1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is working at a job you hate really worth your time??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aries323, Oct 24, 2005.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

2. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

The answer is a resounding NO. If you have any kind of degree there are many other jobs in Houston you can find, this is not this case elswhere in the country. You spend more time with these people than you do your family, if you do not at least modertaly enjoy working there then you need to find another job. Get outta there

3. yobod

yobod Member

I'm worried about the "job hopper" stigma on my resume. But I feel like nowadays employers shouldn't expect as much loyalty as much as they used to. It's not like there are many companies out there offering robust pension plans and incentives to stay for 20-30 years like they did in the past.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

My philosophy is this, unless it's paying you enough where you can retire early- find a new job if you don't like your current one.

5. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

I had the same problem. I think you just need to relax a little and try to get along with your co-workers. Spend some time together out of work and build a good relationship with them. Because once you start liking the people you work with, you will enjoy going to work more regardless of how stressful it is. My co-workers and I joke all day long while working, we talk smack back and forth, go to lunch together, share stories, etc. Hope all is well for you.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As bad as your job is, having fixed costs and debts beyond your cash flow is infinitely worse. Pretty sure night/grad school and online resumes were created for this reason. You could also get into charitable, community or trade organizations and network like a mother, the real point is to find something to do and/or look forward to.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

A bump for a response to a post from 2005?

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm trying to convince my wife that it's time for her to move on from her job. She recently got passed over by a person under her for a promotion. That person, who has resisted any promotions for over 10 years finally changed her mind. In the meantime, my wife has been a leader, innovator, cheerleader, loyal....everything one could do to get ahead. She's made it clear to her superiors numerous times that she would like to be promoted to the "senior" level of her position. What do they do? They promote someone they had to coax into it. In my wife's 5 years there, she's gotten no more than a 2% raise at any time and hasn't gotten one in 2 years. It's a non-profit, so the salaries are typically lower than the going market rate...but her's is grossly lower. Yet, she is still torn about leaving. I've told her over and over that loyalty has to go both ways. It's clear that they are not going to be loyal to her for all that she's done for them. Why should she remain the same to them?

The only real benefit to her continuing there is that they have on-site daycare in which our 2-yr old attends. That's huge for her to be able to go down there during the day and see our son. I just don't know if it's worth it any more for her to come home miserable every day because she's now training the person they promoted over her.

1 person likes this.
  9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This sounds exactly like my wife in her last position. Eerily similar actually.

It took a long time (and some luck) to convince her. Now she makes more, has more career potential, and feels like there is some reason for her effort.

Keep working at it, leroy. It's for a good cause.

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

nostrariley?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its like beaten housewife syndrome -- can't leave a cruel husband... expect in these instances its with a bad employer. I see it all of the time.

12. Fun Boy

Fun Boy Member

I know!

I work in IT and someone calls the Help Desk and their like "I need to reset my Novell password."

We haven't used Novell since like 2006... WTF, Brah?

Can't stand it!

13. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Wow, that would seem hard to give up.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think you just answered your own question. She probably figures getting to see your kid during the day trumps all that other nonsense. Can't say I blame her there. Seeing my boys smile at me when I get home every day makes any work-related stress instantly disappear.

Work to live, don't live to work. Priorities FTW.

15. yobod

yobod Member

We had a ticket submitted today, someone asked to be downgraded to Windows 7. Downgraded from what? Is your operating system from the future?

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I don't think that stigma is there much anymore, unless you're jumping every 6-12 months. Some old school guys might look at it that way but most likely your manager has been at that company less than 5 years.

17. ds888

ds888 Contributing Member

If you're unhappy, look for another job. But since you're a financial consultant, the jobs that you'll look for are probably going to be similar to what you have currently. There's no guarantee that a new job is better than your current job. A new environment may be what you need, but that wears off eventually.

Also, do you need to work so hard at your job? You could probably make it less stressful and still do okay. You get a diminishing return when it comes to trying to achieve perfection. Read about Pareto's Law in the 4-Hour Work Week. Actually, just read the whole book.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I wonder where the OP is right now.

19. arjun

arjun Member

Till you find something else...do NOT quit

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

And shoot hilarious skits on Youtube together.