1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Really Worth Keeping Long Term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cglede, Jan 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cpan

cpan Member

You ask, here it is.
    1. trade Ward for peanuts
    2.trade JV for a panda
    3.trade spoon for chopstick
    4.trade CD for MP3

trade Yao for 2 mil Dell stock.

trade accepted!

2. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

I can't believe you actually fell for that simplest troll trick in the book!
    If you actually think the original poster was interested in having any intelligent and insightful conversations with fellow Rockets fan about Yao or the team, I really don't know what more to say to you.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Now a thread like that from somebody rarely posts here is suspicous. I suggest not repond to it at all.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Right on. Be smart, people.

swilkins: for every weakness you listed about Yao, I can counter with a strenth Yao poesses. At the end of the day, he is still 7'6 and skilled for his position. Every championship team needs a big man unless you have a guy named Jordan.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I post all the time & i dont think im kown for starting up arguments or bashing people left and right? Im suprised u jumpped to such a concluion for a poster whos comes across as a troll to me.... Its ok i can take the critisizem but i still stand by all my posts!

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

After the BLOWOUT defeat tomorrow against the Suns, expect to be entertained by the lots of RIDICULOUS THREADS.

"Trade Yao for for Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction"

off topic: Who was the idiot in the chat that said " Someone threw a cup of drink on Mo taylor, without spilling a single drop, Mo ask for a burger along with the drink"? hahhaha THAT WAS SOME FUNNY STUFF:D

7. leehoang

leehoang Member

8. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Agreed! Yao's NBA career is ending..........:(

9. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Plus no team will pick Yao up, even for league's minimum. :eek:

10. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Man- this thread has gone to the birds. Before it dies out, here is why Yao is more valuable than Amare.

You can't teach height. 7'6" is still 7'6" and Amare will never have that. How many times does Amare cause mismatch problems? How many times does Yao change an opponent's shot?

Also, dunks are nice and fun to see, but when it comes to clutch time and your team needs to hit the game winning shot, I would rather have a guy who: 1) has greater shooting range and 2) can shoot freethrows (both of which Yao does better than Amare). How many times do you see someone getting a dunk to win the game?

Finally, from a marketing stand point, Yao is a gold mine. The Rockets are definitely benefiting from that (jerseys, ticketing sales, licensing etc).

As for stats, both guys have almost identical stats for their careers... and that's with Yao having to work all season without the benefit of a true point guard. Factor that in with JVG's slow paced offense and Yao playing less minutes than Amare and you see that that even the scoring isn't really that disparate.

Just remember, dunking doesn't equal success. Does anyone remember the likes of Kenny "Sky" Walker, Dee Brown or Harold "Baby Jordan" Minor? How about Darvin Ham on the Pistons? He threw down thunderous dunks and broke backboards in college but it hasn't gotten him much in the pro's.

Now tell me why you think Amare is better... and don't just say b/c he dunks and scores a few more points. Also, Yao is averaging fewer turnovers than Amare over their career (so don't tell me how often Yao gets the ball stripped). If you watched all the Sun's games, I'm sure you would see that Amare loses the ball even more. I'll be eagerly awaiting your analysis.

11. rocket3forlife2

None of those players dominated at there postion like amare has done 90% of the games this year.I didn't see shaq name nowhere in your post.Yao is not playing better then amare this year. Amare is just a better over all athlete and a smarter player(my opinion).I think the biggest problem yao has is his butter fingers and his balance. Untill he can figure that out, Then amare will have a better year then him.......We will see tomorrow.

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

JVG for Phil Jackson:D

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, that Admare is a beast. Who's he play for again?

[​IMG]

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yao will never be traded. people who don't like him because they want a flashy dunker now instead of waiting for him to develope into something great will just have to deal with it.

and steve isn't comming back either.

what the hell happened since last year? everyone wanted stseve gone because he wasn't a good fit with yao. now there are trade yao threads and a whole lot of bring steve back threads. why not just trade yao for steve and we can be the orlando magic. maybe everyone will be happy then.

15. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

He was single covered and had lots space to operate his shot or dunk, Yao was crowd by the people and even don't have room to drible, that's the difference, if the teams dare not to throw double teams on him, Yao probably is the most dominate player in the league right now.

Yao never ever dunk on people on consistent basis, don't expect Yao develop his aggressivness into the powerful dunker, he will never be that kind of guy.

The opposite Teams won't allow Yao take his advantage at 7'6, they will try out every strategy to stop Yao, it's not a simple game on the court, it's the war.

16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

This thread isnt worth posting in anymore... Let it just die out.

17. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Oh yeah- I forgot to mention that Shaq dominates with a 46% FT avg. this season. Here are how the 3 break out for the season-

Yao Ming - (31 mpg) 18.8 ppg 8.6 rpg 1.7 Blks 3.2 TO's
    Amare S. - (36 mpg) 26.7 ppg 8.6 rpg 1.7 Blks 2.5 TO's
    Shaq - (35 mpg) 21.4 ppg 10.5 2.7 Blks 2.8 TO's (46% FT)

Yeah- Amare's numbers just leap out at me b/c they are so much better than Yao's. Look at the stats - they are almost identicle. What make's Amare a better overall athlete? The fact that he scores more points? I guess those extra points make Amare dominant. And as for his "butter fingers", guess who averaged 3.2 TO's last season? That's right, that dominant guy Amare. Yao has averaged 2.3 TO's his first too seasons so I chalk up the increased TO's this season to playing without a decent/true PG. I guarantee you that Nash's passes are alot more accurate than the combo of Sura, Ward and Lue. Plus, adjust Yao's numbers with 5 more minutes a game and his stats would actually look better than Amare's in most categories and be pretty close to Shaq's. Oh- except that Yao wouldn't "dominate" the FT line with a 46% FT avg.

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Swap Yao and Amare and let Amare deal with the doubles from 4 and 5 of the opposing teams whiling playing the Rockets. From the a dozen or so Suns games I watched this season, Amare draws double team about 3% of all possession. Not that he is not a great player, but with 5 Suns starters can kill you in so many ways, the opponents cannot afford to DT Amare, leaving him to single coverage by the likes of Kandi man, Madsen, etc.

At least a signigicant portion of Amare's domination comes from:
    1) weak competition in the 5 spots as a whole in the league;
    2) no double team to slow him down;
    3) playing with a great run and gun PG in Nash.

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

It’s not like Amare doesn’t deal with double teams. He may get the occasional easy basket here and there, just like Yao does, but quite a few of his baskets are in a congested paint area with 2 or 3 guys surrounding him. I amazed sometimes how he’s even able to get some of his shots off, let alone making them. With the exception of Shaq and maybe Duncan, Amare may be the best player in the league at scoring in traffic.

20. cglede

cglede Contributing Member

Shawn, go home your time here is expired!!!! Your comments are played out just like tyson wanting to come back and fight again!!!

If you really hate my thread som much why don't you start your own, and talk about how much you hate mine okay!!!

Peace!!