1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Ming underappreciated as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

From his biography, he didn't believe he could qualify for NBA until he saw some team drafted (in a high pick) Chandler he abused as will. I guess that's when he got his confidence. Nobody expected him to a starter, not mentioning a franchise player. He gives 100 percent to be his best and let the effort bring his talent wherever he deserves. I guess that's the most important reason why so many people like him. It is not about basketball. Some stars have nothing but basketball.

2. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Again, I didn't say what you said I said.
    I am all OK with any trade. You can't keep branding me like that.

3. pli777

pli777 Member

You wanted to?

Morey, is that you..

4. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

People could say yao was a cash cow before. It was legitimate to say that in 2002.
    If somebody still thinks yao is nothing but a cash cow, it is moronic to do that.

5. Yao 4 ever

Yao 4 ever Member

yes,I believe Yao will be dumped by Rox,it will happen one day.
    there is a old proverb from China:狡兔死,走狗烹;飞鸟尽,良弓藏。
    you guys know what's the meaning???

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Please advise... or interpret for us. I'd love to know. :)

I'm sure there's more to it than a rabbit dying and a running dog boiling... and Tibet being good.

7. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Rox used the Dream to get two rings and dumped him when he got old. something like that.

By the way, the truth is unknown; maybe it is dream who dumped ROX.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

If I read the initial question correctly - "is Yao underappreciated", I think the answer is no, he's not underappreciated. Alot of you new Rocket fans or **** have to realize who his predecessors were. Yao may be the best player to ever come out of China, but he's not even in the top 5 players to wear a Rockets uniform - Dream, Clyde, Moses, Elvin, Calvin, Tracy, Charles. The expectations are high, so if you **** can't take it PLEASE quit posting.

Two other quick points, 1. Yao hasn't single handedly brought this team into contention...I give the role players as much (if not more credit) than I do Yao for that. 2. Don't you think part of Yao's decision to stay in Houston and not go to LA or NY was a little bit of self preservation? He would have been RAKED OVER THE COALS in those two markets for his non-agressive play. Houston's a pretty easy market to play in for a lot of reasons and the easy going press is certainly one of them. I guess there was a certain amount of "loyalty" to Yao sticking around, but the same could be said of Les showing "loyalty" by not trading the one asset he has that would have brought back equal value. Sure, he would have lost some money if he traded Yao, but not that much if that trade had been for Kobe at the beginning of the season.

9. IROC it

Shhhhh... You sound like a true Rockets team fan. You'll give it away.

:D

10. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

If Yao was scared of playing in LA/NY, he wouldn't have come to play NBA. Playing NBA would be more scary for him.

People think Yao did ROX a favor by staying in Houston.

Name me a center who has single-handedly brought ROX(or any team) to anywhere.

11. studogg

Is that a joke? Are you really asking that question? How do you think the Rox got 2 championship banners?

12. studogg

By the way, I didn't say he was scared, I said his decision may have had a percentage of self preservation to it. The Yao camp is so sensitive to the "soft" label. You couldn't have lived with him being in LA or NY.

13. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

I thought there were quite a few key players in that team. by the way, Jordan was retired at that time. Clyde is in your top 5 list.

Shaq did it with Kobe and Wade. Shaq wouldn't do it with an injured "penny".

14. IROC it

Ignorance is bliss... and very defensive it seems.

15. Yao 4 ever

Yao 4 ever Member

it looks like you have a little Chinese foundation,huh? ;)
    is really hard to translate it and the mainly meaning is when someone have done his job and he will be discarded(or abandoned?)by his boss(or owner).

Cruel reality,isn't it?

16. rfila

rfila Member

One thing I know, those do underappreciate Yao do not think they underappreciate Yao. I think this reply shows is that with the way it interpret "loyalty".

BTW, Houston's press easy going or indifferent aside, quite number of the "true Rockets fans" are difinitely not. Some of them I would choose the word "cold-blooded" to describe as I have seen plenty of that type of posts here.

17. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

It is you people sensitive to this "soft" label. Yao and his team don't give a crap about it. Isn't Yao still doing layup? Yao and his team were grateful to ROX and showed their appreciation. They are the great people you can't understand.

18. IROC it

By the way... you're officially now an idiot.

Jordan was beaten by the Magic in 1995 playoffs, the self-same year the Rockets with Hakeem SWEPT them in 4 games.

And the Rockets OBLITERATED the Bulls during the "Jordan vs. Dream" years.

Check my signature. :eek:

19. IROC it

Thanks...

ANd yes, it's a cruel reality.

Maybe ikarus can read this and understand that no one here is being cold or abusive to Yao.

It's just life.

20. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

defensive of what?
    I don't give a crap about Yao's legacy on this team.
    I just wonder if Shaq could win it all without Kobe or Wade.