1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Ming underappreciated as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Feb 28, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

The one you emit by going into every thread you participate in and act like you are the only one who cares about Yao.

Are you Yao's Only Fan?

I don't think so.

And you seem to miss the point of people suggesting tades.

If you are a Rockets fan, you can see past the Yao era... Just as we all could see past the Dream era... or the Stevie era (part one, or two).

Whether injury-caused or trade (because of fragility) Yao's era as a Rocket will eventually end.

This doesn't make us calloused or hateful toward Yao. I believe every Rockets fan would rather 100% of the roster be 100% healthy for the entire season, including the playoffs - including Yao.

I doubt that anyone discussing a trade, that may be a good business decision and in the best interests of the team's future, is truly anti-Yao as a person.

We all hope he heals up and rings a trophy to Houston again... I wouldn't even mind him beating the USA in the olympics and getting the golf for/with China... but I still know that his era with the Rockets will end some day.

There is no "ikarus vs. the world-that-hates-Yao" going on.

You just come of as an "only." If you catch my meaning.

We'll live.

Yao or not we will cheer on the Rockets... some of us will, if only because of the years of past glory... "we" meaning the Rockets fans... Fans of the whole team, the city of Houston's NBA franchise... not only player or era.

Sorry if we misread your meaning... but you seem to be defensive of Yao only.

2. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

paranoid

3. IROC it

Which is the culture of their fanhood when their star player plays meaningless games every summer.

I'm sorry but the world watched the NBA, and hardly any other league as a whole.

Outside of actual olympic or FIBA games, the NBA gets the most attention - and maybe more than those others.

And if not... then why are players from around the world clamoring to become NBA players?

Many people still don't get that point. If the NBA is secondary to him, why did Yao want to be a part of it so badly? He could have easily never agreed to come to the NBA. Why try and win an NBA trophy?

Because it's the world's biggest stage for basketball, save only the Olympic gold medal game.

4. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

First, I didn't say a lot of things you just mentioned.
    Second, I want the team Yao plays for to win all the games. Does that make me a yao only fan? You make your decision. I don't care.
    I am defensive of Yao a lot, almost only, as you said. Is there any problem with that? I never said trading Yao would be an insult to him or something like that.

5. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

it's business. evil comes from lust for money

6. IROC it

I think the bigger question at this point should be:

"Is the NBA's importance to Yao underappreciated by the majority of his fans?"

7. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

or the question Is your importance to Yao underappreciated ?

8. choujie

choujie Member

If Yao doesn't play for CNT, he'll lost tons of support in China, Les in turn will lose tons of money.

9. ekim

ekim Member

The lack of playoff success.

10. IROC it

And honor comes from not understanding business?

And business, the sound practice of it, equals a lust for money? Or evil?

Sad views then.

11. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

wake up. players play for themselves first and make money from us.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

first of all, people bashing the CNT is kinda crazy because ya know what, Yao manages that pretty well. There would be no Yao Ming without the CNT.

And the NBA is incredibly important to Yao and the CNT or China would have never let him come here. They understand that Yao has to play on the world's stage.

And Yao is incredibly important to the Rockets and definitely the NBA - he's a huge part of the long-term plan and one of the great ambassadors to showing the sport isn't just Blacks and Whites.

Finally, anyone who thinks we are better without Yao is just dumb and doesn't understand basketball.

13. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

They are so-called yao fans who care least about ROX.
    Yao never takes NBA secondary to his CNT team. Only fans are speculating which one means more to him. You always long for something you can't get. Yao is greedy. He wants both and has been doing too much. That's why he gets injured.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/32/biz_07nba_NBA-Team-Valuations_Value.html

according to the most recent #s by forbes, houston is worth $462 mil, 5th most in the L.

the top 3 teams u might want to know are the knicks ($608 mil), lakers ($560 mil), bulls ($500 mil).

lebron brough the cavs up to $455 mil from around $150 when he first came to the team.

if yao helps this team win the NBA championship, it will help houston get more national TV appearances -> more notoriety in america AND the world (b/c the finals is played worldwide) -> more sellouts at the TC -> more playoff games - more money -> more merchandise sold.

u can still make money here IF you win big and be borderline dynasty. look at the heat -> up to $418 mil.

carlisle said 2 days ago on ESPN that one single playoff game gives a team around $1.5-2 mil of profit. now imagine if we go DEEP all the way to the finals and say we get around 2 games per round -> around 8-10 games -> around $15-20 mil in profit just form the playoffs.

now with winning -> u can raise ticket prices AND STILL get sellouts -> more money (lakers and knicks, esp. the knicks, make most of their profits from ridiculous ticket prices).

yes yao does bring a lot from china. but if houston wins big, u can make a lot of money in the states also.

15. cyjtsj

cyjtsj Member

原来姚明在你眼里如此不堪。。。。。。。。。。。。

16. IROC it

My importance to Yao?

Yao knows nothing of me personally. I bought a Yao hat. I've purchased tickets to see him play in person... But I'm sure that's of no importance to him.

I'm sure that all the tickets sales added up are very important to him, or should I say his BUSINESS managers (oh snap!)... and the PRC for that matter.

And I'm sure in your thoughts that may be evil since it involves money and business.

So then, by your logic, that makes Yao and his entourage/handlers/business advisers evil.

See how it works?

You cannot deny that the people around Yao have money as their interests... or again... Why would he need to come to the NBA? As a hobby, or side-job?

We all know how much he's making back home from the Shanghai Sharks.

Millions, I'm sure.

17. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Yao makes more money here. I guess he himself never thought he would be at this stage of fame and importance. Nobody knows why he wanted to play in NBA.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you wanted to find out how good you really were, wouldn't you want to play against the best?

19. IROC it

Bingo.

But the disconnect is that people like ikarus think others (stateside) don't want to see Yao succeed as a Rocket because we understand why some suggest trades.

I never said I wanted one... but it is, after all, an EVIL business... :eek:

20. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

you better ask alexander why, he selected yao. was it not about business? i mean he was a rookie like me in here. why they wanted him and built the team around him. why tmac came here for a softie? two softies attracted each other?