1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ish Smith appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Ish looks like a legit NBA pg.

1) Looks to have elite handles, can weave in traffic with no fear or problems, not afraid to probe defense with the dribble, can get to the rim no problems. Doesn't look out of control on the end of drives.

2) Controls the tempo well, the team always seem to know what play to run when he is on the court, the "can't create their own shot" players on the team like Hayes, Battier, Hill, seem to do much better.

3) Looks to have elite athleticism, speed and hops, can get to the rim at will, and also is a surprisingl good rebounder and not afraid to mix it up in the paint rebounding.

4) Above average defender, can get around screens ok, cut off penetration, good rotations, not an elite defender because he does not force mistakes, but he controls his man pretty well.

The only thing I see he needs to improve on is his finishing moves on his drives, all he has right now is a little floater, he really needs to put up shots with better balance, maybe a stop and pop, a step under, shoulder leaner and fade, etc...

But really I can't believe he didn't get drafted, he has the skills to play in the NBA immediately, he literally could be an All-Star if he improves his shot making abilities.

2 people like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well said.

3. startah

startah Member

Ranjo rando in the making.. give him more pt Adelman let lowry slide at two for sometimes...

1 person likes this.
  4. kevtse

kevtse Member

Gotta appreciate ish, he's just incredible.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do the Rockets have to wait until the end of the season before offering him a new contract?

I wonder what Brooks would be thinking if the Rockets give Ish a multi-year deal before him.

6. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Get him a jumper and I'll give him props.

Until then he's only a stand-in. A very good one, nevertheless.

7. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I know it's early, but I believe Ish might be the best passer the Rockets have had since John Lucas. He just makes everybody better. He seems to be a better defender than AB as well.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I agree with the OP, though he needs to improve his FT%, otherwise we'll be seeing Hack-a-Ish before long.

9. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Keep up the good work Ish!

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Great timing for Ish Smith. Glad he's on the team and gives us a different look than what AB offers. It's really up to RA to find the right mix for our players. We have a good team.

I think Ish's play gives a lot of energy and confidence to the guys as he's always pushing the tempo and everyone has to be alert on what play he is creating.

11. SeabrookMiglla

hes young and definitely has potential, hes fast and has a great variety of passes he just needs to work on his shooting. got some good experience already

12. mig0s

mig0s Member

I would rather not. If he gets a contract now, he'll probably play less intensive. Now he's trying hard to prove himself, and it's a good thing:)

13. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

The jury's still out on whether he can make that floater/runner in the lane. I think he's just getting used to the pace of the game then he'll start making more shots. If he starts hitting those shots, our PG position is not a problem. He is elite in running on the break, but he can be wild at times.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I believe the Rockets already gave Ish a 2 year contract.

15. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'll never forget when Ish knocked Texas out of the NCAA tourney last season with a buzzer-beating jumper over the outstretched arm of Avery Bradley, Barnes' best on-ball defender.

He looked strong tonight. He had a couple of pretty dimes to Hill and Hayes, and he's arguably the quickest player from end-to-end in the league. Let's hope he can keep it up for the next 4-6 weeks...

16. yuanbo

yuanbo Member

totally agree.....IMO the chance that Ish becoming an allstar is way better than AB becoming one. Ish has everything a elite PG needs. shooting doesn't really matter as much as court vision to a PG. Plus, Rockets already has enough fire power. Brooks' shooting ability and poor playmaking ability actually restrict Rockets' offense.

1 person likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ah .. you are correct. Good job Rockets.

18. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Ish 'The Dish' !! :grin:

19. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

lowry get as much rest as u need we need u 100% smith can have the spotlight while your gone

20. Dei

Dei Member

I already take him over Brooks because he can pass. I haven't seen a Rocket make those kinds of passes since Tracy McGrady.