1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Launches Ground Invasion of Gaza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 17, 2014.

1. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Primitive? The rockets that have been fired throughout the Sharon area of Israel are hardly primitive, and I've experienced it first hand living in Tel Aviv. When the army lets them land in open space even miles away, you can feel the entire ground shake. They have anywhere from 90kg to 175kg of explosives attached, enough to take out as much as 4-5 floors in a building.

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Was reading wikipedia - since 2001 only 28 people have died to just under 5k rockets fired?

Won't say they are primitive, since I know nothing about rockets. But they do not appear to be too efficient.

3. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

Pure nonsense. Miss y'all though

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Just because the country's defense system is able to neutralize the threat of rockets doesn't mean the Rockets are not a national security issue, and causes consistent disturbance to the citizens.

That's kinda like saying I shouldn't stop the ****ers from shooting at my house because I have bullet proof glass.

5. bongman

bongman Member

Yes that would be immoral. I think you missed the analogy. Hamas tried to inflict as much damage as they can to the Israelis? Unfortunately for them, they are not as effective. They don't extra points for inaccuracy or lack of technology. If the tables were turned around, I would feel the same way.

6. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

15,000 rockets have been fired since 2001. Majority of the time they land in empty fields. Many of the rockets have been low quality, but in the last 3 years they have become more sophisticated. Tel Aviv has never had this much rocket fire in pretty much the history of the country.

Israel is a modern, 21st century country and economy. Just like any other Westernized country, they don't want sirens disrupting life on a daily basis. The fact that death toll is low doesn't mean they aren't a threat to daily life in Israel that significantly effect economic life for Israelis. When you have 1k-2k rockets/year being shot into your country, how do you just "accept" rocket fire? How do you deal with it? How do you stop it?

Its unacceptable, Israel cannot just accept rocket fire perpetually on its citizens. Hamas has the option to improve the lives of Palestinians but they choose violence. They have left the Palestinians as losers in this world as a result. Eventually the daily volume of rocketfire will go back to being lower than it has in the last 2 months, but in that time Hamas has once again managed to further impoverish its own people. How anyone see's this as benefiting the Palestinians just shows how unbelievably insane they must be.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Hamas has not historically had access to rockets that can reach Tel Aviv.

However some 200-300 rockets in the past 2 months have been shot at the country's largest city.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Even if we accept what you say as true then it is no excuse for Israel's behavior for many years in the past or breaking the latest cease fire which caused these rockets to be fired.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Encouraging polls for justice in Palestine.

The author who cites that poll believes Hillary will lose the Dem nomination over these numbers all of which are moving against long standing Israeli propaganda. I tend to doubt that, but things are going to change.

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/hillary-white-house.html

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Honestly, I think it's within Israel's right to respond militarily against Gaza, I mean if a neighboring state is constant firing rockets into my territory recklessly, you have to respond even if most of the rockets are ineffective. That's what I would want my Government to do.

But let's not pretend Israel gives two shets about Palestinian lives, they probably have no problem making their lives as miserable as possible. I think if it wasn't for like global pressure, and bad PR and international law etc., Israel would've nuked Gaza into kingdom come. I do think Israelis are using the littlest excuse to **** with Gaza.

Israelis probably hates Palestinians as much as the other way around, but they just aren't as desperate as Hamas. It's understandable too, they've had bad blood for centuries now. If the rest of the world didn't exist, I truly believe Israel would've completely taken over the entire area by force long long long time ago.

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

15,000 rocket: 28 death ratio is worse than I thought!

I guess I am tripling down on calling them inefficient.

12. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I don't understand why Hamas keeps on fighting. They know that at some point, they will lose, but are they trying to drag Isreal into the mud (force them to kill as many civilians as possible) before admitting defeat? And the Palestinians still voted for them in elections?

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Hamas does it so that when Israel bombs the people of Gaza, Hamas can claim they are sticking up for the Palestinians and keep their support. They can't really govern when there is peace because they aren't allowed enough water, they are kept off of the most the most fertile lands, they aren't allowed enough medicine, or food. So with those restrictions the people of Gaza wouldn't support them not being able to govern. So the only Hamas can gain support is to look like they are sticking up for the people of Gaza by fighting Israel.

14. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Do you ignore facts all together? The ceasefire was broken by Hamas. There has been rocketfire on Israel every month since Dec. 2012 when the last ceasefire was agreed on. Only ONE month, the month immediately following the last operation, did they go without firing rockets on Israel. You are factually incorrect.

15. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I think secretly most Palestinians wished they had Israeli citizenship. Who wants to live under oppressive Islamist regimes?

16. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

What difference does it make if they're inefficient? The firing of rockets at innocent civilians is an act of war whether or not they kill someone or don't kill someone.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I mean they probably don't want to be citizens of pretty much the enemy state that fire missiles and kills their civilians amongst other things like cutting off their water supply to make their lives as miserable as possible.

But their lives are probably bad enough under Hamas that submitting to Israel wouldn't be that bad of an option. But do they wish to? probably not.

18. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I read an AMA on Reddit about a month back, from a guy living in Gaza.

He said that 50%-60% of Gazans secretly in closed doors will say they wish they lived and had Israeli citizenship but can never say it in public.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Dude... you just brought up last page how amazingly powerful these rockets were - in saying they were totally not primitive

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that the people firing the rockets are a lot more primitive than the rockets themselves.