1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Islam - an Ideology clash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think these celebrities in general practice a sort of 'supplementary' Islam and not the full genuine article. Then you have to factor in that maybe the Middle East Muslim world does not fully accept or not take these people seriously. They have no pull or substance when it is all said and done.

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

While in general I agree, and most Muslims practice a tamer form of Islam -- like Jews or Christians who follow more moderate teachings and understandings of Christianity or Judaism.

However, the Qur'an in Islam is not treated like the Bible in Christianity. To Muslims the Qur'an is the direct message given to Muhammad through Gabriel. It's not paraphrased. It's exactly as God intended it to be written. That's why it's still spoken in Arabic. It loses it's full meaning when translated.

It's very easy to go through the Qur'an and find passages that instruct followers to harm those who don't accept the message.

There are also numerous passages that are easy to find that dictate Jews and Christians are to be treated fairly and as "People of the Book."

Whereas in Christianity, there are no verses in the New Testament calling for violence.

There are many many many Muslims who haven't a clue what the Qur'an even says. They know certain Surahs, they can recite them, they might know the meaning the Imam tells them, but not all Muslims read and write Arabic nor do they all read Fusha (formal Arabic).

There is a legitimacy to the fears of Islam. Islam has been used for hundreds and hundreds of years as an imperial tool of sorts. But it's not people taking things completely out of context. It's just the confusing nature of Islam. One that advocates peace in one instance and violence in another.

Which is why stressing RADICAL or EXTREMIST Islam is important. Rudy Guiliani made this point last night. It's RADICAL Islam that we should fear.

And I'm so so glad he made the point of stressing they're killing FAR more Muslims (Shiites and others) than Westerners.

1 person likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The problem here is that Guiliani's 'pc statement' doesn't reflect his and Trump's policy desires.

A desire to ban ALL Muslim immigration or a desire to infringe on all Muslim American rights through illegal search and seizure(all mosques ought to be monitored) doesn't sound like someone who is stressing the distinction between hardline Islamists and moderate Muslims.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Trump has clarified his "Muslim ban" and it wouldn't be on all Muslim immigration. Also, I don't know what Trump's policy desires are because I don't believe a damn thing he says. Literally nothing he says I trust. Someone tried to tell me they know for sure who he would support for SCOTUS and not a clue who Hillary would so Trump is worth the risk...um no, he's not, because he could flip on the list like he's flipped on every issue he's spoken public about in the last 20 years.

Nonetheless, that doesn't change that Guliani's comments were very important and I'm glad he stressed them -- even if you don't believe that's how he truly feels or that his policy objectives would take those beliefs into consideration. I felt it was important to say and especially important to say to hardcore Republicans (conventioners).

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

For all our differences and arguments, this is spot friggin' on. It's what I was trying to stress, but much more coherent and to the point.

It's not to say Islam and the West CAN'T coexist or that it's necessarily a "worse" religion. It's just different and can't be entirely explained and understood in the terms of Christianity.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Spot on - and with a bit of a caveat - the Catholic church started to lose it's power when Martin Luther translated the bible from Latin - and the press printed copies in people's native language.

At that time people were paying for favors to get their dead relatives out of purgatory and into heaven.

At the end of the day Religion is always about politics, and power - Islam needs to be reformed - it needs to be re-written - because if you read the Koran you see that the message changes as Mohammed's life changed, it got less peaceful and more political - which is insane as it were TRULY God's message it would not change based upon one warlords political standing.

DD

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not to be disrespectful, but it appears you don't understand the Quran if you think it can be "rewritten." It's the literal word of God as dictated to Muhammad through the Angel Gabriel. It can't be rewritten unless God sends another message.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I do know that the message is that it was from Gabriel, I would counter with, what if Satan was pretending to be Gabriel how would he know? I believe all religions are made up, not just Islam.

But to me Islam is not really a religion as it is an ideology - a dangerous - bully pulpit one...with us or against us....

