1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is this step back a travel?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Mar 31, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, in 1 1/2 steps terminology, the NBA is 2 1/2 steps. The 1/2 step refers to your final jump. So, in HS for all moves, and in the NBA for when you are set prior to the dribble, you get one step, then are allowed to lift your pivot foot, but can't bring it back down. Ppl call that 1 1/2 steps.

In the NBA, when you are dribbling or catching a pass "while progressing," you are allowed 2 steps...but the pivot being replanted as the 2nd foot can, again, come off the ground ... so you could call it 2 1/2.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The rule is "two steps" after gathering, correct?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It is unfortunate that the crux of your argument ultimately rests on a flawed premise.

I did not say that. I said the maneuver is not a clear legal play, and the reason some people perceive it as a travel is because they would argue he is “carrying” the ball (i.e he would not be allowed to continue his dribble). You disagreed with that, and gave your reasons. I said the rule book is not totally clear one way or the other — given lack of an explicit definition for “ball is at rest”. You have not convinced me otherwise.

4. heypartner

The rules don't say this. It clearly says you are allowed 2 steps upon ending a dribble. Maybe you pulled that apparent quote from another part of the traveling rules. Maybe you pulled that from the text regarding Prior to Dribbling, where you only get one step ... see Kawhi shuffle travels.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't know the NBA allowed a step more than other levels. But you are talking about steps prior to dribbling. I thought we were talking about steps AFTER the dribble.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Yes but we’re talking about Lebron’s “Crab” dribble. It’s a completely different move.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some to understand. In the NBA the gather step doesn't count, so you get effectively a 0 step plus 1-2. You can take those steps in any direction.

BigMaloe, Blurr#7 and heypartner like this.
  8. heypartner

See your post #7. That's when we went down the rabbit hole. Whether it is your argument or not, you made it a point of debate, which I engaged.

Can you explain why you think the rule book is unclear on whether McCollum is carrying/palming or not? For like the 3rd time, can you explain. At this point, I'm not trying to prove you wrong or convince you, I just don't understand why anyone thinks this is confusing (per my first post here), and seek a reason why, like you do.

Is it merely your argument that you can say things contrary to league explanations, rulings on the court and L2Ms, and until ppl convince you otherwise, it remains correct. That's such weird debating. There's a word for that debating style.

9. heypartner

:confused:

Read my post again. I explained both prior to dribbling and after.

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Look at that video again. LeBron's right hand doesn't touch the ball until his right foot is down. This is when he's "gathered", correct? Then, he takes two steps.

Subtract one from each number/step they counted.

It's strange we're on opposite ends because you think the OP is clearly legal.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to "crab dribbles" or any other kind of move intended to exploit the "0 step" on the gather, it all depends on timing. If you get it right, it's not a travel, if you get it wrong, it's a travel. The "0 step" can turn into your 1 step if your timing is even slightly off....which makes it REALLY hard to call correctly at game speed.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Blurr#7

Correct but again we’re looking at two different moves. You can’t gather hop then take two steps

13. Blurr#7

Think of it as a power dribble in the paint. Once you land with both feet the move is complete. You can’t power dribble, land with the right foot and take another step.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

LOL. Then what did the OP do ?

Honestly, I remember LeBron's move being worse in his rookie season. What year was that ?
    Define power dribble

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Fine. Just don't assume that I am stating he traveled. I never said that. That's why I don't have a problem with it not showing up in the L2M reports. The league is allowing it, and I recognize that.

What I'm saying is that there is quite obviously a lot of people -- including professional refs, apparently -- who would consider this an illegal basketball play. So its worth breaking it down why they see it that way, and considering if this is something the NBA may address at some point.

Let's reset for a moment. To be clear: I don't profess to be an expert on the NBA rule book. If I'm wrong, and the rules are in fact clearly spelled out that its not a travel, I would be perfectly OK with that. I have no reason to engage with you and win this argument just as some sort of debating practice. Just as I assume you are being sincere with your argument, even though I am not yet convinced of it, I ask that you do the same.

With that said, I'll explain my position one more time. The NBA rule book spells out when the dribble ends. The player is not permitted to take more than 2 steps after ending the dribble. One of the ways in which the dribble ends is when the ball is at rest under the player's control. So, what qualifies as the ball is at rest?

You argued that the conditions for when the ball can be considered at rest can be inferred from the dribbling violations section. That sounds reasonable. Here is what it says (from the 13/14 rule book):

a. A player shall not run with the ball without dribbling it.

b. A player in control of a dribble who steps on or outside a boundary line, even though not touching the ball while on or outside that boundary line, shall not be allowed to return inbounds and continue his dribble. He may not even be the first player to touch the ball after he has re-established a position inbounds.

c. A player may not dribble a second time after he has voluntarily ended his first dribble.

d. A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and (1) carry it from one point to another or (2) bring it to a pause and then continue to dribble again.

e. A player may dribble a second time if he lost control of the ball because of: (1) A field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring (2) An opponent touching the ball (3) A pass or fumble which touches his backboard, basket ring or is touched by another player

You claimed that this list defines when a ball is at rest. First, note that if did so then the definition is circular given (c). Further, grabbing the ball from the top is not covered here, but surely that should also count as a violation as per (c).

So, evidently, what "ball is at rest" actually means is, ultimately, left to the intuition of the reader. When I say that it could be argued there was a carry violation, I meant that some people (like that ref from the Blazer's board) who watch that play could feel that the ball has to come to rest prior to his last 3 steps being taken. Other people can disagree with that, as you clearly do and the league (for the time being) clearly does.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't "gather hop" he did a "gather step" and then took 2 steps. Sort of like a sideways Euro step. With a "gather hop" you land on both feet at the same time.

Houstunna and Blurr#7 like this.
  17. Blurr#7

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Slick moves by McCullom and LeBron.

Neither are travels according to the rules.

19. Blurr#7

Lol Jesus, here watch this:

20. heypartner

That's a link to High School rules. For all I know, HS still doesn't allow 2 steps, like it didn't when I was playing.

Interjecting HS rules into these discussion really needs a big disclaimer, as it leads to all the misunderstand causing these threads of confusion to pop up multiple times per year. We even have a ref from the Portland fan bbs (not an NBA ref) saying McCollum traveled , because he isn't allowed 2 steps.

That misinformation is causing these ongoing wrong threads. It's like the same effect Russia's use of Fake News on social media corrupts the truth while controlling the discussion, to try to gain such fan outrage the NBA changes policy. That's exactly what Kerr attempted, except he doesn't actually want a change in rules since Curry's step back would be affected, so maybe he's conspiring only to get Harden reffed differently than everyone else.