1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Really Worth Keeping Long Term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cglede, Jan 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

But that's not the point of the thread. We are trying to debate whether WE need to keep him, and I am arguing that maybe it's a moot point if Yao is inclined to leave.

If indee the deal strikes down, will Rockets fans accept a Odom+Milm+Butler+future first round pick for Yao+Howard(Mo)+throw in deal? Will Rudy and Yao be considered traitors by the fans on this board? Serious replies only.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you'd think that's true...but it hasn't been in the past. for other players that size, i mean. which brings us back to the arguments we had before the guy was ever drafted.

my problem is...if you're gonna spend a #1 pick, you better see an elite type player. and frankly, that's how yao was sold. he'd change the game. he'd be dominant. etc. yes, yao is among the top 3 centers in the game. but i'm not sure that means much, when you consider the competition and you consider the kind of production you're seeing from 7 foot power forwards/tweeners.

again...he may very well become that player. but i think there might be more risk in seeing how that develops than there is in trading for a handful of talent and draft picks right now. i haven't thought that all the way through, though...and i'd need to evaluate any trade on a one-by-one basis. of course it's a moot point, because the rockets will not trade this guy anytime soon...he means to much to the franchise off the court.

3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

:(
    Maybe we really should trade Yao for an all-star PF now, e.g.,
    Brand, Randolph, Boozer, etc.. Guys who runs and gives you
    20/10 night in night out. I doubt he could meet the high
    expections of Rockets fans who always compare him to
    Dream/Shaq. I think this is the way to settle down the endless
    debate here. Yao could mature at his own agenda and Rockets
    gets what they want right now. Both party may be able to
    appreciate each other better.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

IF there was to be a trade in the work (which theres not) im pretty sure we can get much more than Odom,Milm, & Butler, IMO. Yao's face value is off the charts as much as we hate to belive.

5. MadMax

it's not a matter of comparing him to Hakeem. it's a matter of comparing him to:

1. his own hype before he got here;

2. other #1 draft picks.

there's a cost in taking a guy #1...it's your opportunity cost of taking ANY OTHER player...or the cost of what you would have received in a trade.

6. snowmt01

Go back to the threads in 2002 to check our expections then.

7. MadMax

you know what??? i agree with you...and i think that makes my point even stronger. i think you could command ridiculous talent for yao. simply because he's yao. simply because of what it means to a franchise that has a very populous continent's favorite player. i think his value is sooooo high.

8. MadMax

well..i don't know how to do that. but we were told this guy would change the game. that he was 7'6" and could do it all. i assumed that meant he could do the things you would ASSUME a 7'6" guy could do...like rebound...be an enforcer...win jump balls.

we were told he was different from guys like bradley because he could actually establish his own position and get really easy shots out of that, due to his height.

yeah...i'm not seeing that. i'm not sure i'm even seeing progress in there. i'm seeing flashes of it, every few games or so. but i saw that in year 1.

9. New Jack

New Jack Member

That was before the Rockets traded away their entire team to get players that fit Yao, and fired a coach that was apparently holding Yao down, and built an offensive system around Yao and spent 3+ seasons trying to implement that system around Yao.

The Rockets have invested quite a bit and I don’t it’s too much to ask for him to play like a franchise player is supposed to play like after the Rockets have treated him like a franchise player.

10. snowmt01

;) Cant believe an old-timer like you couldnt find the old threads?
    Hint: it takes some time, page by page. Anyway, the expectations
    were not that high then. Many posters were ok to get a Rick
    Smits. We chose him over smaller players because big centers
    could anchor the defense. So far he's doing great in that area.
    But even the most insane posters wouldn't expect anything remotely close to Dream/Shaq.

11. MadMax

what?? no i don't remember that at all. you don't spend a #1 pick on Rik Smits. that's absurd.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I think your giving up on him to soon... How ever his value is extreammmmly high but dont you think its up there for a reason?

13. MadMax

i think it's partially a product of potential...and a big part of who he is, personally. where he comes from. marketing value. etc.

i don't see a lot of other 18/8 guys in Gatorade commercials.

i'm not giving up on him...i just think right now his value on the court is less than what you could get in return for him on the market.

14. snowmt01

Comon on, do you honestly believe Rudy T was fired because of
    Yao? Francis and Cat was traded for Tmac. I think any GM would
    do that trade any day. Also, our offensive system was built
    around Yao? Which team are you watching?

15. snowmt01

Check those threads yourself.

16. Charvo

Charvo Member

Yao needs to get his hook shot back. I don't see Yao establishing the dominance he had at times last year until he can make 50% of his hook shots.

17. MadMax

i don't know how to do it, first. second, i don't give a damn what they say. you don't spend a #1 pick on Rik Smits. sorry. you don't. that's ridiculous.

but that's not the way i remember it, anyway. certainly he wasn't hyped to be the next Rik Smits, snowmt. you know better than that, too. and it's very telling that even his supporters are settling with that, now.

18. shawn786

shawn786 Member

18/8 guy i cant really argue there because thats where his numbers are at... The thing with Yao is when hes on the floor he frees up other people because he demands a double team. Thats why he is more than a carrier J. Howard.

19. MadMax

i'm not seeing him regularly doubled. are you??

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

No but you telling me w/ Yao on the floor deffenses dont change their inter rotation and over all look on the game max?

Add: Hell if they treated him like just another 18/8 guy he'd be a 30/15 guy!