1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the wake-up call we needed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Dec 21, 2013.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I was sitting here watching random NBA videos and I came up on a 1992 matchup between the Portland Trail Blazers and the Boston Celtics. The intro to this video, what I want to allude to in this post, described the egg the Blazers layed against the world champion Chicago Bulls on national television in what was said to be (and eventually was) a preview of the finals matchup that year. In the interview the Blazers described the loss as embarrassing, that sportswriters say the team self destructs and wilt in the limelight. They took that game as a wake-up call and went on a big win streak and eventually made the Finals.

I'm just wondering. We were embarrassed on National TV yesterday, we are known to blow leads and generally be inconsistent. Do you guys think this is a wake-up call for these Rockets?

2. nono

nono Member

wake up call? there are fundamental issues with the roster and the coaching that are well known for a while now. this was no wake up call. just more of the same.

3. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

You mean a wake up call for the fans for lower expectations? Because I don't think this team gives a s#it.

4. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Problem is we are constantly falling back to sleep again. Either from injuries, lack of effort, overly confident, lack of adjustment, etc.

5. roadstone

roadstone Member

Wait so did they lose to the Celtics or the Bulls really bad?

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Coaching is our main problem atm. We rarely look prepared but win based on talent.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Only for a game or two. This team is too young and inexperienced to get a wake up call that's going to put them on course for a great season. THey have enough trouble without the wake up calls.

8. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

I think I heard the same thing after the lost to the Jazz and the Suns.
    Injuries play a part, but there are a lot of flaws in this team that go beyond just "wake up call."

9. thejav

thejav Member

I would think the wake up would have been after the losses to subpar teams..guess not.. :/

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No its not a wake up call. They need a teammate that will light a fire under their asses. I don't think Rondo is a good fit, but I know that he can do that.

The thing I liked best about the old rockets team especially 09' was that they played hard every game. Never gave up. If we don't have that than we are not a contender imo.

11. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

We've already gotten several wake up calls so far after losing to sub 0.500 teams. Nothing's really done about them though. This team regularly goes into games without a plan. People also grossly underestimate how shorthanded we are; not having Lin and Asik means we're basically missing half the bench. Frankly I'm surprised that we're not blown out more often.

12. joepu

joepu Member

You get the feeling they are just coasting. Yao and Tmac teams won 50+ games multiple times with less talent around them and with one of them out half the time. This team can win 60 but the sense of urgency just isn't there.

13. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

The team's goal for this season is to get playoffs home court advantage. It's the unrealistic homie fans, especially those without comcast and don't watch a lot of games, that need a wake-up call.

14. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

The Bulls, of course.

15. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Royce White got to McHale. Now McHale thinks he's just a co-worker and not the boss.

No need to push for accountability when you're just a co-worker

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Wake up call for what? I didn't expect to get beaten down by 30, but 18-10 is completely acceptable with our injury issues. We knew OKC, San Antonio, and the Clippers would have better records at this point in the season. Portland is surprising, but they'll come back to Earth. I didn't expect to get dropped by 30, but Indiana was at home and they were still ticked off about blowing the game at Miami.

And why is the coaching staff getting so much ish? You'd think we were playing sub .500 with the need to trade Harden or Howard because they couldn't play together. We're essentially starting a rookie PF, our PG averages 2.3 assists per game, and we have huge value taking up space on the bench demanding a trade. 82-0 or bust?