1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Willson Contreras Worth Giving up the 2nd Round Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, Dec 1, 2022.

?

Is Willson Contreras Worth Giving up the 2nd Round Pick?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. HTown2017Champs

Question says it all. Astros have not signed a FA who received a QO under Crane. The Astros have had less draft capital recently than other teams. Discuss.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Nope. He doesn’t deserve taking up $$ for Altuve, Bregman, Tucker or Valdez either and butchering the lineup.

Great hitter (as a catcher, sure) but he will make the pitching staff substantially worse and he’s an average hitter as a position player and we could get the same production from someone not projected at 21 mil AAV.

It’s potental signings like this that shorten dynasties.

KelvinCato13 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I voted yes

But that basically is " not automatically NO"

Draft picks are just that

Would you give up Grae Kessinger for him?

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

At the right price, absolutely

6. HTown2017Champs

Fair enough to point out that Luhnow was terrible at drafting in the 2nd round (or maybe just cursed). He's not the GM anymore.
    If this was a deadline trade for a rental, sure.

But of course, a prospect who is good in college or HS, and then has a good half year can also be trade fodder. In a vacuum it's easier to say "Yes he is worth giving up the pick" but when it's a potential FA signing who can preclude other moves (extensions, different signings) ad there's better defenders who'd demand a similar amount, that's a no for me. Don't want a weak defender in LF, and he likely wouldn't catch more than 40% of the games.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Let's see, his .815 OPS would have been 4th on the team, just ahead of Tucker

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes again

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

With tha quickness!

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Scale 1-10

Rank Maldy and Willson's Defense / Handling of a pitching staff

Machete seems 8 / 9

Sanchez seemed 2 / 5

Realmuto seemed 8 / 7

Other posters also mentioned Contreras could affect the future signings of Altuve, Tucker, Valdez, etc

10. HTown2017Champs

That too. Also, I know Maldy is getting up in age, but I think a 9 is too low when it comes to what he means for the pitching staff, and handling games. Ideally we have him for 80-95 games one last year before he likely calls it a career (as a player). What the pitching staff did last year was so phenomenal we will probably never see those numbers replicated in our lifetime (not just the Astros - ANY team), but in our quest to run it back I want as much continuity.

Major likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

They'd be just fine next year as a tandem

Nook and raining threes like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As long as the plan is for him to catch a lot in October I'm OK with it. The offensive upgrade would be huge.

If we're paying him that much just to start a quarter of our games I'm less OK with the signing. His career OPS is much better in the first half, perhaps having him catch part time for most of the season will allow him to carry those numbers throughout.

The 2nd round pick means very little to me in the grand scheme compared to the monetary investment, which would be the real risk.

Marteen, Madmanmetz and Kim like this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You’ve got 2-3 years before really hard decisions have to made. Currently you’re in a great spot across the roster and can afford some big $ shorter duration deals as we’ve seen handed out. Crane is absolutely doing the right thing going all in post WS win to bolster the lineup. Winning another 1 or 2 cements this dynasty as one of the greatest ever in the history of MLB. That opportunity isn’t worth a 2nd round pick?

I fully expect Contreras to be signed and one of Conforto, Bellinger or Brantley too.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not a Benintendi fan?

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

sounded like the plan is mainly LF, and spot starts at C.

16. Yordan The Great

Benintendi all day long. Sign him to just 3 years and $45 million tops (most likely less). You get a solid bat and an outstanding defender in LF. And you don't give up a draft pick.

Or this could get into a bidding war in which we sign Contreras to 4 years $85 million. Now no one here in their right mind thinks that's an outstanding deal. Y'all speak of Contreras like he's Yordan Alvarez at the plate. I don't know where that's coming from. He's a really good hitting productive CATCHER. That's it.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am under the impression it is more

50-60g catcher
    50-60 DH
    25-30 LF

I am liking it more and more.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

God yes. How is this even a question? It’s so bizarre to me.
    You are talking about giving up a pick one what- the 70’s or 80’s by the time all the comp
    picks are made? Go back and look at any redraft 5 or 10 years later. There’s typically 2 or 3 allstars 10 or 15 other good players, 10 guys you might sort of remember if they didn’t play for your team and after you get past 35 or so
    Players guys that had, at most, a cup of coffee.
    There’s 20 rounds in the draft. If you are getting serious value out of a player beyond about the 15th pick it’s a crap shoot and you could just as easily get that player in round 17 as round 2.
    There is almost nothing more overvalued by baseball fans on the internet than losing the draft pick for signing a kick ass FA. 110 times out of 100 you do it. the imputed value of that pick is just not important.

Rock Block, Nook, 13 in 33 and 2 others like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Benni is getting 4/65 from someone I bet.

astros123 likes this.
  20. cardpire

cardpire Member

i like it too for sure. seems like if you sign him, you almost have to sign brantley for value and hope for the best.

end result of all this would be chas mccormick being the world's luckiest baseball player lol.