1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this step back a travel?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Mar 31, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you think the NBA will adjust the rules in the offseason to curtail this, just like they stopped giving shooting fouls for some foul-baiting 3-point shots this past year?

2. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Thats a travel! Harden's legit!

Jontro likes this.
  3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

No travel, same concept. Rhythm dribble, gather and two steps. The direction of the two steps is irrelevant.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  4. durvasa

I'm wondering if the NBA would consider limiting the number of steps a player can take between the start of their last dribble and the shot. I think "purists" might argue that it should be no more than 3 -- one step allowed during the last dribble, and two after the gather. It's when you allow multiple steps during that last dribble that people start to question whether it is a travel or not.

Watch this top 10 for Dr. J. They would all be legal under those constraints:

Not sure if Hakeem’s moves would still be legal. Even in slow motion they are too fast for me to figure out.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I continue to not understand why ppl suggest that is a travel. It's clearly two steps. Not even close to a travel.

And no, I don't think the NBA will ever change the rules to prevent 2-steps from being allowed unless you step towards the basket. Side-ways and step-backs will be allowed. The move is basically just collecting your dribble and allowing shooters to make one step, plus squaring up to shoot off of both feet.

I don't see why some consider squaring up to shoot off of two feet abuses the rules more than two steps towards the basket to allow higher jumps...and now, fancy Euro Steps.

This is not a travel ... fans just need to learn the rules.

6. heypartner

The refs don't know which dribble will be the last, then would have to backtrack in their mind to count steps.

Seems like a wildly, mistake-prone counting method

Why would you prefer that vs allowing the refs to simply start the count at the defined "End of the Dibble", which is defined by when two hands are put on the ball. That's a much simpler point to start the count.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  7. durvasa

Maybe it is simpler. But I wonder how far NBA players will take it. It could be argued that it is a carry or palming violation to hold the ball with one hand like that and fit in those extra steps, as McCollum is doing.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The clip in the OP is a travel.

In essence, it's the jump-step LeBron was doing early in his career, which was quickly outlawed.

The player in the video collects his dribble, steps, then jumps sideways, then squares up for the shot. He needs to either 1) remove his extra step before jumping sideways (or whichever direction) or 2) take another dribble.

Jontro likes this.
  9. heypartner

McCollum is NOT palming or carrying ... not even close. It's like a prime example of what is not carrying/palming on a step back.

And if he were, there is already a rule for that, hence no rule change needed; further, your rule change would also not address palming on whenever you want to start the count.

There is no problem. imso, only reason you are suggesting there is is because all the ppl who don't understand the rule are causing an unnecessary debate out of ignorance.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  10. durvasa

According to the rule book, is a player allowed to stop their dribble and take an unlimited number of steps so long as the ball remains in only one hand?

If not, why not?

11. ballscientist1

From 1896 to 2009 June, this is a travel violation.

In 2008-2009 season, this is a travel violation.

Starting from 2009 summer, this is not a travel. Now it is not a travel.

Believe in ball science!

#11 ballscientist1, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  12. heypartner

Step-backs like this are explained ad nauseum by refs why it isn't a travel; yet, you continue to insist it is.

You just don't know the rule, or are rebelling against it. Look up how the rule book defines when you end your dribble. Combine that rule with the fact dribblers are allowed two steps after the end of their dribble.

In that video, until McCollum ends his dribble by grabbing it with both hands (as clearly stated in the rules), you don't start the count. At that point, his right foot is down, and well within the rules for being a pivot foot.

And again, refs aren't calling this, and they continue to make video explaining why it isn't a travel. Why are you ignoring those explanations?

13. heypartner

Per the rules, you can end a dribble by grabbing it with one hand. This is not an example of that.

This is a clear example of McCollum still being able to continue his dribble all the way to the point of his second hand grabbing the ball.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"How can we stop Harden because he is too good"

15. durvasa

Your last sentence highlights the issue. You claim he would have been able to legally continue his dribble. I am saying that is not at all clear — if he continued his dribble it could be argued that it would constitute a palming violation because of the manner in which the ball is resting in his left hand. What is a carry and what isn’t is obviously a gray area, and it’s something the NBA has relaxed since Iverson et al. started popularizing it.

Should the two allowed step be from the point the ball is in both hands, or from the point at which it would be illegal for the ball-handler to continue their dribble? I think it should technically be the latter. And I could see the NBA making that clarification, if this starts getting out of hand.

ClutchCityReturns likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know how Dr. J's play were travel. He clearly took two steps after the gathering. How many steps he took at the last dribble before the gathering is irrelevant.

Dream's shakes were mostly legal as long as his pivot foot has not changed. There were a few times when he did leave his pivot foot off the floor and it should be called travel.

I do think the step back (or side step) is suspect. I guess I'm a "purist" in this sense. I think any step after gathering should be going forward, not backward or sideway. These plays should be treated as the post up footwork, and not as going up for dunk or layup.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is a judgment call. The rule is two steps after gathering. You can gather with one hand, like Dr. J clearly did. But not all players can gather with one hand, especially before shooting a jumper. So the refs will have to judge whether the steps were taken after the player has gathered the ball.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

A Two-Hand Theory can't be correct, otherwise players would dribble, then hold the ball like running back and never be called for traveling.

The OP is a clear travel.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have a question. Is the squaring up to shoot a clear rule or an interpretation of the two-step rule?

If it's the latter, the player would theoretically be allowed to take two steps to the side or backward to evade the defender.

20. durvasa

Right, which is what makes McCollumn’s move difficult to figure out. I don’t think you can define gather simply as end when both hands are on the ball. I think the issue here really stems from the NBA allowing palming in today’s game. There is no way his move would have been legal 25 years ago.

Easy likes this.