber) still without power.

I'm also hoping Uptown area, specifically by the Target @ 610/San Felipe gets power soon.

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Sure would be nice if the Galleria area, or I-10/beltway would get power. :mad:

15. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Any word on the shadowcreek/ Lakes at Country Place area off of 288 in pearland? Its hell over here

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Where in the galleria area are you that doesn't have power? My cousin is wondering if the townhouses behind roxy have power or not.

17. wizkid83

Well, it seem most of southwest Houston (Katy, Sugarland, Memorial) now have power. Good luck to all.

18. Mango

Your parents have lights?

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The street next to us and behind us have power. Our street is still dark :(

Atleast we are able to pick up wifi from the other neighbors.

Anyone know what UH is going to do?

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They have their own power plant and underground grid so I bet they have classes ASAP.