1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You're only as good as your last ten at-bats.

awc713, BigM, MoMobley and 1 other person like this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

Okay that is a tad too rich but if I was the GM (I know, there's a million reasons why I'm not), I'd def offer 4/90. I think that's fair. I personally love Gausman because he has great peripherals, misses bats and is efficient and durable, but there are risks to every big contract.

MoMobley likes this.
  3. htownbball

htownbball Member

How exactly did Correa lead the league in WAR? None of his traditional counting stats were crazy. Is it just position premium and his defense was that good this year?

4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

SS as a premium position, but earned 3 DWAR, good for the greatest defensive SS season of all time according to Baseball Reference.

5. Buck Turgidson

Huh?

AE had a 3.3 and 4.1 in 05-6 according to B-R's dWAR (not that those are the highest either, I just knew he was higher than 3)

MoMobley likes this.
  6. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Ok I'm tripping, forgot where I saw that from.

Still an insane defensive season for a guy most associate with the bat.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

We "paid the man" Verlander and he played like what 6 games? Correa might average 120 games a year.
    I say let the Rangers "pay the man"
    40 million a year.

Squirtle likes this.
  8. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

Way too much money for an injury I
    prone player

9. Buck Turgidson

Holy crap, Andrelton Simmons had a 5.1 in 2017, which tied a guy from 100 years earlier for 2nd highest all-time at any position (AE's 4.1 is tied for 15th)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_season.shtml

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We need the “Moneyball” approach. We can’t replace Correa. We need two guys who can share duties at SS that can add up close to what Correa did offensively...like we did for Springer. As far as defense, we’ll just have to take the hit. He’s the one leaving the family. Should he get paid way more than Altuve? No. He’s going to miss it around here. Sure, we’ll miss him but he will miss the playoff baseball every year more. Let someone else overpay for him for ten years service. We got his best years already. We’ve seen his max output stuff. Thank you for you’re service. Buh bye.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Over the years Clutch fans, Astro fans have critized Carlos Correa injury, Bad back, Broken Rib, Broken Leg.
    Unhealthy for years and got distracted by his now wife. Daniella got criticized also, by Correa rub injury.

Anyway the Astros have accepted Carlos Correa is a rental now and are ready move on to Jeremy Pena.

Jeremy Pena I think can hit .260 20 hr 70 rbi, for years Carlos Correa has produce these Stats.

1 Injury free season does not equal 10 years $300 million

$300 Mil should be spent on the Minor League Players, Facilities, Stadium.

Signing Latin Prospects, Spend on Facilities in the Dominican, Venezuela

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

Sign Correa
    Trade pena during next year's deadline for a shutdown pitcher.

mightybosstone likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What was conveniently glossed over in "moneyball" was the fact that the A's had 3 young stud starting pitchers, each capable of winning a Cy Young any year, and each of them pitching 200 innings/year.

I'm not that concerned about what Carlos can add to this team over the next 3-4 years. I'd be more concerned about Bregman's regression and Altuve facing an expected age-related decline both offensively and defensively. I'd be more concerned about what sort of years and health Brantley and Yuli give you next year. I'd be more concerned about the health of LMJ for the life of his contract. I still get scared every time Alvarez runs the bases or runs hard in the field... unlike Correa's back (deemed non surgical, and improved with better training), Alvarez does have structural issues with the knees and you can't change how big he is.

Tucker may be the only "worry free" player for the foreseeable future... fits his attitude. I'm a little more bullish on this team just automatically withstanding losing 7 WAR players. And by the time his potential replacements have found their footing, this entire core will have a vastly different make up.

DVauthrin and Rileydog like this.
  14. right1

right1 Member

I would keep Peña and make him a super utility INF/4th OF like '17-'19 Marwin. Although, next year the Astros will have 6 capable OF's already. They are in a position to trade one of the 3 CF's a la the Straw trade which netted them Maton and a great catching prospect.

Radricky and Nick like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jeez... can we let the guy make his MLB debut before we start assigning him a set role or projecting his career potential?

Pena, Leon, whoever... there's always going to be an adjustment period, there's potentially going to be a need for them to be sent back down, there's potentially going to be a scenario where one of them just doesn't make it, and of course there's the scenario that they both thrive/excel and do exactly what every heralded Astros prospect since Jon Singleton has done (eventually adjust... and mash).

DVauthrin likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Who do you have in mind that could be available next season?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Grienke and Verlanders money comes off the books, we should be able to use that to sign Correa.

DD

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

but is that a wise decision? We talking about at least 7, 8 years contract and we all know his injury history and inconsistency.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I get the durability concerns, but Correa has basically played two full seasons in a row. Plus, he is not an inconsistent hitter. In 5 of his 7 MLB seasons, he has finished with an .OPS above .800 and has a career .OPS of .837. The only two seasons he didn’t were the two-month season last year and in 2018. Then, look at the postseason production. Remember how frustrating Bagwell and Biggio were in the playoffs. Correa is the opposite. He shines on the brightest stage.

Also, it always baffles me when fans worry about a billionaire’s money or six, seven or eight years down the road. First, Jim Crane can afford to pay Carlos Correa a long-term contract at fair market value and put a championship-caliber team on the field at the same time. $57 million in payroll comes off the books this offseason (Verlander and Greinke). Next year, they have $40-$50M in free agents (Brantley, Yuli, Pressly, Castro, Baez, Diaz, possibly Odorizzi depending on what he does with his player option). Arbitration raises for Tucker, Alvarez, Garcia, Urquidy, etc, aren’t going to suck all of it up. They can keep some of those key free agents (Brantley, Yuli, Pressly, Castro, Graveman), sign Correa and still have room to bolster the starting rotation via trade.

Second, by the time Correa hits year six and beyond of that contract, the Astros’ payroll obligations and roster will look entirely different. I care about putting the best team on the field for next season and a three-or-four year window. Having Correa on this team in 2022 and the next three-to-four years makes the Astros a better team.

In my opinion, Correa should and needs to retire an Astro. He is everything you want in a player. Very good-to-great hitter, gold glove defender, team leader, great in the community, great in the postseason and relishes being at the plate in clutch situations. He’s also a great representative for this franchise, and he wants to stay. He could have said that he was interested in testing free agency before the season, and instead, he goes on Astroline, and tells everyone that he loves it here and wants to be an Astro for life.

He may leave after the season, but I hope he doesn’t.

#1419 DVauthrin, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    right1, everyday eddie and Nick like this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1 game