1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israeli court: American protester Rachel Corrie's death her own fault

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Related:

WARNING: graphic video of death.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZjuweNjJwrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the very least, an unjust outcome IMO. Thoughts?

#1 Mathloom, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

What a bunch of ****ing *****. I don't want the United States to give another penny to Israel. Let them go down on their own.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

So sick of tax dollars being used to support Israel. They have no respect for human rights.

1 person likes this.
  4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

pathetic. How / Why exactly are they our Ally?

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with keeping good relations with Israel but being a financial donor must entitle the US to some leverage in terms of demands. Maybe if there is some way to safeguard that aid from being used for military purposes and setting conditions which would incentivize progress towards an overall peace.

In cases like this, I wonder if there is an ulterior motive. I mean is it truly the case that they believe that this is the victim's fault? If not, then is it worth the backlash to go out of their way to come to a decision like this when US public support for strong bilateral relations is waning? The attitude displayed seems to be one where there is no fear that this will affect those relations. Does this relationship overshadow the US' duty towards its own citizens even?

Undoubtedly many Israelis will agree with the opinion that this is an unjust decision, and it is not as though we can fully equate Israel with Israelis. The real downside of this is the loss of life and the message that it sends to peaceful protest - that peacefulness will not be reciprocated.

I have heard that the attitude of extremists in Israel towards what they call "goyim" plays a significant role in this - I think in the same way that extremist Muslims tend to de-value the life of those they consider "kuffaar" (= infidels). I wonder if someone with more knowledge can shed some light on that.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

More anti-Israel propaganda by Islamist activist Mathloom.

Let me say first that I am against these settlements and that I am sorry Ms. Corrie died. Since I was not there, I also don't know for sure if the driver of that bulldozer saw her or not. But I will trust the independent expert findings in the trial - see at the bottom.

Mathloom makes a great effort to give an extremely one-sided account of what happened. That "real footage" "video" doesn't really prove anything one way or another.

I just spent some time reading up on this incident and we have to keep in mind that in a criminal court case (maybe not in the UAE, the dictatorial government Mathloom works for), if there is reasonable doubt, the defendant will not be sentenced. Even in a civil lawsuit, if the court cannot establish that there are sufficient grounds for the claim, the case will not be won.

I cannot say for sure that everything in this trial was 100 % proper, but at least there are strong indications that Mathloom is only trying to milk this to stir more hate against Israel, which he has been trying to demonize on this forum for ages.

Now, since Mathloom quoted extremely selectively and therefore has already presented the anti-Israel propagandist view of the case, let me quote as well (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Corrie):

The most important part, which people like thadeus (who tend to rush to judgment instead of informing themselves) should have read:

So if four experts, including one speaking on behalf of the suing family, say that the guy could not see her - how can he have run over her intentionally? This is a key fact that, of course, is completely ignored by those who want to hate Israel and would not have accepted any other outcome than more demonization of Israel, regardless of the facts.

Overall, this is just part of the Islamists' (therefore also Mathloom's) propaganda war. Of course one of the Gaza flotilla ships was named Rachel Corrie to milk this even more and stir up more hate against Israel. Very transparent.

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/rachel-corrie-verdict-highlights-impunity-israeli-military-2012-08-28

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What you are presenting is evidence that the killing of Rachel Corrie was unintentional.

But what Mathloom presented was that Israel prevented the incident from being thoroughly examined by investigators and generally manipulated the proceedings of the case.

The two points aren't directly competing with eachother.

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Because Israel has done a masterful job of exploiting American Christian Fundamentalism

1 person likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He said it was an unjust outcome. If it was indeed unintentional (as 4 experts testified, one of them on behalf of the plaintiffs), is it an unjust outcome?

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no defending Israel or their deplorable behavior in this regard. The fact that they manipulated and prevented a fair and thorough investigation is simply revolting.

1 person likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You as a known Israel hater would say that.

I guess it's more revolting to you than Islamists killing people in Mali?

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I certainly don't hate Israel at all. I hate their lack of human rights and when they do something deplorable like this.

Of course I hate Islamists killing people in Mali. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

This isn't a competition of who can be worse Israel or Islamists in Mali. I'm sorry that you some how feel that it is. I'll criticize Israel when I believe they're wrong, and I've never been accepting of extremists killing people whether in Mali or anywhere else.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just as you and others criticize me for "selective choice of what I criticize", I can do the same. It's not like you and others do not display your own bias.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You can criticize me all you like, but Israel deserves criticism in this case. I have plenty of critique for Islamic extremists and have expressed it on the message boards before as well.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I cannot even remember you having criticized Islamic extremists ever in similarly strong words ("deplorable", "revolting", etc.). Usually, the most one gets from you and other leftists is a shrug-like "yeah that was wrong, but what is there to discuss".

What exactly do you criticize Israel for? One thing I can find is that they did not let the Palestinian forensic expert testify. What else exactly is so "deplorable" and "revolting"?

Again, 4 experts - one of which was speaking on behalf of the plaintiff - said that the driver could not see her. If he could not see her, it was an accident. Is it an unjust outcome then?

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There are different levels of "unintentional", wouldn't you say? Even if it was indeed unintentional, that doesn't justify suppressing testimony from witnesses that might have offered a different perspective on the events that transpired. You know more about law than I do, but it seems to me that reparations may still have been due if it was a case of criminal negligence.

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I love how touchy we Americans all get when it come to precious, magical Israel. Yes they are one of our allies but lets face it, its sort of a one sided relationship....we give a lot more then we get.

I have Israeli relatives (my step-grandmother and aunt live in Haifa) and even they think the US's politicized crush on Israel is sort of a joke. However they appreciate the support. You think Fox News used to do its best to scare people who lived in complete safe areas (ie hyping up terror threat to people in flyover country)? The Israeli news is the same, except in their case the threats are real.

I have nothing to add to the discussion of the case....I wasn't in the courtroom or jury.

1 person likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Possibly. Difficult to say. If he couldn't see her, how was he negligent? If I jump in front of your car and you cannot see it and run over me, how are you negligent?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why is it acceptable to bulldoze people's home in the first place????

1 person likes this.