1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Israel confiscates nearly 1,000 acres of Palestinian land in the West Bank

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ChrisBosh, Aug 31, 2014.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just don't understand how people here can tolorate posters like Bobbythegreat who believe that civilians in a democracy are no longer innocent from their government actions and thus do not deserve empathy. You know who else thinks this way? ISIS. Bobbythegreat, your logic and reasoning match that of ISIS. Be proud buddy.

2 people like this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He said he is also good with killing million of people including babies.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm, is ISIS a new addition to Godwin's law? I think it just might be, only time will tell.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I suppose is funny about fchowd0311's comment is that it reminds me of one of the oldest criticisms of democracy in that so often people pound their chests and remind you how the people have the power in a democracy during good times, but once something goes wrong, none of them want to accept responsibility for it. It goes from "THE PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER!" to "That guy there screwed up, what an idiot" in a hurry. In a monarchy or dictatorship, you can argue that the actions of the state are divorced from the wishes of the public (and they always do when it fails) but in a democracy, you cannot. In a democracy the government is you, or rather a representation of you (when I say "you" I of course mean the collective "you" not the individual "you"). When they screw up, you are the one that screwed up.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I promised a certain someone I wouldn't post in this forum like 3 months ago (a blessing actually) but this post is worth quoting. The parallel in the ideology is ironic, as you pointed out.

6. False

False Member

Good point, it's the same sort of primal root. Luckily for us our democracy (for the moment) has the Bobbythegreats being balanced out by voters supporting two middle of the road parties. The further we can keep these types of black or white no shades of gray low empathy individuals away from the levers of power the better.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's a well-known trick of leftists to demonize their opponents in a discussion. To say someone thinks like IS because of some isolated contribution in a discussion doesn't seem logical to me. Once bobbythegreat calls for beheadings, crucifications and stonings of those who don't believe what he believes, I might change my mind. I haven't seen any such thing though.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Killing million of babies is pretty extreme

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do understand that there is a difference between having the same philosophy in certain areas as IS, and being identical to them in all areas right?

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Typical. I'm over it.

11. g1184

g1184 Member

Personal accountability still exists within a democracy. The general population has some say in government, but doesn't exercise full control of it.

Half the US population thought Iraq was a mistake since 2005, but we ended up staying there for another 9 years anyway. If the people have the power, why is the US military still there?

Spoiler for size:
    [​IMG]

The US government hired Blackwater, should we all be on trial as war criminals?

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's a well-known trick of some to demonize their opponents in a discussion. To say someone thinks like Hamas because of some isolated contribution in a discussion doesn't seem logical to me. Once glynch calls for beheadings, crucifications and stonings of those who don't believe what he believes, I might change my mind. I haven't seen any such thing though.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just go outright and say that you are okay with killing thousands of innocents just because 60% of their populace is "guilty" according to you.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice try, but I never said glynch "thinks like Hamas". He has said he supports them as "freedom fighters", though.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Do you believe that bobbythegreat is correct in saying that Palestinians are bad people and that people do not care when bad things happen to them?

Does saying that make him a "good" person?

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Have you called others on the boards Islamists, or supporters of Islamists when they haven't stated that they support beheadings and every single thing that Islamists have done?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I am okay with Palestinians dying as a result of their own foolish actions as long as they still actively support the foolish actions that is causing them to die. An intelligent population would realize that what they are doing is hurting them and they'd change their ways accordingly. I don't have sympathy for a population that doesn't value self preservation or rather I don't have sympathy for a population that doesn't know what is in it's best interest. I don't have sympathy for terrorists or those who support terrorism.

People in a democracy have the means to change in any way they choose, if they choose not to change, it's their fault. When the people have the power, the people are to blame.....how is that hard to understand?

Also, since apparently I'm dealing with a bunch of window lickers, I'll explain that isn't the same ideology as IS. I'm not supporting any act of terrorism when I say the people are to blame. I'm not supporting beheading Palestinians, I'm not supporting the mass slaughter of civilians, I'm saying that I don't have sympathy for those who get caught up in the crossfire that their actions helped create. I'll also note for all of you Mensa members out there that a conversation about the trolley problem game in the past, doesn't change that.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Who said they need to support every single thing? There were plenty of crazies on here who were OUTRAGED about cartoons and some even said they wanted a cartoonist to live in fear for the rest of his life over them. And so on, and so on, and so on.

The issue with saying Bobbythegreat has the same mindset as IS is that he is clearly not an IS supporter. In contrast to glynch, who has called Hamas, a well-known terrorist organization, "freedom fighters", Bobbythegreat has shown zero indication of being supportive of IS. On the contrary.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The problem with this is that the Palestinians don't really have a democracy. And it is still sad that civilians die (who might not be supportive of Hamas at all) and especially children. But the responsibility lies with Hamas, and with those who voted for them and who keep them in power.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Nobody accused him of being a supporter. They accused him of having the same mind-set and reasoning regarding punishing everyone and making them valid targets if there was a govt. chosen that the enemy was against.

The rationale you gave for him not having the same mind set on the issue of collective punishment and punishing citizens of the govt. was that he didn't also voice an agreement with beheading journalists and the like. So that because he didn't do that, then he didn't have the same mindset as IS.

It seemed like your contention was that unless bobbythegreat also supported those things then it wasn't possible for him to have the same mindset on the issue of punishing every citizen of an elected govt. for the wrongdoings of that govt. which is the mindset that IS and other terrorist groups have.