1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IS Vick a Top 10 QB yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Daniel, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Daniel

Daniel Member

I'm a huge Falcons fan, and Vick is just awesome. Better than everyone thought, only QB to throw ZERO interceptions this year...... blah blah blah

But do non-Falcons fans think he's as good as I think he is? He's doing all this with receivers who couldn't even cut it as NCAA starters. Just wait til they give him a guy like Charles Rogers or Roy Williams.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically, this is the wrong forum since this forum is reserved for non-Rocket Houston sports.

And to answer your question, I do think he is a top 10 QB already. I remember seeing his highlights in a recent game, and I was absolutely blown away by how fast the guy was.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No doubt about it. It's debatable on whether he's a top 10 passing quarterback, but I don't think there's any debate when you combine his speed and ability to make plays. He should be somewhere in the top 10.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont know about that. He is THE most exciting player to watch. However, as a quarterback, he fails to get the ball in the endzone. He has 4 TD passes (tied for 30th in the NFL). I dont care who his receivers are, but those numbers have to go up. His running ability is incredible, but may eventually wear him down and cause him to slow down later on. If I had to start a franchise, he would be on top of that list, but as of now, I think he may be a top 10 QB, but its no guarentee.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Check his rushing TD's.

A lot of his rushing TD's have been on plays that would be passing TD's for every other quarterback, but when you have his speed, why take the risk? Just take it yourself, if you can, and with his speed he usually can.

6. rezdawg

Even with his rushing TD's (4), he still has a lot less TD's than other QB's.

I calculated his averages (taking out the one game he was injured):
    He averages 178 passing yards a game and 73 rushing yards a game.

The rushing is a great quality of his, but even when you combine that with his passing, thats just not great production. He is a sweet player, no doubt, but there are many QB's that can gain more yards and put the ball in the endzone many more times. Eventually, he will develop that, but as of now, im hardpressed to say he is a top 10 QB. Just dont let your love of watching him play interfere with reality, cuz he is phat ass player.

#6 rezdawg, Oct 29, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

ok. Now he has impressed me. He's on fire right now. Looks like he is here to stay.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt any QB gets more yds per play than Vick. His team isn't good at getting a lot of offensive plays...thats a team fault.

9. rezdawg

Atlanta has the 16th best offense in the NFL. There are about 10 QB's on teams with a worse offense that have produced more than Vick.

10. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

McNabb is the best all-around QB. He has a great arm, and is on pace of running for 800 yeads this season. He had 100+ yards vs the Giants.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another thing to take into account with Vick is that he has yet to throw an interception. He takes care of the ball, and with a team that is just on the cusp of being very good, that is a tremendous skill to have. With his playmaking skills, if he can avoid stupid mistakes...the sky is the limit.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Easily a top 10 QB. There are too many bad QBs for him not to be top 10.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would say he's in the top 5.

That being said, I still think McNabb will be the second Black Quarter-Back to win a championship in the NFL.

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Vick is flat out awesome. Give him a few years and he could be the #1 All Around QB in the NFL.

15. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

I think he's definitely top 10. His lack of receivers really has hurt him and Dunn wasn't doing anything on the ground until last week. Look at that one play against Green Bay where he ran around and then chucked the ball like 70 yards downfield and hit his man in stride only to have it dropped. That's 70-odd yards off his passing total for the day and a likely touchdown as the guy was behind the defense. The stats will come as he gets more talent around him and for now he is carrying that team.

16. mduke

mduke Member

Are you sure you don't just like him because he's Aaron Brooks' cousin?;)