DD

#28 DaDakota, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  9. fchowd0311

All religions are a subset of 'ideology'. Every religion is a type of 'ideology'.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So are you saying that the key is to encourage trade and economic prosperity in these countries?

C'mon man - now you are making a gross generalization.

Where does that fear take people? What is the solution then?

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

The irony under Islam ...those non muslim who received little or no knowledge or the typical distorted deformed image of Islam are excused from any responsibility

12. fchowd0311

Did Muhammad desire a government based on religious law? If he did, he already is directly incompatible with Western secular republics.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

How about him saying " you are more knowledgable of your matters " ,as him saying use the rational tools to manage your business

How about him complementing "Alhabashi" who was once a ruler of Africa. By saying " he rule a land of justice" when both had different faith...

How about complementing People of the bible by saying : some of them fear God the most and rationally well natured

How about Quran Saying: even when you judge the one you hate, apply justice

How about...finding other sources which I admit of finding difficult to be found .its hard to google, more distorted sources than accurate one , which i previously thoughts it's easily there

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Islam is to belief in One God and his Prophets and it's hardly get more political than that..and when it's there ,it's in forms of self defence not aggression

"Don't be the aggressor God hates Aggressors "

the most prohibited things in Islam helps secular governments

-don't: kill,steal,cheat ,harm others,self harming ,lie,cheat ,forget the poor or those in needs of help ,or judge people as God and acting so etc all moral shared values which sadly many Muslims have done the opposite

What we see today is the opposite of more shaky political interpretation twisted targeting the least informed and those who are the least knowledgable by playing on emotions to full fill some agenda and less emphasize on the more vital chain of rules

Don't underestimate the power of idiots ,easily manipulated and they run with full steam

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

This might trick a stoned Muslim, but not many would even give this a thought. I'd imagine the rate of Muslims abandoning their faith is probably less than that of other religions. Primarily because most Muslims reside in Muslim countries and surrounded by the culture.

You can't reform or rewrite a religion by trying to convince them their initial premise -- that the Qur'an is literally the word of God with absolutely ZERO human error -- is false. Though, being non or anti-religious, I wouldn't expect that to be your true goal.

Where does complacency and turning a blind eye take us? 9/11. But you're right, fear doesn't solve this or make us any safer (though it can lead to actions that make us safer/it can also lead to actions that make us less safe).

What's the solution?

The solution to radical Islam in general or our (American) safety in particular?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would say there are vast differences between the two practiced today and hopefully it won't take 50 years for them to reconsider these secular ideas that Arab states attempted in the 50's before the fundies took over.

My cynical mind tells me it will take much longer as it's easy to tear down and rule with an iron fist rather than to build up and foster a culture of civic duty and responsibility by following Islam on the abstract rather than the literal.

Or maybe a state like Iran will surprise us and gradually become that ideal state with a younger generation wanting and deserving better.

The problem is that Islamist terrorists label the American Muslims you mentioned as apostates and don't even blink an eye if they're harmed in some way or fashion.

My bleeding heart tells me that there are endemic problems to Islam practiced around the world that can NOT be ignored, some I concede to their current state as opposed to how they were a dominant power a hundred years ago and beyond. To me, that is women's rights and the religious freedom to practice and choose.

If I can't pussyfoot around the black and white and have to label "Islam toxic" in order to support the rights of women and religious freedom for all, I would choose the latter and support steps to prevent the subjugation of it even if it infringed on their religious rights and makes me a hypocrite (...just not a violent hypocrite).

That answer is likely worse on the meta level.

#36 Invisible Fan, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  17. Exiled

Exiled Member

aside from celebrities , normal non-muslim from various background becomes Muslims which it surprise me too, and they are usually much better in doing it...they follow a belief rather than a shallow cultural practices born with

18. fchowd0311

I find Muslim converts the most anal and extreme about their new found religion.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think it is all false, and made up to control the ignorant masses....all religion.

There is no proof it is real - so why should anyone believe?

DD

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

Some yes. reminds me of an Arab Freind who married a cool American women and she started to become a muslim, then she begin asking him to stop drinking and do this and follow this...it end up with a divorce