1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Goes To War with Hamas 2023

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Oct 6, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

It’s been brought up several times already how Netanyahu supported Hamas over the more secular Palestinian Authority.

Nook likes this.
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They are actually not war crimes if those targets are being used by the enemy in a military capacity. Terrorists are not safe from reprisal if they operate out of a hospital. If they were, it would encourage everyone to use hospitals as their military bases, because they would then be safe from attack. There is no safe zone for enemy combatants. The only time you can't target them is when they are surrendering.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been telling you guys about this, I have seen it first hand for years, I spoke with a lot of these people.

People here on this forum never stopped attacking me for it.

These people literally applaud what Hamas did. They want to establish a caliphate. They have infiltrated the West and they will commit more terror attacks. They are Nazi-like religious supremacists.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Actually the UN would 100% agree to it and have wanted it. It's the US, at the behest of Israel, that is opposed to the UN getting involved for the last 30-40 years at least.

Ask yourself why Israel doesn't want a UN peacekeeping force in the West Bank and Gaza. If you don't know the real reason, then you truly have no clue and are just talking out of your ass.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Here is why:

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that UN. The UN that represents the WORLD. Not just right-wing interests and the desire for Israel to win at all costs.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Those aren’t war crimes in the strictest sense but that doesn’t mean they aren’t problematic or disproportionate.

It would be like saying thr FBI raid of Waco wasn’t a crime because there were actual criminals who had assaulted LEO. Most people recognize though that was problematic as children and others were killed.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

An expected and typical lazy response. I do wonder if all of you that mass consume content through social media and tweets have ever used a mirror.

10. StupidMoniker

I am talking about the law of armed conflict, not the facts of who did what. It is incorrect to say attacking a hospital is automatically a war crime.
    People's issue with Waco was that the ATF ended up killing nearly a hundred people, many of them women and children, because they wanted to take guns from Koresh and his followers.

No one would look at Waco the way they do if the Branch Davidians had just attacked a concert, multiple homes in a subdivision, and a few bus stops in Waco, killed a dozen people, and kidnapped a few more. They are not at all comparable situations.
    It might have something to do with the absolute bias of the UN against Israel. How many UN resolutions are there sanctioning Israel? How many sanctioning Russia, China, Iran, etc.? There are more UN resolutions critical of Israel than against every other country in the world combined.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The UN that just made Iran the Chair of the Human Rights Council meeting.

Do you understand the Human Rights situation in Iran?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

LOL, why do you think civilians are being used as human shields? Because Hamas knows it would restrict attacks on them, as killing civilians disproportionately is against international law (not to mention, morally wrong).

Human Shields in International Humanitarian Law: A Guide to the Legal Framework - Just Security

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, exactly, glad you are finally admitting that - and people like you are playing right into their hands.

There is only one alternative:
    • You either actually want the Hamas terrorists to win
    or
    • You are incredibly naive, to put it mildly

As I said, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and will assume the latter.

You are admitting that Hamas uses human shields so they can murder but not be attacked in retaliation - but instead of laying the blame on Hamas, you lay it on Israel - you want Israel to stop attacking Hamas, because "civilians".

But we have seen over and over and over again that all a ceasefire does is give Hamas the opportunity to recharge and prepare the next wave of terror against Israeli civilians. They even openly said that that's what they would do, and that they want to repeat October 7 again and again and again until Israel is destroyed and all Jews are killed. They explicitly said it!

You are basically expecting Israelis to "be good Jews and let yourself be slaughtered".

14. StupidMoniker

When attacking will provide substantial military advantage, it is allowed. Attacking the command of the enemy provides substantial military advantage, as does attacking weapons storage, troop concentrations, and communications. That's why non-evil militaries don't use churches and hospitals as their military facilities, because it subjects them to attack.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Member

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Except that the Branch Davidians also shot LEO.

Nook likes this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You went from saying "They are actually not war crimes if those targets are being used by the enemy in a military capacity" which is plain wrong, to "When attacking will provide substantial military advantage, it is allowed." That is still incorrect. Go read again about proportionality.

This isn't about Hamas. They are evil and commit war crimes when they use human shields, among other things. That is an inappropriate standard for comparison (too many here justify evil actions because Hamas is evil). The gold standard is international law, not Hamas's actions, and whether or not members of the current Israeli political leadership and military are committing war crimes.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are again spouting 'you are either with us or them'. That is simply the wrong way to view things. Here is a statement that I'm sure you agree with: you are against Hamas and against war crimes. If you differ from that, tell me.

What I'm doing is refusing to lower the Israeli government and its military to that of a terrorist organization, but to keep them to the international standard. I also just happen to strongly believe that's how to actually win and defeat not just Hamas, but Hamas-like organizations and reach long-term peace. And vice-versa - committing war crimes, even if you completely wipe out Hamas from the face of the earth, will create new and likely stronger Hamas that will harm Israelis and Palestinians.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

@StupidMoniker has already repeatedly educated you on your incessant spouting of "war crimes" being ignorant nonsense.

Nothing you posted there makes any sense whatsoever.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

You understand that it's a meeting?