1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao Ming underappreciated as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

I would call any team only 3 games behind top one in any conference a contender. That's arguable, but your club in 2002 was really miserable.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so you're not a rockets fan? keep it movin' please.

3. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Yao is not overappreciated, but Yao's value to the Houston Rockets when it comes to being successfull is overrated. He's our cash cow, but we can win without him.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My club? I thought this was everyone's club here. I guess it's only your club when Yao's here? I see, that's nice.

They've won 13 games in a row against a really mediocre schedule to get to 3 games behind the 1st seed. Let's give context to your contender status there.

5. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Come on! That was a weak argument!

First off, this is the first "real" injury to Yao in terms of his body breaking down on him.

Last year, it was a freak accident that could happen to ANY player in the NBA. A guy rolled into his league and pushed it in the wrong direction. That is out of Yao's control. He could have never played for the CNT and that injury still would have happened.

And the injury before that (toe infection) was also just a weird injury.

So please don't become a media Homer and talk about Yao's injuries! His prior injuries were all just random and weird.

6. onssoo

onssoo Member

Your sig says it all. Now I know you REALLY want CHANGE"

7. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

I want Rox to win all the games. Does that make me a rox fan, your honor?

8. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

CALLING CLUTCH!!! CALLING CLUTCH!!!

Time to lock this thread up before is becomes the WWII of **** vs. YOHs! :D

The first shots have already been fired! :eek:

9. liberty

liberty Member

Because they always think NBA champion is world champion(that's 99% true), and there is no other country in the world except America from their eyes.(that's ?% true)

10. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

If Rox wasn't a contender before yao's injury, I guess it doesn't hurt that much to see Yao injured. People should be as happy as they were.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Call it what you want. He now has a history of injuries, "freak" and "real" both. All that counts in the end of the day are the games he misses and our team performance with and without him.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Kid Icarus' wings are melting away...

Tell you what, ikarus... Since Yao is temporarily off the team due to injury, you can feel free (as possible) to go root for the Bucks now.

They can be "your club" from now until Yao returns. He won't miss his only fan.

13. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Yao hasn't got chronic injuries yet. All of his previous injuries haven't happened to him again. However, this one is going to be dangerous. It could become chronic.

14. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Why should I root for Bucks? Yao isn't playing over there.

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Fixed.

Get over the conspiracy theories, dude.

16. CometsWin

That would make sense except that there's a huge difference between winning a playoff series and being a championship contender. I would dare say not many teams, if any, have gone from the lottery to winning the NBA title in one season. Yao and TMac both needs playoff experience and they're obviously not going to be getting too much of it this season.

17. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

What conspiracy theory?
    Some rox fans like Yao and some don't. Is that a conspiracy?

18. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

As a Rockets fan, I like Yao. I think he's a great guy. He's great for the city and he brings attention and money to the team. But from a basketball standpoint, I believe that we are better without him. I may be delusional, but I really do believe that. Defense, rebounds, turnovers & endurance are now in our favor with Yao Ming out of the lineup. I'm very very excited to see how this plays out. I believe the Rockets will make the Western Conference Finals at minimum.

19. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Let's see. No 7 seed will take on No 2 seed. Beating No 2 in the first round and loosing the second round to No 3/6 seed would make you satisfied? Or they just need another first round exit to get playoff experience? I thought both of them got tons of that first round experience.

20. CometsWin

Some Rox fans think winning is the measure by which star players are judged and some Rox fans are happy with the 20 points, 10 boards, and the post game sound bytes.