1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bregman will be making 30 million a year the last 2 years of his deal.

awc713 and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are a lot of Yankees fans on both sides of this. But universally they don’t feel he’s worth 30 million/year.

biggest fear is that they’ve resorted back to the type of decisions that stalled out the franchise prior to the re-dedication to the farm system.

#962 Nick, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'd like the Astros to try to keep him. But I think he's leaving.

Hopefully it's not the rich getting richer and it's not a team like the Dodgers or Yankees.

That's the worst part about him potentially leaving. We don't know which team it's going to be. And that scares me.

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'd be shocked if Correa goes to the Tigers, or any place that is not a big-market team. I believe he wants to go to a high-profile team like Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs that has money to pay him. I think his heart is in Houston, but his agent and brain is elsewhere. If Correa doesn't accept the highest paid player as Astros for his next contract, we shouldn't keep him.

5. Radricky

Radricky Member

6. Buck Turgidson

Oh that's cool and all, but that's reading way too much into something you could not understand.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

vince likes this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would love to see him with the blue Jays. That has become a team that I like seeing. Biggios son, yulis brother, Springer. They are like our cousins.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think Correa wants 10 years, 300+ given the Tatis and Lindor contracts. While it’s certainly possible one team is willing to do that I think the odds are he probably doesn’t get that: uncertainty with a new labor agreement, lots of shortstops on the market, the teams that need shortstops and can spend big may not be willing to spend quite that big.

So let’s say something like 7 years at 245 is out there and the Astros match. What does that do for the ability to resign Alvarez, Tucker, and some combination of Valdez/García/Urquidy when the time comes?

It looks like they all hit free agency in 2026 with the exception of García who will still be in Arbitration. Altuve / Bregman will be free agents in 2025. Altuve is going to earn less than he is now, but the others could all be in for big pay days. Assuming Gurriel, Brantley and the high priced pitching is gone, if a catching prospect pans out it seems doable retain most of them if Crane is willing to spend close to the current tax.

If they don’t sign Correa it seems like they could keep most of the current core and sign a big name pitcher. I don’t spend a lot of time looking at contracts though, so maybe I’m way off on this.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You just can't give a 10 year 300+ million dollar contract to a 6 hole hitter, even if they are a strong leader and good fielder.

11. htownbball

htownbball Member

So we've offered him 6 years/$120M and 5 years/$125M...I feel like him showing he can stay healthy has alleviated some fears about injury which guarantees at least an extra year, would the Astros be willing to tack on one more year to bring it up to 8 years? I really don't think that's a huge problem. Can they put up the extra $5M a year to get him 8 years and $240M? That money gets you a decent relief pitcher. I think I'd rather have Carlos and you find cheap and effective relief options via minor leaguers or prove it deals with veterans.

- 8 years $250M (nice round number)
    - Opt out after 3 years to get him another deal at his age 30 season
    - Full no trade clause
    - $500k each Incentives for 600 Plate Appearances, top 5 WAR, Gold Glove finalist, Silver Slugger finalist, MVP votes (potential $33.75M/yr just under Lindor's $34.1M)
    - Vesting options in years 9 and 10 based on calculation of games played, Plate Appearances, OPS that lock in at $35M/yr

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

He’d be better than a 6 hole hitter on most teams and he’s also one of the best defense shortstops.

I think it’s unlikely he gets 10 years, 300+. I think he wants that though, and I think it’s at least possible one team could offer something close to that.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. HeyBudLetsParty

no one would bat an eye if Bregman and Correa switched spots 3 and 6…

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on the year, this year? Sure, last year? No way. 2018? No way.

2017? He'd be the 3 or 4 hitter on most teams.

You just never know which version of him you're going to get.....which is why a 10 year contract should be completely out of the question.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Both those statements are selling Correa far short. He's been the 3rd best hitter on the best hitting team in the league this year. He doesn't control where they bat him. And by FWAR he's by far the most valuable fielder in the game.

Combine in one player early 00s Adam Everett's defense and Jeff Kent's bat, and add in the leadership qualities and postseason success. That's 2021 Correa as a free agent at 26. He's going to get paid, and rightly so.

BigM likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree he'll get more than he's worth, I just hope it's not here. A 10 year 300 mil+ contract would be an anchor around the Astros necks. They'd be better off spending that money elsewhere.

17. vince

vince Member

Carlos is worth the contract he’s about to be given because the man is at the top of his game…. Of course philosophically speaking, it’s likely not right! But it’s the sports world and capitalism at its finest!

He just needed to stay healthy long enough to make baseball pundits salivate at a baseball season long stretch…. Correa will likely still be gold glove quality through age 32, and afterwards if he takes a defensive step back, put him in at 3rd base.

I think a 10 year contract is his goal, and much like season tickets; you’re gonna pay regular prices for preseason games! His last 3 seasons, will be more an average player than anything close to MVP level.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And rich guys buy season tickets only to have dibs to the playoff tickets.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Astros have been totally fine with a 30 million dollar anchor on their roster the last 2 years. I’d give Carlos 30/300 but I’m sure the Astros won’t. It’d be a gamble but not a crazy one.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member