1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Willson Contreras Worth Giving up the 2nd Round Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, Dec 1, 2022.

?

Is Willson Contreras Worth Giving up the 2nd Round Pick?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. Jeremy Williams

The only difference i have is Dubon over Leon to start the season and Brantley over Meyers; honestly I would love for either Meyers or Leon to eventually take Dubon’s spot.

eliefor3 likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just cannot comprehend valuing DUBON with his lack of options as a better bench player than Leon who has the same IF/OF capabilities with far higher upside. Meyers is an Astro who has shown upside before his injury. For whatever reason, last season was a disaster for his reputation. But I hate to give up on him because he is not recovering from an injury as quickly as hoped. The only reason I left off Brantley is because he is a Free Agent with uncertainty about his recovery time. If he was under contract like Meyers, he would definitely be my choice as DH. (I like Yordan better than Brantley in LF now)

And I edited Lee/Diaz to C3 after realizing Contreras was C2, even as he plays DH. I'm torn between the two as I like Diaz as a PH and Lee as a C.

#82 Marshall Bryant, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  3. Jeremy Williams

Yeah, I think it makes sense to have Lee on the roster as C3 this year him to prepare him to tandem with Contreres in 2024. Diaz will probably be used as an injury replacement this year.

Contreras is a better hitter than he is a catcher. I think it would be a wise to envision Lee as C1 and Contreras C2 starting in 2024.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sorry - simple math error. Hensley should be 10g at 1b not 20.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. Jeremy Williams

If we can sign Contreras, there are only a few decisions to make:

1. 2B R Altuve
    2. SS R Pena
    3. LF L Alvarez
    4. 3B R Bregman
    5. RF L Tucker
    6. 1B R "Abreu" Special Game
    7. DH R Contreras OR BRANTLEY
    8. CF R McCormick OR OF UPGRADE
    9. C R Maldonado

Opening day Bench
    LF/DH/C Contreras OR BRANTLEY
    C3 Lee/Diaz
    IF Hensley
    OF Meyers OR DUBON OR CHAS

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. raining threes

If healthy, I will bet you Hensley plays more than 76 games.

7. raining threes

That's not what Bagwell said in the Abreu presser.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  8. raining threes

Which is sad.

I mean, the man caught the 2nd no hitter in WS history and is a .280 hitting catcher.

#88 raining threes, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve convinced myself Contreras is the right move given those dynamics. Productivity out of the catcher spot is very difficult. If Contreras is willing to commit to a transition plan like this, it says a lot — and sets up the Astros well to play out this window.

I just hope the Rangers didn’t ruin the off-season economics

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This makes sense for 2023, but doesn't this mean the Astros also have to find a 2nd catcher who can play 40-70 games in 2024 who can also do the defensive things that Maldy does?

I'm guessing there are no better options when considering both offense and defense, but would it be more cost effective to just find a defensive stud at catcher who can play 130-140 games even he isn't an offensive threat?

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This makes Contreras an even better match with both buying into a smaller workload making them more productive overall. But it does make carrying a third catcher a higher priority so Contreras can be used to DH when he doesn't start at C. I liked Vasquez, but he appears to want 150 games behind the plate.

Since the 3rd C is effectively an emergency C, his value for his complimentary skills would be more highly valued. So I think Y Diaz if we acquire Contreras and Lee if we don't in 2023. For 2024 without Maldy, you need both Y Diaz and Lee, whether Contreras is here or not.

#91 Marshall Bryant, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  12. Jeremy Williams

The Astros are fully committed to Maldanado as the primary C for 2023. They also have plans for Lee to become the next generation and i believe they hope he can take the reigns in 2024.

Adding Contreras would allow for a bat first C to tandem with Lee in 2024, it would allow Contreras to play more games not catching (in order to keep his bat in the lineup), and it would lengthen our lineup for 2023.

The Astros do not want to enter the season with only rookies to back up 36 year old Maldy.

cmlmel77 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Contreras is fine defensively, he isn’t a bad defensive catcher. He is physically very gifted behind the plate. He hasn’t been a great game caller or preparer. That’s what they want him to work on with Maldy.

Yes, the Astros will have to have a second catcher in 2024 that can catch 60-80 games but they needed that last year anyway, because Maldy missed like 50-60 games.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I guess the reason for my impatience was getting the wrong dates for the Winter Meetings. I thought it was Friday to Monday and we were already into day 3 instead of starting tomorrow.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Signing Contreas gives the team an impact bat from a traditional and league wide weaker hitting position.

This, theoretically, would open up a roster spot for another player like Brantley, or Yuli who may be challenged or limited enough defensively to require an additional back up utility player.

However, this would also mean the team should have a 3rd catcher on the roster to allow Contreras to DH without risk of losing the DH if Maldy has to leave the game.

However this simply reduces the advantage back to even so its no big deal.

Or the Astros just may think the risk and possibility of losing the DH for part of a single game of a regular season may be worth it.

Either way, if Contreras/Lee is the plan for catching in 2024 Korey and the Astros would benefit from him working extensively with Maldy in 2023.

Unless they expect and know Maldy with keep a coaching/advisory role with the team in 2024.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am still holding out hope that JV signs.

I know its unlikely but we don't really know how much of the "news" we hear is just made up by agents trying to raise the market and prices.

I know its a Long shot, especially after the DeGrom deal and other deals so far.

If he does return, then a trade with Garcia or Urquidy as the headliner for a lefty bat like Varsho or another Ariz OF ( preferred) or Reynolds makes all the sense in the world.

If JV does not return then I hope none of the starters or top 5 relief pitchers are traded.

I have heard that Enoli Paredes is unhappy and wants a fresh start away from the Astros organization ( can anyone confirm or add?). If this is true then Garcia/Urquidy and Paredes along with some other pitchers in the system who worked with Strom may be attractive to them.

17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Have you mentioned this before? If not, I've heard someone else say this as well. Maybe it was Nook.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Yes I mentioned it before but nobody responded so I thought anyone with knowledge missed my post

I heard it from Kenny Van Doren on a podcast.

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Going to the Cardinals

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Welp. He is a cardinal now. 87.5 mil