1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya he's going to get more limelight on the Astros.

He also has built really strong bonds with a lot of the guys here especially Altuve.

raining threes likes this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Astros can afford to do one of these long mega contracts and it not cripple them. Players a few years older than Correa have been getting 10+ year deals and those surely won't age well. I'd imagine the Astros would front load the deal as they definitely have the room the next few years and then a smaller annual salary on the backend when you'd expect his production to go down.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  3. Screaming Fist

My biggest worry about Correa heading into this year was his mediocre performance in 2020 while healthy, and those questions were largely answered by how he performed in the playoffs. The back has been healthy for a few years now so while it certainly impacts what he'll be offered I think something in the ballpark of $200M is certainly fair and has a good chance of working out for the signing team.

I just don't see why the Astros didn't make a serious effort to extend him given where they are in their contention cycle. imo, they probably have another 4-6 years of contention before they will need to go through some sort of rebuilding cycle which aligns with when Correa should be productive under his new contract. By the time Correa has undergone serious decline the Astros will likely not be competitive anyway so eating bad money won't be a concern from a competitive standpoint. By only presenting a joke offer to Correa they are now in the position where they will likely need to relinquish a valuable draft pick in order to sign a decent SS (when there aren't really any legitimate internal options) or go bargain hunting when they have plenty of money to burn and a gaping hole at SS.

Tomstro likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I would give Correa 7 years.

Ask the Mets how that 1st year of that Lindor deal is going? LOL.

5. Screaming Fist

I think he’s hitting a little worse than what you would expect but he’s more-so been a victim of bad luck. He’s also never had much more than a good but not great bat and much of his value is in the field.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Correa is getting big money over a lengthy contract. He's gone.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Great fielding SSs like Metzger and Everett don't get break the bank contracts. 85 OPS+ in the first 1/3rd of the season can only be described as a disappointment.

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Correa is likely gone at his current play. He is the youngest of the star SS to hit 22 FA and he easily having the best season at the plate right now.

Having said that, it is not the end of the world for the Astros. If Bregman can get healthy and re-find his form; he can move over to SS. Yuli is probably too old to play 3B, but that does give the team more flexibility to find some replacement production with either a 3B or SS.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, if the Astros choose not to offer one of those, he will go to a team that is willing to.

But if things are somewhat equal, I would expect he'd rather just stay here. I certainly don't get the impression that he's only going to play in a big market for better marketing.

10. Screaming Fist

It's surely a disappointment but it doesn't seem to evidence any deterioration of skill from Lindor. More bad luck than anything based on his xwOBA.

11. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I am 100% certain of how this will play out.

1. Correa will sign here
    2. Unless he does not
    3. We will find out in the offseason

12. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure what delaying a year does for him. It just means all the teams that signed those 2021 free agents won't be in the market for an SS in 2022. Yeah, you're the best in the class (probably already is), but you're in a market where a whole bunch of teams just signed their SS's the previous year.

The Beard likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

We don't actually know what he was asking for though. We just know he didn't like the offers the Astros were making and he wanted either more money or more years.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How many of these 10yr/300mil contracts ever work out? Just move Alex to ss and find a 3rd baseman.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

We haven't really seen the backend of one those yet. 10+/300+ are new to the game. The Alex Rodriguez 10 year contract wasn't bad. Pujos was but hell, that took him into his 40s. Correa would be what, 36/37 at the end?

If the Astros did a 10 year contract it woud be done the "Astros Way"...front loaded with a player opt out after 5 or 6 years. Since this contract would pay him less those last few years he very well could opt out and make even more than the Lindor contract over those 10 years.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Imo Carlos will continue to get better until he is like 33-4 and then will drop off as his body ages . But we’ve seen Yuli be really damn good too .

imo you gotta keep him . Shoulda woulda coulda made a better offer before the season . Now a moot point .

his approach and eye shouldn’t fall off even if his power or speed declines . Not crazy for him to stay athletic for a while longer . Power usually declines slower . His arm is great . Even if you have to move him to 3rd , his bat should still be very good .

he IS clutch . Even in minor leagues his percentages with runners on or with 2 outs were a cut above . I dunno what his stats are in the majors , but it wouldnt surprise me if they were excellent, comparatively .

guy has all the tools and is smart . Has intangibles to be a leader in the clubhouse and personally I loved his attitude once we became villains.

it’s different than a QB in football , or a top 10 guy in the nba... but Correa is baseball’s closest thing to a franchise player . We’ve got some good young pitching under control , let’s get greedy with the offense and have more years of this core . Tucker and Alvarez look promising , Bregman and tuve too . Yuli will probably face Father Time at some point in the next 5 years , but you can deal with that later .

to me it’s a no brainer . You’re not gonna bottom out again in the next 5 years . But there’s 40 rounds so you can find some good prospects .

if in 5 years we aren’t competing and correa’s contract is an albatross you can move him and eat some salary.

try to give him an 8 year deal instead of 10 . But I wouldn’t make it a dealbreaker . Teams have had these and haven’t gone bankrupt .

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Pay the man. JV and Grienke come off the books next year and we’ve already lost Keuchel, Cole and Springer.

I want career Astros like Biggio and Bagwell. Altuve, Bregman, and Correa should be those guys.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

19. HeyBudLetsParty

Correa is a special talent and freakishly clutch, first overall pick and only 26. It seems like his call up cemented us as a threat and we’ve had a chance at winning the World Series ever since. No reason to believe he won’t stay at this level provided he stays healthy for another 5 years. Hopefully we offer him 8/240 and he takes it considering ties and legacy, but as Astros fans this is the minimum offer we should expect from the franchise. Don’t forget the multiple 100 loss seasons that went into getting Correa and co.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

The Astros must pay. He's the whole team. Always has been. Hand over the mega deal and be happy about it. That said, his best career move is to leave and establish a new legacy. He is actually going to undervalue himself if you ask me because he isn't thinking even bigger, but we'll see how it plays out.