1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this years team better than last years team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

kenny and chuck are lucky they were gifted with a basketball. they suck at everything else.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

oh nice. I hope the rockets stomp the mavs and the defense continues.

RyanB likes this.
  3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

sample size too small.

BigM likes this.
  4. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

We peaked a bit early last year and D Antoni should have sat our guys out in those last meaningless regular season games..

I like our trajectory now in that we are going to peak in the playoffs even we need to

chadyang, clutchdabear and Y2JT like this.
  5. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Defence is poor

chadyang likes this.
  6. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

we are better than last year... we added the depth that we didnt have last year. only reason we aren't rated as good defensively is because of injuries... we did not go through the same injuries last year to key players non stop.. and also James Harden is on ANOTHER level compared to last year.. he solidified himself as the BEST basketball player in the world this year.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we still need a 2way wing. D Hizzouse

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

This is very interesting. Last year’s team was special no doubt and we all know it was the rockets championship for the taking. But the league has also gotten much better this year. Thus with last year’s roster this year they probably wouldn’t compete this year. The recent acquisitions minus house make them competetive and deeper. My only concern is the 3 spot and Ariza brought that high level of defense every night filling in the 3 and D wing spot. I contend House is overall better than Ariza and more versatile. Without him the rox are imbalanced with Gordon at the 3. But still this team can gi very far.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Harden: better.
    CP: worse.
    Capela: better.
    Gordon: worse.
    Tucker: same.
    Green: same.
    Nene: worse.
    Rivers + Faried + Shumpert + Clark vs. Ariza + Luc + Anderson + Black: weaker interior defense, better perimeter defense, better ball handling, similar shooting.
    Chemistry: down.
    Defensive speed: up.
    Susceptibility to injury: up ... but in playoffs TBD.
    Intensity: down.
    Consistency: down.
    Confidence: down.
    Clutchness: TBD.
    Warriors: down.
    Rest of league: up.

So I would say: No, we're not better. And we're more at risk to teams other than the Warriors than we were last year. But even without home court, we might stand a better shot against the Warriors than we had last year. And that tradeoff might be slightly beneficial to our chances overall.

Easy likes this.
  10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

We are better than last year, after the Faried and Shumpert additions.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm saying yes for one simple reason. This years James Harden is better than last years James Harden. The Rockets are only going as far as he takes them.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

disappointed. Chiozza is the Key to a Championship Formula. you of all people should know that. Last year? no Chiozza. This year? Chiozza.

I rest my case

Williamson likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would have to say this year’s clutchfans is better than last

BamBam likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am so ashamed right now.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. pippsux

pippsux Member

Sometimes better doesn't mean best. We didn't win last year, personally I think Cp3 going down, the refs and an over reliance on 3pt shooting cost us.

This team I'm seeing now, seems hungrier, slightly angrier and playing with a chip on their shoulder.

This team can be better than last year....... By winning it all!

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

DM is amazing. For keeping the core, we have surrounded them with totally different players. Defensively last year's team seemed much stronger, especially on the wing, but once Shump gets going that advantage may wane a bit. Rivers brings a dimension we sorely needed last year--back-up PG and defensive pest. We cannot discount the difference he can make saving Paul's minutes in regular season and making life difficult for opposing PG/SG in the playoffs. Faried was ok as a Capela fill-in, but I believe he found a perfect spot in his more natural PF role. Hopefully, he comes back strong because he gives us the 2nd rim protector/finisher that we needed. His energy is also infectious and is 2nd only to PJ on the team. Shump is the wild card, if he can get in a groove these last 17 games then we'll be looking very strong headed into the playoffs. Although he doesn't have the length we had last year he gives us another solid defender who can hit the corner 3.

I hate to mention him, but House would give us a dynamic wing, who can also bring energy. Would love to have him available, but we'll see what the Basketball Gods say about that.

In the end, I actually like this team better than last year. It's very weird the metamorphosis this roster has undergone since that last game in GS. DM has literally taken the talent from Melo/MCW/Ennis to Rivers/Faried/Shump in the course of a season. He also shed the dead weight and has us ready to run.

This year started out like crap, but with Harden's run into history and the above changes we are suddenly in the hunt for the trophy. It's been truly a roller coaster kind of season, but the ride just keeps getting better.

17. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Make me, homer.

18. CALI_MOST_WANTD

No last year was better all around. From start to end. We would pretty much had the Championship locked up if it wasn't for an injury and missed shots. This year I still question the team. But they are showing some hope.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It's not a better team than last year ...but it is a better team than i gave it credit for coming into the season. What's the difference between this year and last year? I think defense, rebounding and depth. I think we've addressed the rebounding with Manimal. I think we are just gonna have to acknowledge that we lost length and defense with Luc and Ariza that we are not likely to get back. Morey has tried to improve the depth with a move here and there, but it's at least fair to question the quality of our depth. Harden's other worldly season has likely helped mask the drop off between this year's team and last year's.

I guess i'd say that we have a chance to beat Golden State (something i wouldn't acknowledge going into the season -i hated our off-season), but i wouldn't give us as good of a chance as last year.

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

idk if they are, but they pretty much have to be, because the other teams at the top got better.