1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Launches Ground Invasion of Gaza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I appreciate that the BDS movement attempts an answer for Israeli complacency, but I don't like many of the fellow travellers and statements made that undermine it with reasonable concerns of anti-Semitism. I don't think pressure on Israel is at all unreasonable, but there is a world of difference between being anti-occupation and Israeli policy and being anti-Israel, and movements like these always attract the George Galloways of the world that IMHO, undermine their usefulness.

And I wouldn't want to live in one, which means Spain, Ireland, Japan, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Greece, Bulgaria, and Italy are off the list.

His father was a hawkish Revisionist ideologue, a secretary of Jabotinsky's, and a high flier in right-wing circles that never had the good sense to restrain his prejudice towards Arabs. Bibi is pretty mild by comparison.

Why? It requires them to give up having a state of their own and a generation of working toward that end. I don't think it's fair to the PA. When Abbas threatens to disband the PA and seek a single state solution, it's out of frustration and as a last resort, not because it is the most desirable of outcomes.

That's about as likely as Japan would give up being a Japanese state or Italy an Italian one. It's not going to happen.

That's already happening now. Nowadays they are going to Berlin.

I think you underestimate how manageable the conflict is from an Israeli point of view. Genocide is unnecessary...they are already contained and the conflict (which always gives the polls a bounce) that erupts serves to continue containing them, hence the status quo.

This what I think a single state solution would end up resembling, especially the only kind Israeli right-wingers would agree too. It pretty much is the Moshe Arens plan -- a completely demilitarized quasi-state within the state, but with universal suffrage.

3. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

4. houstonhoya

I think you underestimate the BDS movement and the international solidarity movement. It is not so manageable anymore for Israel and it will only grow more difficult as glynch has capably described. I think international pressure will only continue to mount, as it should, to end this ethnocracy. I hope you agree Deji, race or religion should never be a criteria by which a government affords a different set of rights to a preferred group and marginalized the unwanted, the human surplus for example that Bibi is slaughtering in Gaza simply because they are non Jews.

5. houstonhoya

Glenn Greenwald on US intelligence role in Israeli attacks on Gaza and other tidbits on the region:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HMuxNOtNL9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Nivos

Nivos Member

I think there is a far better solution to the palastinian state to be a self sustained state in the future with bigger territory than currently talked about.

The unique situation of Egypt, Jordan and Israel as a strong hold against radical Islam in the Arab world would force the Egyptians, and the Jordanians to take a much stronger part in the solution with them giving up some of their much bigger land and resources (along with the west bank and Gazza and Jerusalem as an International city) to form a true palastinian state that could support its citizens in dignity and hope for a brighter future.
    It will have to be when the Palastinians abandon their violent resistance before any kind of a true solution can move forward.

If the palastinians insist of a one state solution then Israel will give back the west bank to Jordan and Gazza to the Egyptians and Shalom al Israel (Peace on Israel), but I don't think its fair towards the Palastinians

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not only want to take away Palestinian land but want Egypt and Jordan to donate some.,too.
    Chutzpah !! :)

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Land is more important than peace obviously.

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

I wasn't suggesting a one state solution, I want the Palastinians to have a beautiful country of their own.

Glynch I'm sure you know the history of the region better than how you try to re-invent it.

The west bank is the "stolen" Jordanian land taken in 1967, so its not a palastinian land, but Jordanian land.

Gazza was also taken from Egypt in 1967, so the solution for a one state idea is everything goes back to 1967 borders and the Palastinians gets nothing.

I'm sure you don't want that and I don't want that.

The Jordanians have a big responsibility to the future palastinian state because 60% of Jordan are Palastinians, ruled (very well) under a minority hashamic royalty.

Egypt has their own problems with the Muslim brotherhood and the Jihadistic Islam aspirations so its their interest to create a moderate Palastinian state that will be based on modern western civilization values rather than radical Islamistic values that groups like Hamas and The Islamic Jihad brings to the table.

It seems to me more and more that the Palastinian issue has much more to do with the Arabic famous Honor than with them trying to actually build a country

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They can barely run the countries they have.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Massive war - do you even know the history?

Israel likes to say they were attacked first. Truth is they were invading Palestinian territories BEFORE Arab armies got into the fray - those armies moved in to defend Palestinian territory.

Do you know who started putting bombs in crowded markets and bus stops? It wasn't Arabs, it was militant Zionists. Arabs learned from a great teacher.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....so you're saying there wasn't a massive war in 1948?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

WWII ended in 1945

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's true, so your statement is that there was no massive war in the Levant in 1948?

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am not here to debate semantics.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly you are or you'd have had nothing to say about my original statement about there being a massive war in 1948.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

As I said, there was a civil war going on in 1947 in which the Israelis were ethnically cleansing out the Palestinians and arming Jewish settlements in what was to become Palestine.

Arab armies did attack but Israel had already seized the land. The war stopped them from taking everything.