1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel to Allow Gaza to Import Shoes Again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Mar 30, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In a sign that Israelis are becoming more charitable and just they are now allowing Gaza to import shoes. It came after pressure from the US. It almost seems like this could be some sort of alternate sick Comedy Central story or perhaps from the Onion.
    Israel to Allow Shoes Into Gaza Strip After Three-Year Ban
    Pressure From US Seen as Key to Allowing Footwear Into Strip
    by Jason Ditz, March 29, 2010
    Email This | Print This | Share This | Comment | Antiwar Forum
    According to Palestinian officials, the Israeli government has made one of its most significant revisions to the Gaza blockade in three years, allowing the importation of shoes and certain types of clothes into the tiny enclave.

Israel has not allowed any shoes to be legally brought into the Gaza Strip since 2007, and officially cemented the ban in 2008 under the claim that shoes were a ‘dual use technology.’ This argument was based on claims that since militaries wear shoes as part of their uniforms, any shoes imported into the strip might be used as part of a military uniform. This same argument was made in the banning of many types of clothing.

For those who could afford it, this meant having to import shoes by way of the tunnels into Egypt, which regularly come under Israeli bombardment because they allow the importation of banned goods, from shoes to iPods to cars. For Gaza’s poor however, importation is not an option and they must make do with what they have or go without.

Officials say that the move is a concession by the Israeli government after pressure from the Obama Administration. The shoes will be allowed in later in the week, after the Passover holiday blockade is lifted. It is unclear if the move signals a semi-permanent end to the ban on shoes, or if the shipment will be a one-shot deal.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/03/29/israel-to-allow-shoes-into-gaza-strip-after-three-year-ban/

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]Israel has not allowed any shoes to be legally brought into the Gaza Strip since 2007, and officially cemented the ban in 2008 under the claim that shoes were a ‘dual use technology.’ This argument was based on claims that since militaries wear shoes as part of their uniforms, any shoes imported into the strip might be used as part of a military uniform. This same argument was made in the banning of many types of clothing.[/rquoter]

:confused:

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Even Israel bends to the power of Nike.

4. Chopped

Chopped Member

just shows what type of turd the US is supporting..

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Ya, definitely sounds like an Onion piece. Very sad that things have gotten to this point. :(

Not sure how Israel, as our ally, is allowed to get away with these kinds of things. Isn't this the kind of thing that we would expect from...I dunno....Iran?

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I expect more from Iran. Maybe North Korea.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

sad bastards keep using us.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, we are so much more lenient to israel then any other country because of
    A)politicans don't want to lost the jewish votes
    and
    b)Israel will occasionally play the Holocaust card and say that because we let 6,000,000 jews die that we should support israel

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

They didn't allow shoes to be imported :confused: Wow just Wow. I knew it was bad, but this is just being petty.

10. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

You people are just plain dumb. Do you even know anyone in, from or who frequently travels to Israel?

1 person likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I know several people

12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I'm sorry that 6M of my brothers and sisters had to die so we could "play a card." Do you even realize how insulting and moronic this is?

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes we do, what is your point?

You agree with not letting shoes in Gaza?

15. Major

Major Member

If this report is true and accurate (and it's a big if, given the source), it's hard to argue that Israel is truly committed to a peace process. There's no benefit here to this policy, and it harms the people who you ultimately would want to be a stable neighbor. If you're doing this, it's entirely punitive and serves no positive purpose.

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Can you blame them for their shoe concerns after this incident?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OM3Z_Kskl_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OM3Z_Kskl_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(I'm still not convinced this isn't an onion article)

1 person likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know I will get flamed for this given most of you know I'm Muslim, but it's been circulating and I found it interesting. I won't hide anything - I agree with most of what he says, and I do have the sincerest compassion for the lives lost during the holocaust. I'm not in the business of questioning whether it happened or how many people were part of it. As far as I'm concerned, the lives were lost and that's a huge tragedy. What I am interested in is the political usage of the tragedy to further agendas, if that is being done. I hold the same sentiment towards Muslims who beat themselves year after year for a thousand years now for the Prophet's grandson and still expect to take revenge on anyone and everyone who does not agree with them.

I'm just posting this as its related to the general topic of the thread and thought some people may be interested:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5drXEXkf9s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5drXEXkf9s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2 people like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

'

Another source:

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Perhaps I phrased that wrong. Israel will bring up how America didn't intervene during the holocaust until the last couple of years of the genocide. Because of this, it makes American policy makers feel guilty and makes them more sympathetic to Israel. I'm sorry if I offended you.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I quit trying to figure out Israel. It's a hardline government. Netanyahu is no partner for peace. He's only a partner for implementing hardline policies. The people elected their government...so I assume hardline is the approach the Israeli people want. I don't expect them to get anywhere with it...until they show a willingness to change and stop this suppression course they are on. The resistance to Israel is justified imo. I don't think it is in Israel's best interests to have peace. I have doubts they would live up to their side of any deal. The same might be said for the other side as well. There is still just too much mistrust for anything to get done. It doesn't help that Isreal does negative things any time the words "peace talks" come up. The whole VP Biden visit with the announcement of indirect peace talks and more building at the same time basically says all I need to know. Israel is not a serious partner for peace. And, the other side may not be as well...but Israel does a good job of not getting the two sides to the table all on their own. When you constantly do things you know are going to sabotage peace talks, then how can you be taken seriously as a peace partner? You can't. Even if a peace deal was signed, I would like to see it implemented successfully. There is just no way. And, as much as both sides like to put the US in the middle of it all like we hold the answer to peace, I put it on both of them. No matter how serious we get about it...the lack of seriousness on peace talks is all on them. They don't take it seriously...so why should we? Yet, somehow, it's on us to get it done. I think it is on them to get it done.