1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I liked Correa’s body language last night. He carries himself as a leader...he wasn’t pouty or Carlos Gomezing. Not sure what poor body language is being referenced, that seems a bit nit picky IMO. I loved when he went out to chat with Canoli in the 7th inning...that was a big spot and I like him going out there and talking with a young RP.

phasors28 and Rockets FTW like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really isn't a leap, when you scoff at 6 years saying it's not a long term contract while saying that Francisco Lindor set the market, you are saying you want 10 years.

The problem for Correa is that Lindor doesn't have a history of back problems, has played more than 100 more games over the past 3 years AND has a considerably higher OPS over that time frame. Simply put, Correa isn't close to worth that kind of deal either from a performance standpoint or a health standponit.

Now I'm sure he wanted both more money AND more years, but the Astros were wisely unwilling to even consider any deals longer than 6 years. If he finds a sucker to pay him for a decade, more power to him. I wish him well.....but I'm glad it won't be the Astros doing it.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That was indeed a good moment. Between the contract negotiations going sour and Pedro Leon SS quotes from GM Click, makes for an interesting year. Probably can't get a package that would appease fans but something is something if it comes to it. Just gotta enjoy some Astros ball with Carlitos and see what happens.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Whenever Correa starts talking about baseball being a business, gives me A-Rod to Yankees vibes. Lindor did set market and that's what Correa believes he's worth. That's really all that matters in the scheme of things and I don't think he'd hesitate to leave and join a rival...watch him shift to 3B for the Bronx Bombers.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This kind of stuff is what made the World Series so awesome when the Astros won after their history etc. but ultimately this is why I could never really be a huge fan because it’s lame as hell that these teams can stack their lineups year after year.

Being a Dallas Cowboys fan and then sucking into perpetuity is what is fair. If the NFL had the same rules the Cowboys would probably have 5 more super bowls by now because they would have just bought them.

6. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

your dumb as rocks...you need to retain your top picks and players, thats the name of the game. Not do well for 4-5 years and then just give up all your stars. Lost Cole, Morton, Springer, Marwin and now Correa. Yankees, Dodgers wouldn't let this happen, our window is 2-3 years at most, Why not maximize it? It's not like we have a great farm system either. 200/8 years is worth it

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I say let them. If they didn't learn from being stuck with A-Rod let them repeat the mistake with Correa.

everyday eddie and Rockets FTW like this.
  8. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Amazingly, the intellectual content of this post actually went downhill after this tremendous opening.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Why would the Yankees do that? Correa's value as a 3rd baseman is much less than at SS.

2019-2020 Combined stats

Gio Urshela (4.65 million dollar salary in 2021 with 2 years of arbitration left)
    175 games, 27 HR, 104 RBI, .310 BA, .358 OBP, .881 OPS, 133 OPS+

Carlos Correa (11.7 million dollar salary in 2021 and wants 10 year mega deal)
    133 Games, 26 HR, 104 RBI, .272 BA, .345 OBP, .836 OPS, 119 OPS+

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The best run the Yankees had in the free agency era still remains largely due to homegrown player development. Frankly most of the free agents they've gotten haven't exactly worked out. They went away from the draft and tried signing everybody. Their core is a little more homegrown the last 5 years, compared to the 5 years before that, but they're still more than a decade since winning it all.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Correa brings intangibles such as leadership, swagger, "the clutch gene" that cannot be measured by metrics. Its not my money, but I would have offered at least $30mil/per year.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They may have given it... if they had utmost confidence he'd be healthy for all of it.

If that's the target, and he'd accept a shorter deal (5-6 year... with an opt out after 3), AND he finally has a healthy/breakthrough season, that could be on the table.

Again, both sides may get what they want eventually. But its too hard to predict what sort of year he's going to have. If he's healthy throughout, he should produce... and he'll get taken care of.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

https://stathead.com/tiny/yNjnD

Those stats barely tell the story. Almost every advanced statistic and projection model rates Correa over Gio and It's not close. This would be a power move by the Yanks as money isn't an issue for them. Taking away a rival's star player could be the swing needed. This would also be an upgrade (albeit not huge) but yes I can see why they could/would keep Gio over Carlitos.

https://evanalytics.com/mlb/leaderboards/hitter-rankings
    Even an all-encompassing ranking from EVAnalytics, something I trust, has Correa (75th) as a better player than Gio (176th). Now, this also completes my argument for getting rid of him as he isn't worth Lindor money even though that's what he wants. Lindor 56th :confused: indicates overpay.

Yordan 2nd best hitter in AL per the rankings.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yeah if he plays 160 games this season(and much better stats than last year), just maybe, Astros will consider it

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

160 games and a .900+ OPS would start the conversation

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You are missing the biggest point. It is about value and even the Yankees are luxury tax shy right now. The Yankees have 16 players in arbitration next year plus raises to Severino and Britton. Judge will be entering his walk year next season. If they are going to over pay an often injured star player it will be Judge not Correa. They also have very little money coming off the books with Kluber and Bruce the only for sure free agents, and a couple other small salary guys with team options. They aren't going to spend 25-30 million for ten years for Correa when they have Urshela for 2 more seasons at MAYBE 15 million total.

Also, in 2019 TWELVE 3rd baseman had a higher OPS than Correa's career OPS of .833. You don't pay Correa 200 plus million to be the 13th best hitting 3rd baseman.....

17. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

With your insight, I am absolutely amazed that you were not snatched up and made General Manager

RockFanFirst likes this.
  18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Sound logic and I get it... but they are the Yankees. People thought the Dodgers wouldn't be able to pay for Turner and they ended up overspending/dipping WAY into the tax for him and Bauer. Paying Judge is for sure the top priority but I wouldn't put it past them or a AL team on the rise to put in a competitive offer to snag Correa away from the Astros. What if the Astros stick to 5 years, 125 million and Yankees offer 200 million over 8 years. That's not a tough figure for them to hit, especially when they want to win the pennant.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If they want to pay Correa that they can have him.

Bobbythegreat and Rockets FTW like this.
  20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Completely agree.