1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It’s time to define Islamism as a crime against humanity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 28, 2013.

1. itstheyear3030

Really? :rolleyes: Well, I hope neither radical Islamists nor the KKK are insulted.

The point is that it's not a logical comparison: a relatively small group concentrated in a single country and with a history of only ~150 years to a global religion with millions of adherents (and hundreds of thousands of extremists) and thousands of years worth of history. A more apt comparison would be Christianity to Islam (and extremists therein) or the KKK to a group like Hezbollah.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is time to make neocons ideology a crime against humanity.

It may be time to to place Germany under a receivership if Neo Nazism is taking over.

About the only response worthy of this hysteria/obsession.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This could probably be examined on a per capita basis. Furthermore, the KKK is being overstated as the sole or primary force of racial violence in the Jim Crow era.

4. Major

Major Member

How? What makes news as effectively as blowing people up? This is a silly expectation - making speeches or statements or talking about moderate ideology isn't going to make the news. Ever.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Do you realize that while there are a few reasonable Muslims here on this forum who denounce it when these things happen, there seem to be more, or at least more outspoken ones who would rather shoot the messenger and get incredibly angry when articles about these incidents get posted.

Angry at the person who posted them - because posting articles about incidents that actually happen all the time apparently makes someone an "Islamophobe" or a "Nazi" - rather than angry at the murderers and terrorists.

Heck, you have people like da1 saying that me posting these articles is worse than these guys murdering the people in the mall.

THAT is silly.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you on a per capita basis, there are far more Muslims world wide and a majority of them have not committed violence in the name of Islam.

I am only saying on an overall gl

7. Nook

Nook Member

*On an overall global level, far more violence has been committed in the name of Islam than by the KKK.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To be fair, the same can probably be said of most religions, historically.

But currently, Islam is by far the most-quoted motivation for violence and murders in the world.

9. Nook

Nook Member

It certainly can be said about most if not virtually all religions in power. Religion is a reflection of people.

The issue is that RIGHT NOW there is a great deal of blood shed in the name of Islam and the question is where is do we have a limit to the amount of violence we will tolerate or not.

If we lived in the Middle Ages we would be having this same discussion about Catholicism.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed.

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I rather think it is power that is the most potent motivation for violence, and actually as a notable subset of that, keeping political Islam down as well as up:

lest one can explain to me the common theme that links Assad's massacres (two generations) with the violence in Egypt, Saddam before he became uncool, and all of the puppet regimes pre-Arab Spring.

If Islamism is indeed a crime against humanity, bombings, drones, and puppet dictatorships, have seen to the fact that it is "punished". Overstating this global alarm bell is nothing new, adds nothing to the discussion, and ultimately, can be harmful based on overreaction (as we saw with the continued efforts at "regime change" in multiple nations that Bush Admin. officials were planning).

Violence everywhere is to be condemned.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you drunk? Try to form some coherent sentences next time.

13. Northside Storm

Well, it's better than the personal insults:

Your thread and posting style adds nothing new to the discussion beyond inflammatory rhetoric. The article adds nothing new at all, and since you didn't comment beyond that, by default there is nothing really to discuss here beyond your choice of others' words.

Your thinking is in line with a vein of thinking that has prompted invasion after invasion from Afghanistan to Mali. The saddest thing to see is people trumpeting this like it's some grand revelation, meanwhile, it's not as if mechanized drones hunt people who espouse violence in the name of Islam, and multiple nations have had dictators installed, and massacres tolerated to keep political Islam down.

We get it. Extreme political Islam that orients towards violence is bad. I don't think you'll find dissenters here. However, your narrow-minded focus on the issue doesn't add anything that hasn't already been discussed ad nauseam, and makes your world view very incoherent, because you find it hard to square away what happens when the forces that be that do suppress extreme political Islam commit terrible massacres on their end---thus your ambivalence about the Assad regime, and Egypt.

