1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It’s settled: we have the worst depth in the nba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This post is loaded with reality check for all the delusional folks in here since the off-season, who kept saying that this team is even better than last season because of quality and depth, and can take Warrior's out.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And you do know, that post is "also a reality check for the delusional folks" like @Zboy who were scapegoating Melo.

[​IMG]

Man, guys like you who play the "I told you so game" are really amateurs at basketball in the GARM. Stick to the Lin threads with the rookies, were you can make yourself feel smart.

#82 heypartner, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You need to learn the difference between escapegoating and scapegoating.

Noob.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you're looking for the word Escape Gloating

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nice new word.....

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

*where

7. raining threes

I wonder what it would cost to get Vince Carter from the Hawks. He could give 20 solid minutes from the 2/3 spots and can really shoot the 3. A perfect fit that shouldn't cost too much.

The still need to get a PG to replace MCW. Kick the tires on Jimmer and let the 2nd unit become the bomb squad.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"We are sooo DEEP"
    "We have no depth"

LOL, that this conversation goes back and forth. Yeah, the depth is not there. We need HEALTHY players that can provide meaningful minutes on a nightly basis and are serviceable to start from time to time.

too much detritus at the end of the bench.

NEED: Backup C. Backup PG. Backup Wing.

(Just as a thought exercise, imagine if we had some simple solutions off the bench like: PG: Tyus Jones, Wing: Garrett Temple, C: Taj Gibson/Robin Lopez. Nothing sexy, but players that like that)

DEPTH
    1) Gordon. But sadly he is playing VERY poorly.
    2) Ennis. He starts, but is probably best as a bench guy.
    3) Green. He probably should not be an every game rotation player. Just "limited rotation."
    4) Clark. He is a rotation worthy player. But he is a rookie so we have to take that under consideration.

5) Hartenstein. We love his hustle. But is is really a 3rd C type guy. Like Tarik Black. He should not be playing.
    6) Nene. rotation worthy. But hurt. Can we count on him? We NEED this to be filled
    7) Knight. Injured
    8) Chriss. Terrible
    9) MCW. Terrible
    10) Zhou. 2 years away from being 2 years away. (unless your are _holic then he is ready to start since he is better than Capela)
    11) Edwards. Not ready Viper.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much this.

Nene (who I like, but we cant count on, sadly)
    Chriss
    Knight
    Hartenstein
    Zhou
    MCW

That is SIX roster spots. SEVEN if you count Anthony.

Just outrageous.

We can't burn out CP/Harden/Tucker. As @Codman would say #DecreaseTheDrop

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Guys, this says it all about our "DEPTH."

jeevinesh and hakeem94 like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We have 5 roster spots occupied by people who have no business being on the team, 1 by a good solid vet who can't stay healthy and 1 on a hustle reserve big. Just can't waste 5-7 roster spots it's a joke.

Might have to wait until Dec15th though so Morey can trade some of those minimum scrubs without absorbing luxury tax hit by cutting them.

Deuce and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Looking back at it, there is no way Zhou Qi is slower than Hartenstein. I would give him a shot soon. I don't think he'd be better than Hartenstein, but we should give him a shot before cutting him. He is playing dramatically better in the G League so far. Hitting 40% of his 3's, rebounding is up too and blocking shots as always. Can't just keep him around forever, give him a shot or end it.

I would also give Caboclo a shot to backup up the 4/5. Let's just see what we got and if it's same or worse than Hartenstein, let's waive these guys and try a couple of new ones.

If Marreese Speights could be in any sort of shape, he could give us 15 minutes. How do professional athletes let go of themselves like that jeez. Tarik Black is available. Trevor Booker. At least these guys could give us 5-10 minutes, damn.

Little Bit likes this.
  13. justtxyank

Amazingly we turned 1 overpaid guy who was able to play decent minutes (Ryno) into 2 overpaid guys who can't see the floor (Knight and Chriss) and 1 minimum guy who can't stay with the team.

sushimaster and hakeem94 like this.
  14. justtxyank

I think people overrate Hartenstein's issues. He's a viable reserve and is in his first NBA action. Definitely not great and an offensive liability, but he's at least competent out there most of the time. It could absolutely be worse.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am fine with Hartenstein in the Tarik Black role. The THIRD center. Not counting TuckWagon, we need a competent backup C that we can count on to be healthy. Someone that can play 15 mpg and give you 8pts 6rbs etc.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I mean. He's not atrocious. But I don't think he'll be in the NBA very long if I had to place a bet. He is just so slow at his athletic peak and the NBA is not slowing down. He's not a threat from 3 and he's not rebounding well given he's always inside and bigger than most of his opponents.

He is certainly doing his best and his effort is admirable. But if we're being honest, any team looking to seriously put us away will roast him. Nene can come back at them on the offensive end and outmuscle guys inside. Qi, I'm hoping, can burn people from 3 point land and block some shots when he gets beaten. He's even grabbing alley oops on the PnR comfortably, he looks physically like a different man than last season.

Just saying, it's worth trying others. If they don't work out, then we go with what we have. But the bar is low enough with Hartenstein (you described it as competent) that it's worth giving Qi a shot imo. Unfortunately, with MDA something like an injury or a string of horrifyingly bad games would have to force his hand.

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here are some trades that I might like

Chriss , knight, FRP for bazemore ... ATL cuts salary , gets a pick , we get a viable rotation player

Chriss , Knight , picks for Hardaway jr . NYK cuts salary , gets draft considerations , we get a viable rotation player (albeit on a long ish deal and maybe he isn't that great )

Chriss , knight , Nene , (maybe a first ) for Barnes ..... Dal cuts salary , maybe gets a pick , Nene gets bought out , we get a viable rotation player at high cost .

At this point , knight and Chriss and firsts are really all we can offer . Is it better than Ryan + Melton + picks ...?? Yeah probably a bit better .

Outside of the ATL trade ... which I would definitely do ... the other two have us taking back a player who is overpaid . Hardaway has 3 years left ... and while Barnes is the same length as knight ... he's making more than Ryan Anderson .

With those last two trades you only do it if you think the player is going to improve his play in houstons system / with our stars .... it's not an unreasonable assumption. Barnes played well enough to earn that contract based on how he did with GS and on upside ... he's presumably healthy . Hardaway would greatly have his burden reduced by playing next to James and Chris .... both of those guys could be absolutlely elite 3 and D players . But it's risky .

What do y'all think ? Giving up too much , not enough ? Not the right players to target ?

19. MadRox

MadRox Member

Well, to be fair, most NBA teams are filled with multiple scrubs on their team.
    Look at GSW, outside their top 7 (Curry,Klay,KD,Iggy,Green,Livingston,Cousin), rest of roster how many legit rotational players, how many are scrubs. Can you even name any of them without looking up?

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Jerebko is not a certified scrub.