1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Ming underappreciated as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Feb 28, 2008.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I admit I've underappreciated him,and also been a big critic of him as well as T-Mac more than anyone else. The reason is the same as for most fans,the expectations are high from them. I tend to take a great performance for granted because it doesn't seem extraordinary for a star player. I had no idea that he was playing though pain.

The only way we could gone deep into the playoffs even with a healthy Yao and T-Mac would be through over achievement,all I hope for now is the same attitude which the team has been showing since the start of the winning streak. We are going to have a very rough ride,there will be losses. The true test is how will the guys bounce back. They have to prove it that they can get to the playoffs.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ya know the rockets is a classy organization. Dream wanted a 4 year contract and not a 3 year one that the Rockets offered him (even though he had nothing left but a year max in his body).

And America isn't as evil and money-minded as you think. Most Rockets fans, the organization, and the team just want Yao to get better. IF we didn't care, we'd try to rush him back. But we don't. And we understand he wants to play in the Olympics.

Get a clue please, because you're painting an unnecessary picture.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Get back to me when you have some idea as to what you're talking about. Hakeem was the last great player to pick a team up and carry it to a championship. In 94, there were no other players to really mention....were there even any all-stars on the 94 team other than Dream? Jordan had all-stars surrounding him, Magic had all-stars, Duncan's had all-stars, Shaq's had all-stars....Dream didn't until they traded for Clyde.

Yes, Clyde Drexler was a top 50 Hall of Fame basketball player with a championship ring, 10+ all-star appearances and 3 finals appearances. He's definitely ahead of your beloved Yao in top Rockets ball players.

Oh, thanks for the history lesson on Jordan...wtf does that have to do with anything? :rolleyes:

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Great post! ;)

5. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

You finally went to some word that reflect you people.
    Dream didn't beat anybody single-handedly. Jordan couldn't do it either. Period.

1995 playoff? Did dream have clyde, one of the 50 all time NBA stars?
    You are too defensive of Dream and rox.

6. IROC it

Jordan would have never won it all without other all-stars on his roster.

DREAM accomplished it in '94 with very little help.

Look it up.

And Jordan had all-stars with him in '95... Pippen anyone?

And "you people?" What's that mean?

Us R.O.F.'s? Or us been-here-since-before-2002 fans?

:rolleyes:

7. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

Right, Chinese basketball officials should be bashed.
    Yao belongs to us fans, not to these lowly officials, who try to build their political careers on wins offered by Yao.

8. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

wft you are talking about? Dream had good players with him.

Dream won the first ring after Jordan retired. He won his second with Clyde. That's a great achievement anyway.

As I said before, I don't care about Yao's legacy on this team.

9. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

very little help? You call Otis Thorpe | Vernon Maxwell | Robert Horry | Mario Elie | Sam Cassell | Chris Jent | Carl Herrera | Scott Brooks | Larry Robinson | Matt Bullard | Richard Petruska | Earl Cureton | Eric Riley | Kenny Smith very little?

I thought people were even screaming to get an old Sam back to this team.

It is really a pity for Dream to get his first ring in 1994. It would be better to get it in 1993. i guess he had to make it to the final first. Where was the "single-handed" in 1993?

10. IROC it

How many all-star games did Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Otis Thorpe, Mario Elie, Matt Bullard, Carl Herrerra, Chris Jent, etc... have?

Hmmm?

Yet Jordan -the ever present in the finals (not) - managed to not make it past the Shaq-led Magic in 1995.

Why?

Did you realize the Dream made it to the finals in 1986? Why didn't Jordan?

Did you realize the Rockets had been to the finals in 1980? Why not your Bulls?

Please either respect the REASON this bbs exists, or just quit with the counter attacks that make no sense.

Stop defending Yao - you've no reason to... we LIKE him! Get over the conspiracy.

No one under appreciates him... except maybe YOU! You don't get who he's following here... much less in the NBA!

The fact that he's under so much scrutiny is HONOR in itself?

You see anyone making so much of a big deal out of other non-US born players? Not really? Why is that?

Because they are not as good.

We are just trying to say that as good as Yao is... he's not YET -I said "YET" because I believe he can and will be - as good as players that have already come and gone, or are already in the league.

When/if that day comes... we will give him his FULL proper due!

Okay?

You can whine and scream and say all you want that Dream was not as good, or that Yao is better than everyone is giving him credit for... but it will not change the fact -as much as it is hard for me to say, because he is on MY FAVORITE TEAM IN THE WHOLE WORLD OF SPORTS - the fact is

YAO has not done SQUAT yet to PROVE his worthiness of all the hype.

If that is cold, then so be it.

It was said of Dream before 1994.

Shoot, it was said of Jordan pre-championship too.

Last I checked,
    WE are STILL pre-Yao championship - NBA or otherwise.

I appreciate him for what he is.

He is = a very good to above average center that has sniffed the playoffs, and has shown that he can play through pain and adversity.

I appreciate that.

But I cannot, I WILL NOT, nor do I expect any other Rockets, or NBA fan to appreciate him for more until he puts a banner in some arena's rafters.

And I do hope it is in the Toyota Center's rafters when all is said and done.

I think YAO can, and WILL, WIN it ALL some day.

Happy?

11. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

dude, i was trying to explain some Chinese words to some r****d. That was an assumption, or at most, some event that looks like seemingly ROX dumped Dream when he got old. In fact, as I said, maybe it was Dream who dumped Rox.

Save your evil or money stuff. I never mentioned that.
    ROx is a classy club, and every NBA club is classy. We all know it. You don't have to pretend ROX is better or different.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You can't tell on this board cause sometimes the most obnoxious people are the loudest. (Myself included ;) ) But just go to a Rockets game, the fans love him. I would say the only player who got more cheers recently was Stevie. But that died down and Yao went back to a fan favorite way ahead of Tracy. People love Carl's hustle and Brooks for a while but Yao is a constant fan favorite. And I'll tell you why... They know Yao leaves it on the court every game. So while it may seem Yao is underappreciated on this board. If you could hear the fans scream for him in a sometimes otherwise quiet arena, you would know he is appreciated here. Yao knows it. That's why he has no desire to leave this city even though he isn't crazy about America.

13. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

There are more all stars than players like Horry, Cassell, and Kenny. Dream didn't make it in 1993. That's all about it.

14. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

You don't get it. I don't care if Yao wins any title at all. You are assuming many things that are only in your imagination.

15. IROC it

Answer my questions.

Why, if Jordan was better, didn't he make it in his second season? Like Dream did?

How many all-stars were on Dream's team in 1994?

Compared to Jordan's team in 1995?

Yet in 1995 (Clyde or not) Jordan did not make it to the finals.

Where was Jordan in '86 again?

At home, just like 1995.

Nice try.

16. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Jordan is better than Dream. No need to argue about that.
    Dream is great. He is not better than Jordan in basketball achievements.
    You are a r****d if you think only all stars can win a champion. Pistons in 2004 is a good example.
    Again, it is a pity that Dream didn't win the ring in 1993 when Jordan was playing.

17. roberta11

roberta11 Member

As a Chinese fan, I actually appreciate the appreciation and support that Houston fans give to Yao.

18. IROC it

Oh boy. :rolleyes: Here we go.

I'd be glad to...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=142418

19. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

well, they would ask you if you are pure, a pure ROX fan.

20. ikarus

ikarus Rookie