1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this article legit on our cap situation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Bob McNair thinks this is a playoff team so this is not 2006. BOB is going to be under intense pressure to deliver quickly. Keep in mind, the same core that went 2-14 last year went 22-10 the previous two years. So not only would it be financially impossible to massively turn over the roster, it'd be relatively foolish.

No money and seven drafts picks ain't gonna fix everything that needs fixin'.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why you fix the things you can fix. If you get a pass rusher like Clowney, a legit NT, some O line depth, and a QB prospect in the draft and a vet QB in FA on the cheap then I think the Texans could be in the mix for the playoffs making everyone happy. We wouldn't have fixed all of our holes, but we'd have taken care of the most important one's.

3. Summer Song Giver

I hear ya but, scoreboard?

Kansas City had quite a turnaround last year but they also made some very key changes to do it; adding legit talent to areas where they were lacking before, namely the QB position where Cassel was swapped out for Alex Smith. Round here, some are talking about bringing in the very guy they dumped (Cassel) to solve our problem at QB, I don't see it.

KC also got back what turned out to be the best RB in the league last year, if I'm not mistaken, in Jamal Charles, my recollection was has out the year before with (Kubiak speak) a knee. That's two very huge additions, not to mention the addition of Reid who was a tried and true winning coach in the league.

With all that said, I think this team's ceiling is 6 wins and I don't think it is going to get better soon as the talent your pointing to is getting up their in years. I believe the average age on this team is near the bottom of the league. I see this organization trending more towards the Jacksonville model than I do the Patriots model.

I think it's going to be a long 5-6 years, Houston.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Scoreboard is a terrible argument though. A lot of Jets fans in 2010 were trying to say that the Sanchize was better than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady because, scoreboard. Just because the Texans lost 14 games last year doesn't mean they don't have a ton of talent, it just means that talent didn't play well.

5. Summer Song Giver

Ok, I never heard anyone argue Sanchez was better than Brady or Manning... teams with a ton of talent don't lose 14 straight, Uncle Bob may think so but I think he will soon realize differently.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then you didn't talk to many Jets fans around 2009 or 2010. There was all kinds of talk how Sanchize broke the record for road playoff games and all anyone could talk about is how he "just wins". Like all "just wins" QB's, that was short lived.

Does the fact that the team lost 14 straight make JJ Watt a lesser player? Does it make Cushing a lesser player? Does it make Foster a lesser player? Does it make Andre Johnson a lesser player? Does it make Duane Brown a lesser player?

7. Remii

Remii Member

McNair is delusional if he thinks this is a playoff team. We are in the worst position of the teams drafting in the top 4 with a worst roster, IMO. That's why Rick Smith came out and said it was hard to watch the tape from last year (the games and the practices) and it has been said O'Brien wasn't happy with the roster.

They have over 20 players with non guaranteed contracts on the roster after this year. It shouldn't take too long to turn things around with this year's draft and next year's draft.

8. Summer Song Giver

Outside of Watt, there are serious questions regarding the talent you listed, health of the talent, age of the talent etc. And besides even if there were no questions with these 4, 4 does not make up a team with a ton of talent. You have serious deficiencies all over this roster, including at the top with the questions regarding the 4.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Talent at the 4? Are we talking about the Rockets or the Texans?

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

JJo's cap hit is indeed 11.25 mil, the "dead money" resulting from cutting him would be 7.5 mil, meaning we'd save less than 4 mil by cutting him....meaning he essentially can't be cut.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46432/59/team-by-team-salary-cap-notes?pg=2

25. Houston Texans
    Available Cap Space — $8,325,377

Andre Johnson’s wildly successful 2013 actually hurt the Texans. His 2014 cap hit -- which now stands at $15,644,583 -- has increased due to contract escalators. Houston will get a boost in cap room if it releases Matt Schaub ($14,125,000 2014 cap hit), but the $10,500,000 of dead money associated with Schaub equals cap savings of only $3,625,000. Finding a franchise quarterback is far and away the Texans' most important offseason task.​

13. Fantasma Negro

Can Dre restructure his contract into bonuses or is there a chance they could redo the Schaub money to lower his cap figure before they cut him