1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the best Rockets' team since 96' - 97' ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Troy McClure, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Look at the lineup of today :

Pf - Juwan Howard - Maurice Taylor - Scott Padgett
    Sf - Jim Jackson - Bostjan Nachbar
    C - Yao Ming - Dikembe Mutombo
    Sg - Tracy Mcgrady - Tyronn Lue
    Pg - Bob Sura - Charlie Ward

The 96' - 97' Lineup :

Pf - Charles Barkley - Kevin Willis
    Sf - Mario Elie - Matt Bullard
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon - Othella Harrington - Charles Jones
    Sg - Clyde Drexler - Eddie JOhnson
    Pg - Matt Maloney - Brent Price

obviously today's team has much to prove ( considering the 96 - 97' team was one Malone bear hug away from defeating the Bulls in the finals). But on paper, the lineup today looks much deeper and more balanced. Then again, there is no Olajuwon.

Back to white point guards though !!!! Yee Haw!

:p

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It's hard to compare the two teams because the '96/'97 team was relatively old, and today's team is comprised of younger superstars. On paper I like the Hakeem-Drexler-Barkley team, but I also think that Yao/Tmac/Juwon could be something special.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That 96-97 team won 57 games and should have made the finals, I think this team would be lucky to get to the WC finals.

4. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

Its hard to say. You can't really ever compare any team on paper, we really need to see how this team performs.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of great paper teams didn't live up to expectations or at least the level of talent their rosters indicated. The 2003-2004 Lakers come to mind. I don't think you can answer this question for another 1-2 years.

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

That team had a championship caliber head coach. This team has an average one.

7. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

First time I feel Rudy fans are as annoying as us Rookie YOFs
    two years ago. :rolleyes:

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I thought the Francis/Mobley/Rice/Griffin/Yao team was the best team ever assembled, it was according to Les however. :)

9. Charvo

Charvo Member

That is similar to what Mark Cuban said a few days ago about the Mavericks he has assembled. Here's hoping the Mavericks don't make the playoffs.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i'd pick this team over any of the teams that came after the 96/97 season any day. ESPECIALLY the one with Pippen and how he lost that playoff game for us because of his inability to dribble correctly.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

The 96/97 team had Hakeem, at the tail end of his prime years. One of the most dominant forces at both ends of the court that the NBA has ever seen.

Nothing else matters. Case closed.

Ask me again in 3-4 years and I may have a different answer, though. :)

12. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

This year's team is not only better but far better.

Barkley has a BIG edge in talent over Juwan Howard. However, where was all the shots he needed to be at his best? Hakeem and Clyde had alot of them.

Hakeem and Yao. Hakeem is the best center of all time. Better than Wilt, better than Kareem, better than George Mikan, Bill Russell, David Robinson, and Patrick Ewing. However, Yao in his third season against Hakeem in 1996-1997? Yao could very well get 23 points a game and 10 for the whole season. In which case, having Hakeem sit down for 10 - 12 minutes and have Kevin Willis as his backup would be a downgrade with Dikembe substituting for Yao. I say the center position is even.

Mario Elie vs Jim Jackson. Not even close Jim is a better scorer at his present age than Mario was at his best. Additionally, he is in better shape, and is more athletic. Both are defensive stoppers. Advantage Jim Jackson

Clyde vs. TMac. As much as I love Clyde, its not that close because of the age disparity. Clyde had awesome years his last four years in Houston though. Advantage TMac

Matt Maloney vs. Bob Sura. compare the two players in any way you want, you'll see there really isn't one. Bob Sura wins hands down.

Now there is one x-factor that isn't mentioned. HEART. If this year's team has half the heart that our former two-time champs did. We'll have another championship banner raised. I believe.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the thing is hakeem could've easily still been a 25-26 ppg guy, it's just that with barkely around he points were due to come down a little. oh and hakeem was still way better on defense. lets not say silly things like the center position is even.

14. 3-a-charm

3-a-charm Member

Surely Lue is not going to back up TMac, I think Sura will do that. But, to answer your question; on paper, yes. By the All Star break, we will all know for sure.

15. pchan

pchan Member

As much as I like Yao, and I like T-mac.

I have to pick the 96-97 team.

First, they have Hakeem
    Second, they have Hakeem
    thirdly, they have hakeem

and then, you've got Barkley and Willis at backup

Drexler at the 2 with Eddie! Johnson. just imagine this year usa team has a guy like Eddie!

and then there is super mario, air bullad.

Big O, and the other charles

and then there is the duo of maloney and price.

This year team has nothing close to that.

But I do think this year team is the best since then.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Hold up, was Matt a second team all rookie that year? He put up some pretty good stats that year. Not saying he's a better player but he was damn good for that team.

17. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It's not like were John Stockton. 97 would just play good late 90's basketball and tire us out with their late 90s former superstar ways.

18. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

that is asinine stupidity to say that the center position is even............it aint even close

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This is pure comedy.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Hmmm, did you not watch the Seattle series in 1997? wow.