1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Tilman really THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’m no Tilman fan, but isn’t the outrage towards him way overblown? He kept the core of that 2018 team together. CP3 got paid. Gordon got paid. Capela got paid. He paid to keep the core intact.

So genuinely asking: what am I missing here? Is it because we didn’t bring back Ariza? If people are upset about that, that’s pure hindsight — because I don’t recall any other Rockets fan at the time crying about losing Ariza after coming off an 0-12 performance in Game 7. To a $15M contract at that.

Is it because we didn’t bring back Luc? Luc’s shoulder was done after that playoff run and was never the same again. I don’t even think he played the following year. Where is he today?

Where most people think Tilman went wrong is replacing Ariza/Luc/Ryno with Ennis/MCW/Melo. The thinking there was Ennis/MCW/Melo can do what Ariza/Luc/Ryno did at half the price. It backfired. But I place that burden more on Morey and the team building/scouting department. The model of finding cheaper role players at half the price doesn’t mean you’re cheap — it’s spending your money wisely. It’s actually a smart strategy. All we needed was better decision making in terms of scouting, because when you look today at how much depth we have (House, Tate, Nwaba, and Brown), it’s obvious the model of finding cheaper role players works vs paying reputable players like Ariza $15M.

When it comes to paying the tax, Tilman was going to pay the tax when we offered MIN 4 first rounders for Jimmy Butler. He was going to pay the tax when we had a deal in place for Jamychal Green and Garrett Temple, but MEM backed out last minute. He’s paying it this year. How many times did Les pay the tax?

Lastly, the Westbrook trade. This is without a doubt where the Tilman hate is justified. I didn’t have an issue with the Russ/CP3 swap at the time with how bad CP3 looked that year. Getting the younger star extended our window. But the actual trade with picks and swaps was franchise suicide almost. Tilman rushing the trade through is why our future looks the way that it does after 2023.

So other than the Westbrook trade, which was also just as much Harden’s fault, what else am I missing? Seems the hate for him was well before the Russ trade too.

I’m willing to jump on the Tilman-hate train if convince otherwise, but from a *basketball standpoint* (politics aside), the hate is overblown IMO. Especially with how well the hirings of Stone and Silas look at the moment.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

At least he's not Sarver.

Nook likes this.
  3. photojoe

photojoe Member

I didn't read your post.

But yes. He is that bad.

ico4498, clos4life, cbs1507 and 27 others like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The WORST. Bad person, bad owner, bad food, bad haircut, bad TV show. BAD. Bad college, lulz!

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, he has been that bad. He has paid the stars, but he forced Morey to cut a ton of corners on the supporting cast in an effort to stay under the tax. No one move was terrible, it's the accumulation.

Morey had to waste a ton of good assets just to make salary disappear. Assets that could have easily been compiled into a 3rd star.

Then the Westbrook disaster, which was a Tilman forced catastrophe.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ferntits Broke AF.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

We didnt even need Jimmy Butler to beat GS that year. Just marginal upgrades. Yes, MEM backed out that deal but that deal was lost because TIllman was hesitant to spend and he wait too long so Memphis backed out. Do you really think Shumpert for a first round pick at the deadline was a Morey move...of course it wasnt.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ib4 Tilman only fans chime in

kjayp and vator like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I admittedly didn't read a word outside of the thread title but yes. Yes he is

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tilman is telling people to create accounts on CF to defend his honor...never seen this poster before today

cbs1507, Deuce, pugsly8422 and 16 others like this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I agree on Trevor Ariza he performed badly against GSW 0-12 FG 0-9 Threes.

Trevor Ariza after he left for a bigger contract for Phoenix, James Jones was the GM, LeBron James Teammate with Miami. LeBron wanted the Rockets to breakup with Trevor Ariza also.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Do you really think More, one of the most aggressive GMs in the league and a risk taker would make those moves especiall one season removed from 65 win season. You also dont bet to blame Morey when its convenient. You do realize Stone worked here two years ago as well right? And House was Morey, not Stone. Nwaba was also signed when Morey was still here. Tate is a good signing but Brown is just okay. Lets also talk about wasting our assets that year to get under the tax.

Batman Jones, Nook and MettaWorldPete like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Im not having these Tillman defense threads...I am not.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. Htown's Finest

Who cares what you saw before today, like anyone gives a damn if OP has posted much on here(who died and made you the governing body on this site). It's people like you who make people not want to post here or have logical conversations. OP is asking a logical question even if you agree or disagree with his premise. But oh I forgot your short attention span makes it where you won't read anything past a paragraph (almost forgot who I was talking to). Why don't you try posting something with some substance this time or STFU...

17. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

I read your post because otherwise it would be stupid for me to comment without knowing where you are coming from.
    If Chris Paul didn't injure his hamstring, we would won the championship that year, and everything Tilman did/did not do would be seen here in a different light. I think he gets a lot of undue hate because he's the owner and ultimately the buck stops there. Also factor in some of fans here are delusional, and don't posses logic or common sense. If you don't believe me, just look at some of the thread topics...Harden for Vucevic for example.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No but he's annoying AF. Always talks about relying on his OPS team, that he doesn't micromanage, but he's facking making rounds on Fox, ESPN, and other sports media all the time. What is you doing fam? Go away. ALso, his family is annoying. Shut up and listen Ferntits!, you might be the owner but it will always be the HOUSTON ROCKETS. I don't need to see you or your stupid family plastered everywhere.

HAYJON02, JayGoogle and palmsnbananas like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Fertits is awful, if only we had a real billionaire owner like the Clippers...

HAYJON02 likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why are u stalking me? You’re so desperate for some attention from me, it’s getting weird now. I live in your head rent free as u follow me around like a lost puppy.

ryano2009 likes this.