Beyond encouraging more blood for blood, I do not see what argument you are attempting to build. What more do you want done to suppress extreme political Islam beyond killing a bunch of people (which hey, tends to promote extreme political Islam!).

In order to be constructive, and actually build solutions rather than engineer problems, one must condemn violence everywhere, instead of focusing on one narrow subset. Only then, can one be placed in the frame of mind to address the situation at hand, rather than inflaming it.

Coherent enough?

1 person likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope.

15. Northside Storm

I can't help it if you choose to misunderstand, but the reality is, your way of thinking is destructive.

I think it'd help you immensely (and this is even on a personal level) to think more constructively.

Instead of thinking of problems, think solutions.

It'd make you a better read for me, in any case. I know you won't give a s**t about that, but on top of the lower blood pressure, and better life expectancy, I think it's a nice little perk if you want to thank me.

I see you've improved though, from launching insults to not. Congrats. :)

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How do you "overstate an alarm bell" when you read this?

http://nypost.com/2013/09/27/kenya-terrorists-tortured-victims/

All in the name of Islam.

Just like stonings in the Middle East, murders in Pakistan, murders in Afghanistan, murders in the Philippines, "religious police" in Indonesia, "religious police" in Saudi-Arabia, child rapes in Yemen, beheadings all over the globe, bombings in London, Madrid, New Delhi, 9/11, etc. etc. etc.

If you think that pointing out that there is a common theme to this means "overstating an alarm bell", you are a freaking moron (there is your insult). But we knew that already.

17. Northside Storm

ohh, sudden clarity.

Tell me, those who commit those acts, hell those who might have the minutest association with those acts, how are they dealt with? At best, they're fugitives. At worst, they're tortured, and languishing in a jail without basic rights. Somewhere in between, they're dead, killed by Western military forces intervening in their country, or a drone that earmarks them and probably several civilians, for death.

Your brave quest to enlighten everybody on this forum as to the violent excesses of extremists is futile, because it's not as if it's escaped the notice of military and defense forces worldwide, who are dealing with it in their sordid ways, and have been for several decades. Has that worked? Well...hmm. What could work better?

That discussion might be interesting. Your discussion highlights a problem the world is keenly aware of, and adds nothing to it. Your vein of thinking has been the rationale behind invasion after invasion after invasion, and several puppet dictatorships that do undesirable things like massacre their own people. It is hard not to see how pressing that alarm bell, rather than moving towards positive change, has caused in turn, significant damage. Fighting fire with fire tends to do that.

well, unless you want to propose some constructive solutions, really, all I see in this thread is inflammatory rhetoric, and the same old way of thinking, typical of your threads, really.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are we supposed to feel sorry for these people? What about the basic rights of the victims they tortured? Why do you focus on the basic rights of the perpetrators, not those of the victims?

Cry me a freaking river.

Really? Who on this forum would even know that 100,000 people have been displaced in the Philippines (Zamboanga) by Islamists who slaughtered hundreds of people...just this last month? It's the fault of people like you who constantly try to pretend that all that is just "socio-economic", "the common theme is that these acts have been committed by men", etc. etc., that people are just numb to the fact that all these acts have a common theme. People like you try to suppress the truth. THAT is what leads to ignorance. An open discussion of the facts is in fact what prevents ignorance. The left's "hush hush, let's just not talk about it, whoever talks about it is an Islamophobe and/or a Nazi" suppression of facts that are politically not opportune is exactly what leads to crazy reactions.

What the hell are you even talking about? Where have I advocated an invasion anywhere? In fact, I was AGAINST an invasion in Syria.

Why am I even talking to this person? :confused: He just makes things up.

#78 AroundTheWorld, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  19. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

What are the core teachings of Islam? Not blaming the religion for these terroristic acts, but why does it so happen that almost all of these guys are Muslims? Does Islam say somewhere to **** up others whom you deem as disrespectful to Allah? :confused:

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lets just say it is extremely bi-polar when it comes to treating non-believers.