1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Isaiah Hartenstein - Rockets second round pick (43rd overall)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2017.

1. basketballholic

Hehe

Jokic?!?!?

Wha..................?!?!?

SMH. I can't quit laughing.

Similar body types, eh? (300lb Joker with mammoth thighs) Watch Jokic on defense and pattern after that????? (Yep, that'll help. LOL)

Oh dear lawd, I must be in an alternate universe.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Good gravy. I've seen it all.

Edit: surely your post was sarcasm. And I fell for it.

#341 basketballholic, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Pretty sure @NIKEstrad was 99% serious. Keep in mind 99% is not 100%

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

@everyone like this man's post!

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are such a douche dude...

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hartenstein is going to be attacked like Jokic is 1 on 1 and needs to figure out how to not be a liability. Jokic (and the Nuggets in turn) has made tremendous defensive strides this year, despite a general lack of athleticism. This has been written about extensively. See for example:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-on-the-defensive-end-thanks-to-nikola-jokic/
    https://nugglove.com/2018/11/19/denver-nuggets-nikola-jokic-defense/
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/11/2/18048144/denver-nuggets-defense
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-denver-got-better-on-defense-without-changing-its-roster/
    https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/12/nikola-jokic-rpm-overcoming-visual-biases/

He's never going to be Jokic (on either end). He's also never going to be a DPOTY like Marc Gasol. Doesn't mean he can't make a great back-up to Clint Capela's long, illustrious Rockets career.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

100% Confirmed....and I liked it

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think Hartenstein's got some major hurdles to being a capable NBA player. Guys like Kanter and Valanciunas can create their own shots and are extremely good finishers and rebounders, but are struggling to find extended minutes in today's NBA because of their defense. Valanciunas is extremely talented and I would be ecstatic if Hartenstein was like him, but how likely is that? He's young, but played stiffer than them on defense from the short minutes we saw him. His best case scenario is becoming an ace three point shooter, but his percentages aren't that promising.

topfive likes this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

As someone with a background in poetry, I would like to critique:
    Your post is presented in the style of a poem, line by line.
    It focuses on style: the lineation, the tone, rhythm with the caesuras (pauses, like at periods and commas).
    Lines 1, 2, 3 ,5, 6, 7, 8 all express essentially the same thing: "LOL. Oh my!"
    Line 4 says something different. It is the pivot or the turn in the poem. It is also a very long line, where your breath exhausts to the ultimate end of your exasperation with this poster.
    The "LOL" at the end of line 4 is the precise (palindrome!) pivot between the ridicule of the introduction and the ridicule of the conclusion.
    This poem shows stylistic consistency and a clear tone.

Blatz, vator and seeingred like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

@hakeem94, we have a GARM POTW candidate!

J Sizzle likes this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

NIKEstrad reply...btw the little shooter is obviously bbholic...
    [​IMG]

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here are highlights from his last game . He doesn't dominate physically in this one; instead, you see a semblance of skill . Some nice passes, some 3's , and good defensive technique.

Hartenstein has shown some of this at the NBA level .... in other words , I've seen him make a three , I've seen him play proper technique by moving his feet , I've seen him rotate quickly and correctly .

He just has to do it consistently. Hopefully these g-league games give him a way to practice having that mental focus and physical energy needed to lock in .... in not so sure that they are better than spot NBA minutes , but that's another discussion . Given how little the main team practices , the g-league route is probably best for his development .

I don't know that he will get another chance this year . We have farried and Clint completely shoring up the position whe Clint comes back and in the meantime , MDA seems content to use nene for 10 minutes and play small if he has to . Kind of scary to think what happens if either guy (or pj ) gets in foul trouble or hurt .

As a developmental player , hartenstein putting up this production in the g-league is nice . There aren't too many 20 year old seven footers that can do all of these things . It's more likely that big guys are taken on development potential due to athleticism .... Isaiah has a decent amount . He won't be an above the rim player , but you hope that he has enough athleticism to stay solid on defense (in combination with technique, instincts , and hustle ) .

His offensive profile is good IMO . He has enough speed to be a decent rim runner , and should be able to develop finishing ability . He seems to have decent touch . His shooting potential also looks pretty good . His passing looks to be excellent (for his current level )

I mean there are a lot of question marks ... but at this point I'd rather have more question marks than flat out no's.

Currently , he needs to get used to the speed of the game . G league is slower than the NBA , but maybe he needs to fully master the g-league first . I think if he continues to sustain something like 30 points and 15 rebounds then that tells you he has .

If he gets another NBA shot then he can experience that pace again and hopefully continue learning and adjusting .

Over the summer work on explosiveness , conditioning, and skill .

Come back and win a backup big spot for good . If he becomes a consistent shooter that helps him get PT on our team soooo much quicker .

sorry for this super long post , but player development is one of my favorite subjects

12. basketballholic

K.......

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. basketballholic

Ainge to Demps
    The rest are wimps
    Moving Kyrie
    Send us AD
    You be wise
    I'll be smart
    Dont delay for Ojelay
    So we can have a holiday
    With pieces and picks from the Knicks
    We too will bring a few
    A King, with Jaylen, Aron, and Morris too
    It's not real tricky
    We're not picky
    You can be swell Dell
    And saved by the Bell
    By using your space to save face.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Pretty tantalizing highlight. That quick dribble drive from the key, through 2 defenders for a slam finish was super nice. That’s sort of thing, in tandem with Harden you wouldn’t expect but if teams were to leave him a cakewalk to the basket he could do it once and they’d have to account for it the rest of the game, taking one possession worth of the load, give harden even more space because they can’t just ignore the roll man because he has no offensive ability ::cough::

From what I’ve seen, this stint seems to include him flushing the ball instead of laying it up. Also, super nice to see. That’s the difference between and-1s and getting blocked.

And a 7’ with range? Mercy.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Possum

Possum Member

Seriously dude, why would you even respond to that chick?

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The kid looks like a keeper.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

ITT; one of the worst posters in clutchfans history laughs hysterically at one of the best posters in clutchfans history.

topfive and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isaiah Hartenstein: A lesser Harden?

tinman, Williamson and J.R. like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That kid can play. We must keep him.